SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 16 January 2020, 17:45
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV View Post
But, Apple did help the FBI. They pried right into what they could, and gave the bureau everything they had access to. They can't, however, recover the private key that is generated without redesigning the phone, or pushing a new update that would force every iPhone user to create a new key--one that could be shared with third parties.
Dude, this is just Clipper and Skipjack, 25 years later. F Them.

WHO lauds lockdown-ignoring Sweden as a ‘model’ for countries going forward.

By Jackie Salo, NY Post

April 29, 2020 | 3:24pm

Next...

Old 16 January 2020, 17:48
Authorized Personnel

Yep. Most people may not even be aware of it. Here is a good quick read about the program. There's really no circumstance anyone has been able to divine whereby any of what the government is asking for is okay.
Old 16 January 2020, 17:49
Renuo Victima Esse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Come on Bro, you know that when gloves were invented, all cops were made helpless.
You know...the truth is that LE is trying to stay up with technology and can't. Due to that fact, they will always try a way to backdoor something until their technology is able to catch up. Then, they find they are already behind again. Because of that, many of them have become lazy and simply don't want to take the extra steps that may be needed to work a case without "that" phone. Well, I found "other" ways to do it that were completely legal. It's amazing that ways still exist without having to do things that put my "privacy" in harms way. Just because it's the "old" way doesn't mean it's broke and doesn't still work today.
Old 16 January 2020, 18:19
Confirmed User

Quote:
Come on Bro, you know that when gloves were invented, all cops were made helpless.
You would think someone would buy a $5 box of gloves before doing a house break but they don't. Something that still amazes me.
Old 16 January 2020, 22:02
Been There Done That

Quote:
I hear what your saying my friend, I really just use your stuff to add to, not challenge. "Terrorism" as something to worry about, is BS, but plays well to the uneducated masses that are "Most Americans".
Brother,
If I have failed to be clear - this sh!t is what I am worried about. I don't like any of it, but I use apple products. Our Deep State is out to eff us all. And they are going to justify it based on San Diego and Pensacola.
Drive on, my friend. My sorry old arse needs y'all to protect our nation and me. As was mentioned earlier, the FBI is the problem.
v/r
fkl
Old 17 January 2020, 02:49
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
Do you think if China's Ministry of State Security captured some radical Uighur's following an attack that Apple would help them crack their iPhone's? I do.
Agreed.

The only thing that would make me feel otherwise with surety is Apple abandoning China.

Colonel Flagg, psychopathic guest star of M.A.S.H.
Old 17 January 2020, 02:58
Confirmed User

Quote:
I can't speak to political motivations. I can only speak to the technology. The rest of your post wanders a lot, so I'll just say that Apple doesn't have access to the encryption key. It is generated and maintained on the phone itself, inside of the Secure Enclave. The government is trying to coerce Apple to stop this practice so that the government can get into a person's phone. That's fucked up and worthy of rioting over. It's demonstrable that the government, as well as private entities (Apple included), can't be trusted to not violate someone's privacy. It's the entire reason Apple developed it this way to begin with. They should be applauded.
My feelings mirror an earlier post about the exceptionally low risk of being a victim of terrorism.

To me, there’s an acceptable level of lives lost and criminal proceeds of crime gained to ensure individual freedoms.

Along the lines of 2A.

Perhaps legal innovations around gun controls will be mirrored by legal innovations around protecting privacy and disrupting illicit surveillance?

Old 22 January 2020, 05:56
Confirmed User

This is interesting......

Story developing on Jeff Bezos getting his phone cracked by Saudi MBS sending Jeff a WhatsApp message with embedded malware:

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...i-crown-prince

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=22111560

IF true, then perhaps it was MBS that burned Jeff on his side-piece when still married due to Jeff’s billionaire hobby newspaper WaPost employing Khashoggi before MBS had his thugs pour him down the drain.

Really, really bad drills by Jeff.

And really, really brazen behaviour by MBS.

Can’t blame that on “rogue behaviour”, well, MBS anyway.

Old 22 January 2020, 15:45
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg View Post
This is interesting......

Story developing on Jeff Bezos getting his phone cracked by Saudi MBS sending Jeff a WhatsApp message with embedded malware:
I was in an investigative group (not quite a task force) before I retired. They used Whats App to communicate. I never understood it given these guys mission.

I took that app off my phone the day I retired (along with all Google apps as well).
Old 22 January 2020, 16:21
Authorized Personnel

If you (your device) is not generating and exchanging keys itself, it's best to assume it's insecure.
Old 19 May 2020, 15:55
Authorized Personnel

Whiny bitches, both AG Barr and Director Wray.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/18/2...tion-pensacola
Old 19 May 2020, 18:59
BTDT

Quote:
Whiny bitches, both AG Barr and Director Wray.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/18/2...tion-pensacola
Fuck'em both. I totally believe everything they said in that article too... Al-Qaeda... hahahahaha!

Also, if I *did* have the capability to get in them, I'd want all the boogeymen to use and trust Apple, so "shhhhhhhhhhh". But those guys never lie, so...

Edit: On the flip-side, if you can't get into them, you'd probably want to say you can, LOL!

WHO lauds lockdown-ignoring Sweden as a ‘model’ for countries going forward.

By Jackie Salo, NY Post

April 29, 2020 | 3:24pm

Next...

Last edited by Polypro; 20 May 2020 at 07:43.
Old 20 May 2020, 07:38
Authorized Personnel

I don't understand the thought process behind "the government should drive and control encryption".

By that logic, the government should have keys to everyone's homes just in case they need to enter.
Old 23 May 2020, 22:02
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
I don't understand the thought process behind "the government should drive and control encryption".

By that logic, the government should have keys to everyone's homes just in case they need to enter.
You’d think our founding fathers would have come up with some kind of amendment thing to prevent it from happening.

Our new posting rules