SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 9 September 2008, 10:28
Authorized Personnel

it's a PITA to get the hang of...here's what the others had to say:

Guns, Chubs & Out of Control (start at post #94)

Last edited by Gryfen-FL; 9 September 2008 at 10:31. Reason: snafu'd the link.
Old 9 September 2008, 10:43
Looking for work...

sounds good.......today is rest day but I will work it the next couple of days.

Thanks for all the help.

I would like to get into a Level I cert next year. I have talked to guys about the cert and they say that you may think you know a little about CF when you go but you quickly find out that you don't no s#$t.
Old 9 September 2008, 11:12
Authorized Personnel

Cert is worth the $$ as a social event alone.

But you'll need to bring a good pen and notebook, or your head will explode.

They have been offering a good discount to military/LEO type folks.
Old 9 September 2008, 17:50
Nerd

Thanks Chubs...

Excellent food for thought. I'm definitely padding with my box jumps; I just don't seem to have enough gas to power through the other ones to reach my target goals for each exercise, even when I do pace myself.

I guess I just need to work on my conditioning so I can keep up the pace throughout.

I hear ya on rotating 10-15 sec before the minute is up; I do the same thing so that I'm not fumbling and stumbling into the next exercise like a sloppy drunk.:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubs View Post
The absolute biggest secret to scoring big on FGB is pacing. I've seen way too many people come out strong and gas out. Before you run it, think about what you want to score overall. From there you need to figure out what it'll take over all the separate stations to hit that score. The last step is to take what you're good at and use those to pad your score.
The key to pacing is to be very strict with it. I literally walk away from most stations with 15 seconds remaining. It allows me to breathe and get into the next station more fresh. People lose a lot of ground if you're rushing to finish and then rushing to the next station. Once you hit your target numbers, STOP. The time to turn it up is on the last round. That is where you eek out those remaining reps for a bigger score. Once you learn to pace, it's not that hard to up your score. For me to break 350, I've only got to add ~2 reps per station. By pacing I give myself all that extra time at the end to pull out those reps.

Now I should note that this might not be in the spirit of FGB, but it is how I run things.
Old 9 September 2008, 19:48
Confirmed User

W/U:
800m Run
100 Jump Rope
30 Squats

W/O:
3 Rounds:
1 Minute Max Effort:

Tire Flips: 6/6/6
Rope Climb: 4/4/3
O' Snaps: 8/10/8
Burpee: 11/11/9
Slush Pipe OHS: 16/18/17
Old 9 September 2008, 22:04
hippies beware

Chris--

Those OHS's--was that with the standard slosh pipe or the beast? Ryan is a SADIST, isnt he?! :)

"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain

"All that we see is perspective, not fact...All that we hear is opinion, not truth."
--Marcus Aurelius

"The time you spent typing and formatting this post would have been better spent hitting yourself in the face with a hammer."
--Jimbo

Wise old man--"That woman was SEXY!"
Young lad--"She's out of my league."
Wise old man--"Look...let women figure out why they wont sleep with you...dont do it for them."
Old 9 September 2008, 22:27
Confirmed User

It was with the small one actually. It's the only one you can hold onto when your hands are sweating. And the workout was a Dice workout. He's been running a lot of the workouts lately. The SP OHS were something Dice and I came up with one night after the WOD. We pulled out the pipe and started fucking around with it and realized we could do OHS.
Old 9 September 2008, 22:57
hippies beware

SWEET!...Im going to try to make it out tomorrow.

OOC, out

"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain

"All that we see is perspective, not fact...All that we hear is opinion, not truth."
--Marcus Aurelius

"The time you spent typing and formatting this post would have been better spent hitting yourself in the face with a hammer."
--Jimbo

Wise old man--"That woman was SEXY!"
Young lad--"She's out of my league."
Wise old man--"Look...let women figure out why they wont sleep with you...dont do it for them."
Old 10 September 2008, 19:32
Confirmed User

W/U:
800m Run
100 Jump Rope
30 Squats

W/O:
30 Rounds

Burpee Muscle-Up X 1
Handstand Push-Up X 1

Time: 39:23

I had a huge problem with the muscle-ups. I've never really done them before. I rolled through the first 6 sets just fine and ran into some problems as I fatigued due to shitty form. Once I corrected my form I finished out just fine. I think I could easily shave 10 minutes off of this time next time a workout like this is done.
Old 12 September 2008, 12:54
Nerd

Did Fight Gone Bad today.

After following some of the advice on this board, I now have a new PR of 272. Yeah! (My old PR was 247 so I'm a very happy camper today)

Attacking each exercise at the start with a firm # in my head was key. Forcing myself to stop when I reached it was hard, but definitely paid off by round 3.
Old 16 September 2008, 13:26
These ain't my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergogirl View Post
Did Fight Gone Bad today.

After following some of the advice on this board, I now have a new PR of 272. Yeah! (My old PR was 247 so I'm a very happy camper today)

Attacking each exercise at the start with a firm # in my head was key. Forcing myself to stop when I reached it was hard, but definitely paid off by round 3.

Haha, hot damn! Very nice job. I agree that forcing yourself to stop sucks, but it helps.

On another note, does anybody have any pictures of them in action. I've got one while I'm climbing rope:

http://www.new.facebook.com/photo.ph...f3&id=40508814

“It is who we are; It is what we do; And we're okay with that.”- LE Funeral Closing Remark
Old 16 September 2008, 13:34
These ain't my pants.

Workout: Pseudo Conditioning

Weight: ~175lbs

OHS-

45lbs x 8
65lbs x 8
95lbs x 5
115lbs x 4
135lbs x miss
135lbs x miss
135lbs x 2 (+20lbs PR)

3 Rounds for time:

20 Half Moons (20lbs ball)
20 pushups

Time- 2:35

Some abs
Some stretching

Comments:

The half moons require a lot of twisting and I could feel my lower back start pulling a good bit. I'm starting to think that my lack of overall flexibility is causing most of my troubles. I'm going to start stretching quite a bit. I'm not sure if I'll squat heavy tomorrow or not. Depends on how my lowerback feels in the morning. I hate OHS. We've got some girls in the gym doing over 200lbs and I'm struggling with 135. The form is so much different than my competition squat that I have a hard time going back and forth. My right arm, from the elbow down, was numb. I think I've got some kind of impingement going on. I was having a hard time shrugging my shoulders and keeping a grip on the bar. It's not nearly as bad right now, but still tingling slightly. I'll have to add in a good bit more upperback work.

“It is who we are; It is what we do; And we're okay with that.”- LE Funeral Closing Remark
Old 16 September 2008, 14:57
Confirmed User

3 Rounds:
1 Min. Max Effort:

Tire Flips: 7/7/7
Cargo Net Climb: 5/6/6
Tire Drag: 4/4/4
Air Balls: 16/18/18
Slush Pipe Hold: Completed All Rounds
Ring Push-Ups: 16/18/21
Old 16 September 2008, 20:05
Confirmed User

5 Rounds:

OHS (95#) X 10
Pull-Up X 10
Deadlift (1.5X BW) X 5
Burpee X 10

Time: 18:06
Old 17 September 2008, 22:26
Rocket Surgeon

I did Fran today. For maybe the first time ever, I did Fran, and Fran didn't do me. The pimp hand was strong today, and I PR'd at 5:18, which is my best by over a minute, almost 2. I'm not sure what happened, I just had a really, really good day.

I was laying on the gym floor under the pullup bar, legs up, eyes closed, trying to get my heart-rate down, and gasping for dear life. Some dude came up, tapped me and asked me if I was ok, and if I was dizzy, having chest pain or difficulty breathing. I would have laughed if it didn't seem dangerously close to puking. Crossfit: simulates heart attacks.

Last edited by Believeraz; 17 September 2008 at 22:29. Reason: grammar
Old 18 September 2008, 20:17
Confirmed User

6 Rounds:

250m Row
Tire Jumps X 6 (3 Tractor Tires)
135# Squat Clean X 6
Muscle-Up X 6

Time: 31:57
Old 20 September 2008, 15:12
Confirmed User

20 Minute Max Effort

Back Squat (135#)
Ring Dips
Knees-To-Elbows (No Kipping)
Handstand Push-Ups

Start with 1 rep of each then go up by one for 20 minutes.

I made it to 11 of the first three and time expired as I went to start the HS Push-Ups.
Old 21 September 2008, 23:09
Confirmed User

filthy fifty PR. 33 min., kicked my arse good.
Old 22 September 2008, 20:27
Life Aquatic

finally getting back into the WODs, did today's main board one:

W/U
Pull-ups
KTEs
Good Mornings
Dips
Samson
3 x 10

WOD "Isabel" 135# snatch x 30
Warmed up with 45 pounds and discovered I have no business trying the snatch at a heavy weight.
Did 65# x 30 in about 6 minutes in fives mostly trying to work on my form. Definitely need an Olympic lifting class.

Finished up with:
95 pound Overhead Squats for 5 x 5
95 pound push press 2 x 15
Walking Lunges (30# Dumbells) x 20 steps/leg
Old 23 September 2008, 21:59
Life Aquatic

W/U
Overhead squats(45#): 10
Pull-ups: 10
KTEs: 10
Dips: 10
Good Mornings(45#): 10
Samson

WOD- virtual shoveling/push-ups 30-25-20...5

Started it off and got stopped by the trainer after 3 reps so started over with russian twists with a barbell + 45#.

All sets unbroken- 9:45

Box Jump/sit-ups- 20/20, 15/20, 10/20, 5/20 - 3:34

Never did the twists before, those kicked my ass. I am sure the "shoveling" was just as hard, if not more but I have to find a real gym to do that stuff in.

Our new posting rules