SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Medical

Old 25 June 2019, 23:00
BT,WBTWC

Floating Rib Fracture

That sums it up. A "nondisplaced" but complete fracture right in the midpoint of my left lower floating rib.
Hurts like hell. Doctor says I can't really do much but treat it gently for the next four to six weeks while it knits itself back together.
Anybody have suggestions? Bind it up?
Nothing funny. A laugh or a cough puts me on the floor wimpering like a baby.
Aspirin seems to work better than oxy.
Old 25 June 2019, 23:10
I reckon so. . .

Crap! Sorry to hear CB.

#1Riserslip . . .
Old 25 June 2019, 23:48
Confirmed User

I went off a horse (my fault not the horse) and busted two, not much you can do but try not to sneeze, cough or laugh for the next few weeks.

I was standing in my driveway, sneezed, hit the deck in the fetal position and was hoping none of my neighbors saw me!
Old 26 June 2019, 00:34
Been There Done That

Awww man. They seem to take forever to heal. As you already know...laughter & coughing hurt. DON'T SNEEZE. It's like being shot.

They reccomend not wrapping ribs now especially if there's a break that cause a pneumothorax, which I've had.

I've broke all of mine on the left side. 5 at once.

Take it easy.

Karl Childers
Old 26 June 2019, 00:50
Been There Done That

Also...if there's no chance of pushing the rib toward the lung a snug, but not too tight wrap helps some.

Dont be afraid to take the oxy. Especially at bedtime. You might sleep a little more comfortable. If you're hurting take em. Just don't start eating em like M&M's.

Karl Childers
Old 26 June 2019, 02:06
Been There Done That

Dang, Dude! I pee myself just thinking about it. I got thrown off a nasty mule many years ago ( I was not paying attention as mule was claustrophobic) I had to guide and run a camp that season, it was brutal! You take good care and if you want to heal , stay away from people!
Old 26 June 2019, 06:08

Several rib fractures here, 'floating' and two more superior including a small flail segment in one event.
Agree with the careful binding, I did best with a long Ace wrap and if I was having to move much, some taping at the top onto the skin (painfully ripping the tape off was a nice transference from the rib pain ).
I found acetaminophen more helpful, your mileage and liver may not agree.

Biggest issue reiterated in each episode, once the fracture site was more stable, was maintaining sufficient mobility and respiratory tidal volume to avoid lung consolidation and bronchopneumonia issues.

They suck; hope yours heals quickly.
DaveP
Old 26 June 2019, 10:26
Been There Done That

Get an Incentive Spirometer, your doc should be able to give you one - and use it...

You will tend to not breathe as deeply until healed. This leads to all kinds of bad shit...

Oh, and don't watch the Comedy Channel
Old 26 June 2019, 10:33
Been There Done That

Motrin and foot-powder and hit the dojo today.

I too broke two ribs (wheel-kick to the ribs while sparring). Follow what the docs and other advice here and you will be good.
Old 26 June 2019, 13:35
Confirmed User

1. Don’t wrap your chest. Although it makes things feel a little better in the short-term, it promotes pneumonia by restricting your breathing. The key is to minimize pain to the point that you can breathe normally. Being active works better than an incentive spirometer.
2. Motrin works better than Tylenol for pain control and far better than narcotics. But it can upset your stomach and give you an ulcer. Prevent that by taking Pepcid complete twice a day, as long as you are taking the Motrin. If your doc gives you a prescription for a different non-steroidal pain Med, like Mobic, take the Pepcid complete with it as well.

Broken ribs really suck for a couple weeks, followed by 2-4 weeks of kinda sucks. As soon as you reach kinda suck stage, wean off the Motrin.

If I failed to mention it before, don’t wrap your chest. It isn’t the correct answer.

Good luck,
Danny
Old 26 June 2019, 13:42
Red Headed Stepchild

Ow. How'd you break it?
Old 26 June 2019, 14:31
Old Scroll

Broken ribs are the worst. Sleeping becomes a bit of an ordeal.
I badly smashed the left side bottom two ribs an inch or two down from the sternum a bit over 15 years ago. Had a gap of a couple of inches that were pretty much just broken pieces. (fell onto a split rail fence, and the top rail caught my ribs on the left before my feet hit the ground)

Tried binding it, couldn't sleep at all. So I just EASED around for a few months. It healed up, eventually, but I've got a crazy bone bump on the left side of my chest now.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 26 June 2019, 15:57
Been There Done That

[QUOTE=B It healed up, eventually, but I've got a crazy bone bump on the left side of my chest now.[/QUOTE]

One of mine healed crooked or some shit too. I have this kinda bump on 1 rib that pops in & out of place.

Karl Childers
Old 26 June 2019, 16:30
Been There Done That

Bone bumps are all the rage, until a massage therapist tries to make it go away! I will add that it would have been impossible for me to saddle my horse and ride the high country all day without wrapping my ribs, but I understand the logic to not wrap them!

Last edited by schibbs; 26 June 2019 at 16:40.
Old 26 June 2019, 20:01
Authorized Personnel

I had always heard to wrap, thanks Chesie.

I too have come close to passing out from a sneeze.
Old 26 June 2019, 20:04
Old Scroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole crusty bastard View Post
..... snip .....

I too have come close to passing out from a sneeze.
And on the flip side to that, sneezing with a broken rib, try to wrap your head around this one:

My mother was taking dirty clothes out of a hamper, when she sneezed while in a bent over position. She broke two ribs, just from sneezing when bent over.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 26 June 2019, 20:43
BT,WBTWC

Question: How did you do it?

Answer: You won't believe it. Sunday I was up on an ladder installing a swing set for grandchildren, stepping down, missed the last step. Fell sideways from a total CG to impact of one meter exactly (I reconstructed it). Total free fall of 39.3701 inches, flat horizontal, and hid HARD with a dull thump on my right side, with my left side facing the sky. Zero damage to right side, nothing broken, not even a bruise or scrape. But when the instant of full impact resolved itself, the contre coup impact exploded up my left side. If you could have asked me what I expected to see looking over towards my left side I would have said "It's burst open, intestines are erupting out, nerves have been ripped loose, twisted, and allowed to flop outside the abdominal cavity, the diaphragm is torn loose, all while some midget with a blow torch is running it up and down my left side muttering in a Sons of Anarchy voice: Fire or Knife."

I laid on the ground a few moments speaking in tongues, gasping, waiting for my breath to come back. I tried not to move until I took inventory. After perhaps five full minutes I rolled back up and waited for the son of a bitch with the blow torch to let up. Go to my feet, pretended nothing had happened in front of the grandkids.

Went to the ER. Shuffled to an off room, a little poking, a CHEST x-ray (mostly directed toward my heart) that didn't show a fracture, an ULTRASOUND (as if I was pregnant, damn that gel is cold) that showed spleen intact, liver unlacerated, gall bladder intact, no evidence of internal hemorrhage. They have me a shot of morphine, 10 oxy tablets, and said if it didn't get better go see my regular doctor.

Next day nothing was better, I called my doctor. Day after that (Tuesday) she ordered a complete x-Ray, especially the Lower Left where the sensitivity was. "Well, she said, you were right. There is a non-displaced but complete fracture of a floating rib." I've asked for a copy of the x-ray so I can make a followup with the ER team "Hey, remember me ...".

Anyway, pure aspirin is doing better at pain relief than the Tylenol #3 they prescribed. And my doctor did give me 14 days of Mobic (Meloxicam) that is labeled for arthritis !? but doesn't seem to do any harm.

So I won't wrap it, will keep my lungs fully inflated down to the lobes (that seems to help too) and wait for the bones to knit.

At least they wrote me up "well developed well nourished male Caucasian appearance consistent with stated age of 66 ..." but with a resting pulse of 54 and 98~100% O2 saturation on room air, BP 116 over 80. "Hey, you work out or something?"

Thank you for the advice. My deepest condolences to anyone who has ever sustained this injury. I feel your pain.
Old 26 June 2019, 20:55
Red Headed Stepchild

copy you broke it gardening.
Old 26 June 2019, 21:21
Confirmed User

Along w/ everyone else's comments, hope you’re not a ‘side sleeper’. I broke 3 lower on my right side last summer & had to go back to totally sleeping on my back again after 4+ years post shoulder injuries & repair surgeries. Doc never told me I shouldn't lay on opposite side, but I felt that when I would, they weren’t ‘set’ properly as before compared to just laying flat on my back. By about week 3-4, I was doing much better. Definitely use the Spirometer, it will help your lungs stay fit & prevent respiratory infections.

Last edited by seabee1226; 26 June 2019 at 21:36.
Old 12 July 2019, 01:00
Been There Done That

There's all kinds of wrong medical advice here.. LOL. Though a Doc has stated the correct, latest treatment methods.

What a bunch of hard headed, hard ass folks on here just trying to complete the mission. Though self sacrifice of possible long term effects are ignored for a little temporary relief. Including me.

A really suck injury.

Karl Childers

Our new posting rules