SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 20 December 2018, 21:21
Life is simple, not easy.

The Messenger

Stars Woody Harrelson and Ben Foster in the role of Causality Notification Team members. Ben's character recently was injured by an IED in Iraq and is assigned to this team, and Woody's character was in Desert Storm and has been in his role for quite some time. Woody is the Captain and Ben is the younger Staff Sgt. serving out his last 3 months.

I have seen Taking Chance and Gardens of Stone, and this movie was the same kick in the balls. My father and brothers are all LEO so they have learned over time to control their emotions quite well while having had to notify NOK many times, but I could never do this job. I am grateful there are men and women out there serving in this role but I don't think I could do it - I would be too emotionally involved to carry out this duty and would probably end up drinking again.

I liked the movie because it contrasted the Captain's behavior and the Staff Sgt's behavior well - experienced Captain detached and just doing his job, and the recently returned from combat Staff Sgt. a little more emotional and empathetic.

Link to IMDB here:
imdb.com/title/tt0790712/?ref_=nv_sr_3
Old 20 December 2018, 21:38
Been There Done That

That has got to be the toughest part of the job for a LEO.

And the service members doing notifications or those working in the mortuary affairs career field, a very emotionally tiring and very difficult job.

I don't think I could watch this movie. Seen the other two you mentioned though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 21 December 2018, 13:43
Conformed User

I had this job during 2003. I can't watch any movie that represents it (Taking Chance, Last Flag Flying).
Old 21 December 2018, 13:50
Unemployed Stunt Double

The most soul-wrenching tasks I had the honor to do, both as a LEO and a soldier.
Old 22 December 2018, 00:14
Been There Done That

Kevin Bacon made a movie about being a CAO in the military years ago. The name of the movie escapes me but it was realistic.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 22 December 2018, 00:18
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Kevin Bacon made a movie about being a CAO in the military years ago. The name of the movie escapes me but it was realistic.
I believe it was "Taking Chance." That was a great movie....

Our new posting rules