SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > International Jobs

Old 28 September 2005, 08:59
Authorized Personnel

Jbad Road near Kabul....

This is an initial report Hopefully more to follow

Anyone near this road BE vigilant. Just got a report that a VBIED took out a van full of ANA.. 15 KIA.. Reports there is a Sucicide bomber and another VBIED in the area

Stay safe, Gods speed and good hunting
Old 28 September 2005, 22:50
Authorized Personnel

Follow up information

11 KIA, 25 WIA all ANA. There was an attack on ANA Soldiers by the German hospital on JBad road.. Reports are there was one man on a motocycle and rode in between two of the four vans and set off his bomb. Not clear if it was strapped to him or on the bike.
Old 28 September 2005, 23:14
Going back

10th,
Excluding known "bad" areas like Qalat or Deh Chopan/ Deh Rawod/ TK or the area around J-bad, the J-bad road in Kabul is "the" spot for IEDs.... that area is the hottest "civilized" or urban area over here. I guess other forms are making their presence known now like VBIEDs....

Stay safe, man.

- Blue Skies Big Windy 25

- Are you suffering from brain damage? I seriously want to know. If so, I will quit making fun of you. - Joe
Old 29 September 2005, 10:10
Probationary User

J-bad

And yet we will still sit intraffic and watch the motorbikes ride by us.... and the burka's walk inbetween vehicles... InSaf hotel, one burka gal and C4 last yr.... she was caught
Old 29 September 2005, 11:20
Going back

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrperfect25
And yet we will still sit intraffic and watch the motorbikes ride by us.... and the burka's walk inbetween vehicles...
I like the kid and his donkey cart that stopped my convoy while people came up and TOUCHED our vehicles... When a new unit came in that problem went away, but I'm surprised the old unit didn't take casualties due to their proximity to the local nationals.

- Are you suffering from brain damage? I seriously want to know. If so, I will quit making fun of you. - Joe
Old 29 September 2005, 12:51
Authorized Personnel

Doogie
Thanks for the heads up on the hotspots. me being new to the area still have a lot to learn about stuff like that. I know my local area and expanding outward. I am learning from the best.
Old 29 September 2005, 12:57
Going back

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10thvet
I am learning from the best.
Dear God, I hope I'm not on that list. :)

Just watch your ass. I've seen Civ and Mil guys here think that because it ends in "Stan" that they don't need their A game. Umm, dead in Kabul is the same as dead in Tikrit or Baghdad. Convoys with no radio freqs, arguing over which SOI is the right one, no IAD practice or emergency procedures like changing a tire out under fire or what to do if a vehicle breaks down, no security at choke points, just blow on through them and pray.....

Don't let your team do that. Deploy with your A game. I don't know where you are running, but don't assume that every area is quiet and IEDs or ambushes won't happen to you today.

Bring your A game.

Old 29 September 2005, 15:21
Probationary User

Afgan Travel

If you have been traveling in the northern mountains to Kunduz and the Saloan Path... they are know to stop you thru the only tunnel to get by... we would just blow by them... or Western Afghan... Herat... very Iran! I would recommend not to take a trip to the boarder for pictures... they didnt like that...lol... good luck... God Speed
Old 29 September 2005, 22:00
Authorized Personnel

When we roll, we dont stop for anything. We have special vehciles to make holes. and we always roll with our A game.

Doogie. No disrespect but I was talking about my shift and teams leads :)
Old 29 September 2005, 23:57
Going back

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10thvet
Doogie. No disrespect but I was talking about my shift and teams leads :)
Thank God... if you are relying on me as your sole source of info....

Take care,

Old 6 November 2005, 10:41

I work for Global doing the embassy (untill MVM taks the contract next month). Our compound is on J-Bad. Right down the road from wher the ANA guys got taken out. Traffic is getting outright worse, and our convoy getting stuck in traffic is common now. The routes to the embassy are pretty limited so we don't have a lot of choices.
Looking forward to being home Christmas.
Johnnie
Old 6 November 2005, 10:49
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Yeah, J-Bad road is certainly "crowded." Especially up where the pavement stops for one side of the road and everyone just crams into the remaining paved lanes.

The key here is to avoid the primary targets like the plague (just like in other sandbox AOs)....
Old 6 November 2005, 11:05

Yea, thats down the road from us toward the ANA range complex we do our DOS shoots at. Interesting place!
Johnnie
Old 9 November 2005, 00:52

was the blast near the kmtc or near to j-bad? there is quite a distance between the two.

the more things change..... it's good to know that the route is still a mess. i travelled the j-bad road many times in '02-'03. no matter what you do, there is no way to safely make passage through certain areas. the bad guys know this. the bad guys have known this since the middle ages. you just drive (or sit stuck in traffic) and prey you don't hear "boom".
Old 9 November 2005, 12:04

I understand that it was at a bus staging area not far from the UN compound on the other side of the road. Arab suicide bomber on a motor bike. Our compound is the other direction towards Kabul. I think it was just a bit north of the torn up section of the road. We usually don't travel that part of the road much unless we are going to the ANA range that way to launch bullets.
Odd how so much can be going around your immediate vicinity and you don't pay too much attention to the details unless it affects you or yours. I know that the ANA and Afghan police units passing through Massod Road between the embassy sections were pretty antsy for a few days.
You are right about the degree of helplessness on J-bad sometimes. As a shift leader, I take the advance vehicle ahead of the convoy. The traffic at the intersection with the gas station just before Freedom Circle is getting downright stupid. We were stuck the other day, stoped, surrounded by Haji taxis. I'm sitting there, AK in one hand, radio in the other, thinking, 'Its called "Kill Zone" for a reason" I looked at my driver(Brit) and we both started laughing. Sometimes thats all you can do. I just keep remembering that they are not paying me $475.00 a day to swat flys and bitch about the food.
HOME FOR CHRISTMAS!( And MVM can have this contract!)
Cheers,
Johnnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by an army of one...less
was the blast near the kmtc or near to j-bad? there is quite a distance between the two.

the more things change..... it's good to know that the route is still a mess. i travelled the j-bad road many times in '02-'03. no matter what you do, there is no way to safely make passage through certain areas. the bad guys know this. the bad guys have known this since the middle ages. you just drive (or sit stuck in traffic) and prey you don't hear "boom".

Last edited by jlm99; 9 November 2005 at 12:21.
Old 14 November 2005, 08:32
Authorized Personnel

There was another explosion today on Jbad road.. Not sure where but it was within the "kabul city Limits"
Not sure of any casualties, damge or if anyone was hit...I will update as soon as I get updated..

Stay Safe, Gods speed and good hunting
Old 14 November 2005, 09:02
Authorized Personnel

Here is a news report I found on the explosion

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4435156.stm

as you can read they claim two suicide bombs went off...it's been heating up in Kandahar for the last 3 weeks, Looks like it made it up here again...

Rest in peace to the fallen warrior...

I can not confirm this article yet...

Last edited by 10thvet; 14 November 2005 at 09:06.

Our new posting rules