SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > ARSOF Recruitment and Prep

Old 17 June 2019, 10:55
Been There Done That

Old days.....

Going through my stuff this weekend, organizing old paper work, and came across this.

In the early 1990s, before the internet and YouTube, this is what the recruiter gave you when you re-enlisted under the 18X program. In those days you had to be prior service to sign up for the 18X program.

This brochure gave some history about SF, SF missions. And told one how to prepare for SFAS. Section as well about airborne school. And a final section on the Q Course.

I remember the table showing the study of 4 mile ruck times correlating to SFAS pass rates. Timed myself under 45 minutes, with 60 pound ruck so knew was good to go. To be honest, after previously having attended Ranger school, did not think SFAS was that bad, though still challenging.

Looking through the brochure now, many years after having done, some good practical advise about getting ready, taking care of feet, etc.
Old 17 June 2019, 14:08
Been There Done That

I remember getting something like that in '88. I remember using the PT plan. When our Bradley's were in the maintenance shed, I'd grab a tanker bar and go ruck on the tank trails. Dudes in the maintenance shed thought I was a dumb ass PFC. Oh well, it paid off. Carrying rucks was not a typical thing for mech. Inf, at least not in that unit. That's cool you kept that handout. I didn't keep things like that unfortunately.

A problem shared is a problem ridiculed
Old 17 June 2019, 17:11
Been There Done That

Enlisted under the 18X program in April ‘91, ten days prior to shipping out from MEPS, then did SFAS in May ‘91.

There were about 40 of us 18Xs. We did a 2 week pre SFAS at the old Recondo camp, run by a team from Utah’s 19th Group. I think out of that group of 40, around 6-7 of us made it all the way through the Q Course.

I think the recruiters at Meps were really pushing the 18X program on prior service, and many did not really know what they were getting into or just liked the idea of being a Green Beret but not rucking for countless hours.

Finished SFAS then was sent to 18th Airborne Corps PLDC, then spent two months with the commo shop/radio detail at Camp Rowe until the 18C course started. Good times.
Old 17 June 2019, 19:09
Been There Done That

My ASSHOLE recruiter said there were no Ranger slots and tried to talk me into Germany. I got FTCKY which wasn't bad. But...theres NO such thing as LIGHT Infantry. Another lie from that fucking ASSHOLE.

Karl Childers
Old 17 June 2019, 20:22
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
My ASSHOLE recruiter said there were no Ranger slots and tried to talk me into Germany. I got FTCKY which wasn't bad. But...theres NO such thing as LIGHT Infantry. Another lie from that fucking ASSHOLE.
Since when was anything in the infantry light?

Our new posting rules