SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge > Travel

Old 20 April 2020, 08:09
Involuntary Yoga Guy

I gook the Acela from Grand Central to DC once, in one of the nice cars. What a way to travel. It’s amazing if you have the time, and the extra $$ is used on comfort.

Can’t fathom how they can operate as a business now and be remotely profitable. Perhaps, if we start pulling our businesses back from China, we could start firing up old industries that would make rail lines viable again?

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 20 April 2020, 08:45
Problem Solver

Traveled coast-to-coast from NYC to LA back in the early '90s on Amtrak; went over the Rockies and through the desert. One of the best trips I've ever taken, anywhere in the world...

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 21 April 2020, 10:29
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlwithaGlock View Post
I suppose this could go into the Movies/TV thread... but on the other hand, this is a good resource for future train travel planning (my favorite!), whenever the Iron Covida-Curtain lifts...

13 Virtual Train Rides from Around the World

The 12 miles of the Flåm Railway in Norway were surprisingly soothing to watch with my morning coffee!
HH6 and I took the Flam Railway back in '17. We took the regular train from Bergan to the Flam Railway. It was a pretty good ride. Lot of cool stuff to see before you got to the Fiords.
Old 21 April 2020, 16:18
BTDT

We have taken a couple luxury train tours, one with the Single Malt Whisky Society through Scotland, great trip.

One on a luxury train trip through northern India, which sucked because at every stop they wanted us to get off the train and go shopping.
Old 21 April 2020, 18:50
Russian Tycoon

I have taken a few nice train rides, but the one to remember was between Saint Petersburg and Almaty back in early 90s. Aeroflot was running short on fuel and canceled a bunch of flights, including the ones to Bishkek, the final destination.

So... almost four days on the top shelf sharing the compartment with three other passengers... in the middle of summer... while going through the steppes and semi-desert... in a winter train with no A/C or opening windows... and one bathroom per car.

It was one grand adventure but admittedly I’ve never smelled worse in my life!
Old 21 April 2020, 19:07
Authorized Personnel

After DS/DS, we took the Alaska Rail from Anchorage to Denali round trip. Beautiful countryside and good service.

The train station in Anchorage is an old WPA-built building; very cool and historic.

Our new posting rules