SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 5 May 2017, 13:02
Been There Done That

Looks like Season Two is out on NetFlix
Old 5 May 2017, 19:34
Life is simple, not easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopp700 View Post
Looks like Season Two is out on NetFlix
Good call, thanks. I had to watch the final two episodes of S1 so that I'd remember where it left off. Forgot how much I enjoyed the first season. Getting ready to open S2.
Old 5 May 2017, 19:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longrifle View Post

A major issue in Vikings is the "necessity" of a translator between the Danes and those occupying Angle-land in the 9th century. While there were distinct dialects on the island, the difference between Danish (at that time) and, say, West Saxon, was about like that of Spanish and Portuguese today, or even Danish and German today. Conversations would not require a translator, but treaties and legal issues would. Reading would require a translator, as Scandinavians used runes instead of letters at this time in history.
I missed the post last season. Great info as always LR!
😎
Old 6 May 2017, 23:34

I am 4 episodes in and every single episode is very well done. This show rivals Vikings, although different. It does a superb job of creating bonds between the characters and when alliances change it's believable. I liked S1 and S2 so far is excellent!
Old 10 May 2017, 16:36
FNG

Glad I saw this thread. I watched the first 3 episodes last night and was not disappointed. It seems they stepped their game up from the first season. I am looking forward to the rest of the second season.
Old 10 May 2017, 16:50

S2 was worth watching because each episode was packed full of intrigue and suspense. What an incredible 6 episode series.
Old 11 May 2017, 09:48
Confirmed User

Quote:

And the piggyback scabbard for a long battle sword is the equivalent of horns on helmets. It may look cool, but it is as impractical as "going commando" in a rugby match...
Longrifle, you never fail to impress with your knowledge but is the rugby reference from personal experience? 🤔
Old 11 May 2017, 22:48
Sound off for equipment check!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo King View Post
...is the rugby reference from personal experience? 🤔
Soccer is my game. As they say, "Rugby is a beastly game played by gentlemen. Soccer is a gentleman's game played by beasts."

Gentlemen would never go commando...
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bi ghwm t hē his frēond wrece, onne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgēowes
Old 12 May 2017, 08:05
Confirmed User

Watched the first two episodes...better than average. Wondering how accurate the battle scenes are...particularly the overlapping shields. Always got the impression that the vikings were more of a hit and run, guerilla warfare group.
Old 12 May 2017, 17:19
Confirmed User

Quote:
Watched the first two episodes...better than average. Wondering how accurate the battle scenes are...particularly the overlapping shields. Always got the impression that the vikings were more of a hit and run, guerilla warfare group.
I haven't watched the second season yet, but shield wall is legit. Initially, the "Vikings" were raiders who used the mobility of their ships to hit unprotected targets. By the time of Alfred, they had established rule over a significant portion of England ("Danelaw") and fielded significant forces. There was still small-scale border raiding, but large-scale battles were happening, too. Besides England, they sacked Paris and seized control of a sizeable portion of France (Normandy) and parts of Ireland, along with lots of less valuable areas (the Scottish Isles, etc).
Old 12 May 2017, 18:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82Redleg View Post
...Besides England, they sacked Paris and seized control of a sizeable portion of France (Normandy) and parts of Ireland, along with lots of less valuable areas (the Scottish Isles, etc).
And then there is Russia, whose very name comes from the Rus, the Swedish Vikings who established the Rurik Dynasty at Kiev in the late 9th century. The modern peoples of Belarus, Ukraine, and Russia all claim Kievan Rus' as their cultural ancestors.

(Saint) Vladimir of Kiev is everything to Russia that Patrick is to Ireland, and then some. Talk about a helluva biography...
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bi ghwm t hē his frēond wrece, onne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgēowes
Old 12 May 2017, 21:22
Confirmed User

Quote:

(Saint) Vladimir of Kiev is everything to Russia that Patrick is to Ireland, and then some. Talk about a helluva biography...
Recommend a book on this?
Old 12 May 2017, 23:44

Quote:
Recommend a book on this?
"Vladimir The Russian Viking," by Vladimir Volkoff. It's about 30 years old, but Amazon has the reprints cheap. I read it years ago and am still tempted to buy a copy. Well written and detailed.

Old 19 May 2017, 16:02
Old and Grumpy

I caught the first season this week. Highly recommended. Seems quite authentic.
Old 16 October 2017, 09:16
Confirmed User

I finally found time to dive into S2 and the first 4 episodes have been excellent. The writing and acting have been top notch. Since I wont be watching MNF I should be able to catch a few more episodes tonight.
Old 17 November 2018, 11:25

On November 22nd season 3 comes out on Netflix.
Old 17 November 2018, 13:14
Policeman Officer

Nice!
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 17 November 2018, 15:42

Drops on the 19th actually. Very good show. Way better than Vikings (which I lost interest in and stopped watching a long time ago). IMO
Old 21 November 2018, 07:44
Administrator

Great show.

Exposes the hypocrisy and legalistic nature of the church of England too. I'd probably have cut Alfreds and his wife throat though.
Old 21 November 2018, 09:32
Authorized Personnel

The wife has to limit me to 1 show per night (though I convinced her to watch two on Sunday) because she doesn't want me to blow through it in a handful of days.

Really well done. This and Norsemen are my two favorites in the genre.

Our new posting rules