SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Book Reviews

Old 6 August 2018, 15:10
All Star Benchwarmer

Alright, started book number 9 for the summer last night. "Apollo 8" by Jefferey Kluger. The title is self explanatory.

The author is the same person who co-wrote Apollo 13 with Jim Lovell. He's got several other books on the space program that I might take a look at when I'm finished with this one.
Old 7 August 2018, 01:05
Psalm 91:2

“Shanghai Mission” book 5 or 6 in the Grant Stevens series.

Found this by accident and what intrigued me was the timeline of being set just post Vietnam and during the height of the Cold War.

Plus it reminded me of Cass and some of the things he told me so I just had to download the whole series. While reading I often find myself picturing a younger Cass sneaking people from East Berlin into West Berlin etc.

Author is Jamie Fredric. No bio or info on the author.

Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed. Bob Riley
Old 11 August 2018, 21:49
All Star Benchwarmer

Book 10 for the summer: Game of Shadows by Mark Fainuru-wada and Lance Williams.

Being a baseball nut, I had to read this. It's been on my shelf for a very long time and I'm finally sitting down to it. If you aren't aware, it covers the BALCO controversy with Bonds and how all that played out.
Old 12 August 2018, 05:35
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX teacher View Post
Book 10 for the summer: Game of Shadows by Mark Fainuru-wada and Lance Williams.

Being a baseball nut, I had to read this. It's been on my shelf for a very long time and I'm finally sitting down to it. If you aren't aware, it covers the BALCO controversy with Bonds and how all that played out.
I don't know if you've listened to it yet, but as someone who doesn't care whatsoever about Baseball (and still found the story fascinating) I would highly recommend David Ortiz: The Big Papi Story.

Great podcast story.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 12 August 2018, 05:48
Been There Done That

Just finished reading/listening to:

"I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer" by Michelle McNamara.

Really enjoyed it and finished it in three commutes. This book was written before the author's death in 2016, so two years prior to JJD being identified on 23andme.com

The conclusions that were drawn therefore don't necessarily prove out, or haven't shown to connect to the case, but I can't think of any published work in which more detail was given about the crimes, nor one that was more logically written.

Another book, which I actually had in my cloud for a while but didn't get to, until it became a relevant topic was Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future by Ashlee Vance.

Usually I grind through biographies, especially about business executives, but this one was different. The author did serious research and kept her biases out of the book. What I came away with was strangely compelling and more significantly actionable.

If you're interested in reading about one of the most innovative minds out there, and want a fresh perspective on why the businesses are run the way they are...this is the book for you.

I thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend it.

Currently, I'm reading/listening to the following books:

The Case for Christ: A Journalist's Personal Investigation of the Evidence for Jesus by Lee Strobel

and

Darkest Hour: How Churchill Brought England Back from the Brink by Anthony McCarten

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 17 August 2018, 23:41
Confirmed User

Brothers in Berets: The Evolution of Air Force Special Tactics 1953-2003
https://www.airuniversity.af.mil/Por..._IN_BERETS.PDF

Who was Carney's deputy? Kaas/Daas?
Old 20 August 2018, 23:40
Confirmed User

Finishing up The Collapse of the Third Republic. An Inquiry into the Fall of France in 1940. I am surprised how often the French made decisions that worked directly against their national interests. Politicians, the military, even the citizens, All failed to prepare for an obvious, oncoming disaster.
Old 28 August 2018, 06:57
Bitter old man.

Chicken Dinner by Timothy W Long.

A Dystopian novel about 50 people dropped on an Island with the last man standing winning $25 Million. Based on the the Battle Royale fad in video games. And of course one has to scounge gear and weapons and it is live streamed.
Old 28 August 2018, 16:04
All Star Benchwarmer

"...and a Hard Rain Fell" by John Ketwig. It's a very, very interesting read on Vietnam and the author's perspective on what he experienced. It's emotional, full of hate for the situation, and unlike any other Vietnam autobiography I've gotten my hands on before.
Old 6 September 2018, 18:06
All Star Benchwarmer

I finished my last book and now I'm on to "The Deserters" by Charles Glass. This is the story of WWII deserters in the ETO and Africa. Part of it looks at the emotional impact of the way, and ultimately why some deserted. Beyond that, I'm not too far in so I can't say much else.
Old 8 September 2018, 18:36
Confirmed User

Picked up the 'Ghost Rider' by Neil Peart about his journey after the deaths of his daughter and wife. So far a very good book as he describes the different towns and people he encounters on his solo motorcycle ride and also the catharsis he is trying to go through dealing with the horrific loss.
Old 12 September 2018, 15:14
Confirmed User

So I finished Ghost Rider and it was a pretty good read. Best thing I liked were his descriptions of where he was traveling and authors that had written something pertaining to the locale, i.e. while in Alaska he spoke of Jack London. I found myself using Google Maps to track where he was at on the road. Some parts in the book were a little monotonous and the ending was kind of rushed but overall a pretty decent read.

ETA - got it on Amazon for my Kindle for $4.
Old 12 September 2018, 18:26
Been There Done That

"Rise and Kill First" by Ronen Bergman

It's a history of Israel's targeted assassinations; as well as the development of their intelligence organizations.

I'm halfway through it. So far, a very interesting read.
Old 22 September 2018, 08:54
I reckon so. . .

The Deep State, by Jason Chaffetz.

From his "surprise" trip to Benghazi, to Federal Employee Unions he covers a bunch of territory.

Recommended.
Old 24 September 2018, 18:54
Migratory Coconut

Getting into some horror fiction with the approach of October. Just finished "Black House" by King and Straub, now starting "The Stand". I've never read it and it seems a shame to leave King's world unexplored.

"I may go to hell for it, but recess will be legendary!"- Longrifle
Old 24 September 2018, 19:36
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtk317 View Post
Getting into some horror fiction with the approach of October. Just finished "Black House" by King and Straub, now starting "The Stand". I've never read it and it seems a shame to leave King's world unexplored.
I've read a lot of Stephen King, but I wasn't able to finish that one. I made it about 900 pages and found myself not caring how it was going to end.
Old 25 September 2018, 10:45
All Star Benchwarmer

"How Everything Became War and the Military Became Everything: Tales from the Pentagon" by Rosa Brooks.

The author was part of the Obama administration and was somewhere within the DoD structure. She's was raised by Vietnam protesters, but she admits to her eyes being opened once working with the military and actually observing what goes on beyond just killing bad guys.

She writes about a lot of the MOOTW and how some of that has been pushed onto the military and how some of it the military has just assumed. The only real bones I have to pick with her "intellectual" and choppy writing style. She' a lawyer by training, so do with that info as you wish. She also seems to think pretty highly of her position when in the administration. However, so far, it's an interesting take on the modern military and the different roles it plays.
Old 25 September 2018, 21:17
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
My Son in Law recommended the Presidential Agent Series, W.E.B Griffin Book One "By Order of the President"

Typical of his books, but it seems his previous ones I read were more accurate. No one calls themselves a "Green Beanie" unless your gay or like gavin.
So I finished the 8 book series. It was pretty good. Of all of the One Word endings, the last book was a bit anti-climactic.

I am back to my Angry American Series and on to the next Survivalist book in the series (#11, I think).
Old 4 October 2018, 06:32
All Star Benchwarmer

At the suggestion of someone on the board here, I'm now reading "Matterhorn" by Karl Marlantes. It is an absolutely fascinating novel and to this point very well written. While I wasn't a Marine, just an AF cop, it seems to reflect perfectly the relationships you see throughout the military.
Old 22 October 2018, 15:37
All Star Benchwarmer

New book this weekend is "Fast Movers" by John Darrell Sherwood. It covers several significant pilots and their accomplishments in the Vietnam War. So far I'm in chapter 1 about Robin Olds and we know he was certainly an interesting character.

Our new posting rules