SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 2 December 2019, 12:12
Living The Grunt Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Yeah we had rear antennas, and I could get you coming up behind me while I was stationary, but not when I was moving in the same direction. I think mine was a "Hawk"? Been too long.
Yep. I would be traveling at 0200 in the morning on a deserted road and see lights in my rearview mirror coming up to me faster than they should. I would be doing 55 and they were trying to run over me at 95 until they saw those reflective letters on my trunk lid. Then the "whine" on my radar "screeched' like a barn owl getting plucked alive.
Old 2 December 2019, 15:12
exquisitus asinus

we had forward and rearward looking radar units as well as handheld lidar in most patrol cars when I was still working in law enforcement.. and that was almost 20 years ago..

no telling what technology cars have in them in major metro areas these days.. but I wouldnt think it would be a problem to track speed in either direction while mobile or stationary..
Old 2 December 2019, 18:32
Legal Immigrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post
we had forward and rearward looking radar units as well as handheld lidar in most patrol cars when I was still working in law enforcement.. and that was almost 20 years ago..

no telling what technology cars have in them in major metro areas these days.. but I wouldnt think it would be a problem to track speed in either direction while mobile or stationary..
Same...definitely had this tech 20 yrs ago, and it wasn't even considered "advanced" back then.
Old 2 December 2019, 19:14
Voodoo guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve788 View Post
Your damn fine post...
Definitely getting a pro to argue it. I think I'm a fairly smart guy, but under no circumstance any notion that I'd be able to handle a court proceeding.

Again, as to his attitude, I'm not going to press the attorney to make it an issue unless he thinks it's warranted. A few other officers felt it could be a teachable moment for the guy, but that's not for me to decide. I've been chewed out by far better. Ya know, I think what irks me the most is that I've known quite a few GA Troopers personally, and they've seemingly set a high bar for professionalism. Finally, and since I quite a few friends and family are LEO's, being a bully'ish type of cop isn't good for the entire profession.

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 2 December 2019, 19:20

Yes, front/rear, mobile/stationary, same direction/opposite direction, all
standard fare in LE doppler radar systems.
Old 2 December 2019, 19:35

Some More Generic LE Doppler Radar Info

Edit to above (since there's no available option to edit post, itself): Probably
standard nowadays, is additional ability to set unit to display "highest
speed"; normal display will be strongest return signal. If a fast moving/
low reflection vehicle was closer than a slower/high reflection vehicle, like
a semi or box truck, the display would show speed of the slower, more
distant vehicle, instead of the faster & closer vehicle.

This ties in to the concept that the radar is only there to confirm/verify
the officer's visual estimate of speed. As he notices the Corvette appears
to be XX mph in a YY posted speed zone, he notes the display shows
an inappropriately slow speed (that he attributes to the slower semi), and
switches unit to "fastest"--and the Vette's speed is then displayed. It all happens faster than it takes to read this.

BTW, having a radar detector will reduce your chances of talking a ticket
away, or getting leniency on the cite (e.g. cop writes you for 60 in a 50,
instead of the 68 mph he had on radar), AND will generally only alert
you to the lazy guys who sit with radar continuously transmitting. Your
chances of getting a worthwhile alert, when cop uses radar in standby/
instant-on mode (he sees you, estimates, turns radar on/gets return, done) is much
lower--especially if he's turning it on for *your* vehicle.
Old 2 December 2019, 19:37
Authorized Personnel

It sounds like you know a local deputy, local ADA, and local trooper. Have you asked them to talk to the trooper who gave you the ticket and find out what he says? He may be a dick, and he may have been having a bad day, neither of them an excuse to treat you that way. But if you ask, you might find out his motivation.
Old 2 December 2019, 19:44
Shakin' the bush Boss

You're taking this whole thing awfully personal. We've all run across a prick cop (at least those of us who have had more than a few "interactions" with the po po). I'd advise you to go in there, be nice, smile nice at the judge and hope they drop it to like 19 over and pay the ticket.
Old 2 December 2019, 19:47
Living The Grunt Life

Have you considered meeting with the ADA that handles traffic? With your non-existent record, many times they are prone to helping you out. I know that some do and some simply won't budge, but it's worth a shot before spending a lot of money on an attorney to get you out of a traffic ticket. Many of them (Prosecutors) can understand the "insurance" issue and help you out since you are a repeat offender.
Old 3 December 2019, 10:06
Voodoo guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
You're taking this whole thing awfully personal. We've all run across a prick cop (at least those of us who have had more than a few "interactions" with the po po). I'd advise you to go in there, be nice, smile nice at the judge and hope they drop it to like 19 over and pay the ticket.
You're right, I did. So would you, at first at least. Wrong fucking guy for real, tried to be polite, he only got worse as he failed at verbal judo. So yeah, I give a shit about my spotless driving record, don't want to pay a fine that I didn't do fuck all to earn, and watch my insurance go through the roof.

I've thought better of it at this point. However, I know that I sound like I'm simply pissed that I got a speeding ticket, by an asshole, in this case, this guy truly got the wrong guy. Any rational person who truly got got as the wrong guy would be pissed.

That said, I've been advised well and am taking that guidance to the letter. I have a local attorney who said that if I have to actually pay this one, I don't owe him a cent.

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 3 December 2019, 10:55
Been There Done That

Always keep your documents in order man. It helps to deescalate the situation. It may have gone differently if they were.

My m.o. on a traffic stop at night is flashers on, windows down, dome light on, hands on the steering wheel, and a respectful greeting. Then I ask for permission to take out my wallet and open the glove compartment. My goal is to make the officer as comfortable as possible.

When overtaking a vehicle at night slow down and approach it cautiously until you can verify what kind of vehicle it is. If you cannot determine if it is an officer, hang back.

I had a buddy that passed a trooper that was doing 10 miles an hour bellow the speed limit. He got pulled over and the officer stated "I heard the cattle around here, not you!"

Better to play it safe, a few miles per hour isn't going to gain you much in time over a short run.
Old 3 December 2019, 15:27
Confronting the Reckoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokeu2 View Post
I have a local attorney who said that if I have to actually pay this one, I don't owe him a cent.
Nice.

Our new posting rules