SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 30 August 2018, 16:08
Been There Done That

"First Man" Movie

"First Man" is a movie about Neil Armstrong as the first man on the moon.

Of course the actor is Canadian and has this to say about cutting the American Flag out of the picture.

"But Ryan Gosling, the Canadian actor who plays Armstrong in “First Man,” Hollywood’s rendition of the moon landing, told the Telegraph the magic moment was intentionally omitted from the big screen because Armstrong’s achievement “transcended countries and borders.”..."

I think I'll pass on this revised history piece.

Link
Old 31 August 2018, 11:14
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAPete View Post
"First Man" is a movie about Neil Armstrong as the first man on the moon.

Of course the actor is Canadian and has this to say about cutting the American Flag out of the picture.

"But Ryan Gosling, the Canadian actor who plays Armstrong in “First Man,” Hollywood’s rendition of the moon landing, told the Telegraph the magic moment was intentionally omitted from the big screen because Armstrong’s achievement “transcended countries and borders.”..."

I think I'll pass on this revised history piece.

Link
Uh, no it didn't. It was America. If Canada was so awesome, they should have had their space program beat us to it. Oh, what's that? Their space program is little more than a weather balloon. Got it
Old 31 August 2018, 12:55
BTDT

Hey America...

YOU DIDN'T BUILD THAT
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 1 September 2018, 09:21
Life is simple, not easy.

To make a movie about Neil Armstrong and the moon landing is a slam dunk money maker. All you really have to do is not be crazy. Just don't social justice warrior this thing up and you're golden. But they couldn't just be normal, they had to be crazy. Now this ends up being a fake moon landing. I like Ryan Gosling but Gosling’s defense of not making the flag a key moment was hilarious and really came off as ignorant and out of touch with what planting the flag meant to Neil Armstrong. It’s a real, iconic, historical moment and I find it lame not to show it. Chuck Yaegar commented on what Gosling had to say:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2D8B7164-490E-465D-A791-77D25F7D7558.jpg (24.6 KB, 369 views)
Old 1 September 2018, 11:04

Quote:
More globalist brainwashing propaganda. You simply cannot escape this shit nowadays. Having pride in your nation/state/local area/family/etc means you are part of a insular group/community that has it's own values, customs, heritage, etc. Can't have that level of independence now can we? Oh you do? Ok --- go quietly die on your 40 acres of rural backcountry while we denigrate what you are and poison the minds of your kids so we can steal the future right under your dumb ignorant noses.
Old 1 September 2018, 12:21
BTDT

Someone or something ELSE landing and planting a flag on mother earth...
THAT would transcend countries and boarders.

Different countries literally "RACING" to the moon does NOT in any definition transcend countries and boarders

Gosling simply decided to demonstrate that he is no different than any other modern day court jester, eagerly entertaining the royalty
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 1 September 2018, 14:52
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdawg View Post
Uh, no it didn't. It was America. If Canada was so awesome, they should have had their space program beat us to it. Oh, what's that? Their space program is little more than a weather balloon. Got it
Think it is BS they cut the US flag. The America space program was an American run program funded by the US taxpayer.

Having said that; I guess you (not expecting you to) have never heard of the Avro Arrow, Avro aviation company and the result of that..

Long story short, Canada was the third largest aircraft and parts manufacture in the world in the 50's. Avro developed a fighter interceptor way ahead of it's time. As well as a commercial jet way ahead of it's time, lunar rover, and other spacey and way advance stuff.

US and Brits wouldn't buy it due to nationalism. Program was killed.. some say from pressure from US DoD, lot's of controversy. Killed thousands of jobs and the company had to shut down.

The resulting layoffs led to the majority of the engineers going from Canada to NASA and US aircraft manufactures.

36 of these engineers ended up being many of the lead managers in the space program, including Apollo program, lunar module, etc, etc.. Huge impact on the space program. The engineers who went to aircraft companies used the Avro program inspire the F-14, F-15 , and the F-111 I believe, those types of swept wings dart jets..

Just a little tidbit of history

Sltwtr1

OUT

Jack Bauer
Old 1 September 2018, 16:48
Confirmed User

“So I don’t think that Neil viewed himself as an American hero,” Gosling told the Telegraph. “From my interviews with his family and people that knew him, it was quite the opposite. And we wanted the film to reflect Neil.” Of course, just like other American Heroes don't think of themselves as American Heroes.

Just another example of Hollywood trying to stamp out anything that shows America in a good way.

^As for the above, of course the U.S. would have had a successful space and fighter jet progam without those Canadian engineers on board. Canada is a major ally, and pound for pound almost as good as the U.S., but I for one am not going to pretend like it is as good or better.
Old 1 September 2018, 19:16
Shakin' the bush Boss

If he did to today he'd have to plant a LGBTQ flag or he be a Nazi.
Old 1 September 2018, 19:44
Been There Done That

If it had happended under Pres. Obama or Pres. Hilary Clinton they would have e made sure it was an Ethnic minority Lesbian female astronaut who first set foot onthe moon.
Old 1 September 2018, 20:06
Problem Solver

This is fucked-up news because the trailers I've seen for the movie looked bad-ass...

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 1 September 2018, 21:21
Been There Done That

And Neil Armstrong is one of my heros. Plus did I mention he is a Purdue graduate? (Just had to throw that out there. )
Old 1 September 2018, 21:59
I've got a gun too, mf'er

This would annoy me just as much if it were a movie about Yuri Gagarian that omitted the hammer and sickle...no one expects Hollywood to get it right, but whitewashing history because you don't like how it turned out is a terrible idea.
- Bootsy Collins
"If you don't like freedom, for heaven's sake, pack your bags and leave"
- Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 1 September 2018, 23:39
Life is simple, not easy.

Alternate ending here: twitter.com/trollasaurusrx/status/1035629320524509184
Old 2 September 2018, 06:15
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
And Neil Armstrong is one of my heros. Plus did I mention he is a Purdue graduate? (Just had to throw that out there. )
Not mention taking time off during his sophomore year to fly missions in Korea. I think his first missions were flown while he still held the rank of Midshipman, he was promoted to Ensign on board his carrier at some point.
Old 2 September 2018, 09:40
Been There Done That

That is what many forget, that besides being first man on the moon - an astronaut- before that he was an accomplished test pilot and a decorated pilot during the Korean War.
Old 2 September 2018, 11:48
Policeman Officer

Somewhat related, Alan Shepherd's recent biography is an excellent read. He was a shitty person who had a huge drive and ambition.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 2 September 2018, 14:07
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Somewhat related, Alan Shepherd's recent biography is an excellent read. He was a shitty person who had a huge drive and ambition.
He made millions on side businesses, and in reading several other books about Apollo and the space business you learn that he spent a fair amount of his time while heading up the Astronaut office at NASA working on his private business dealings.

That said, it was also noted that his duties at NASA never suffered from his outside interests, although I doubt an astronaut could get away with such activities today. And he has been described as "mercurial", a polite way of saying he was a prick.
Old 2 September 2018, 16:53
Policeman Officer

He was competitive to the point of being a shitty teammate and was notorious for cheating on his wife constantly.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 3 September 2018, 00:20
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Along the same lines, I just read Moondust: In search of the men who fell to earth.

About the Apollo astronauts after they left NASA. About the only guy that wouldn't give the author an interview was Neil Armstrong. I've always been impressed that he had no desire to be in the spotlight.

Very interesting, great book. Mass, there is a section about Alan Shepard and it doesn't disagree with anything you said.

Last edited by hawkdrver; 3 September 2018 at 00:35.

Our new posting rules