SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 3 January 2019, 18:13
Confirmed User

American Made

I was surprised this movie wasn't already reviewed here.

A movie about Barry Seal, played by Tom Cruise, the infamous DEA/CIA/Drug smuggling pilot who greatly helped to expand the Escobar empire and was part of the uncovering of the Iran-Contra ordeal.

From what I know of this story - although the movie is supposedly "based on a true story" - huge creative license is taken in the telling of this story. It was entertaining, but too over the top for me to call it good.

I had forgotten about that airfield in Arkansas, and never realized this guy was part of that. It's making me go back and research all of these events again - i.e. - Iran/Contra, Arkansas and Clinton scandals, and the DEA/CIA dealings with cartels and revolutions in South America. The 80's really were interesting times...
Old 3 January 2019, 19:17

I thought it was a good entertaining movie, and I just so happened to drive through Mena, AR a few times over the last couple of months so it was interesting to see where it took place.
Old 3 January 2019, 20:00
Confirmed User

I'm also surprised it hasn't been reviewed here. I really enjoyed the movie too. Crazy story.

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 3 January 2019, 21:03
Life is simple, not easy.

It was a fun, action filled adventure movie that actually happened. LOL. Crazy stuff throughout the entire movie. Tom Cruise was great in this one.
Old 3 January 2019, 23:34
Administrator

There was more to it than what happened in the movie. This was the beginning of the Clinton crime family although it was barely mentioned. Remember in the movie the scene in the AGs office where he offered to buy every cop in the room a new Cadillac to let him walk out. He said that soon the phone would ring and he would walk out anyway so they may as well get the free car. The cops laughed. The phone rang, the AG had a very unpleasant conversation with Governor Bill Clinton, and then the AG walked back in and told Seal he was free to go. That was the only mention of the Clintons but they were neck deep in it.

There was a book about it called CIA: Cocaine In America that is the best I have read on the big picture of how that all went down. Quite a few of us on here were involved with training DEA and other personnel who were going into South America for Operation Snowcap. I don't claim to have a ton of knowledge about Mena, but I grew up not far away and knew people who were involved. What I read in the book aligns well with what I know for sure and what I was told by people who had knowledge of it.

https://www.amazon.com/C-I-Cocaine-A.../dp/1561713228
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 3 January 2019, 23:49
Administrator

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-12-..._1_white-house

Now go find out how many Arkansas State Troopers from Clinton's protection detail died in mysterious ways.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 4 January 2019, 00:50
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
There was more to it than what happened in the movie. This was the beginning of the Clinton crime family although it was barely mentioned. Remember in the movie the scene in the AGs office where he offered to buy every cop in the room a new Cadillac to let him walk out. He said that soon the phone would ring and he would walk out anyway so they may as well get the free car. The cops laughed. The phone rang, the AG had a very unpleasant conversation with Governor Bill Clinton, and then the AG walked back in and told Seal he was free to go. That was the only mention of the Clintons but they were neck deep in it.
Yep - I noticed that scene was the only mention of the Clintons in the film, and I knew there was much more to it than that.

Quote:
There was a book about it called CIA: Cocaine In America that is the best I have read on the big picture of how that all went down. Quite a few of us on here were involved with training DEA and other personnel who were going into South America for Operation Snowcap. I don't claim to have a ton of knowledge about Mena, but I grew up not far away and knew people who were involved. What I read in the book aligns well with what I know for sure and what I was told by people who had knowledge of it.

https://www.amazon.com/C-I-Cocaine-A.../dp/1561713228
Thanks for the suggestion - I will add this one to the reading list.
Old 6 January 2019, 23:14
Been There Done That

Go listen to the Podcast “Slow Burn”. All about The Clintons during the Lewinsky time period. Their Arkansas past is mentioned briefly.
Old 7 January 2019, 13:21
Confirmed User

I really enjoyed the movie. I thought it was well done.

A book written from the DEA perspective, Inside DEA Operation Snowcap by Bob Hatman is free with Kindle Unlimited.

LINK
Old 8 January 2019, 14:10
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Quite a few of us on here were involved with training DEA and other personnel who were going into South America for Operation Snowcap.
I am familiar with a former Air Force person who spent time in Columbia as part of an operation in which an anti-aircraft gun was used to selectively shoot down certain small transport planes while allowing others through. He wasn't told at the time why some were targets and some weren't, but started figuring it out later once the activity was long over.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician

Our new posting rules