SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 17 April 2019, 14:29
Boot For Life

Glad I came across this thread. I picked up an Aimpoint PRO last night and I have never used a red dot of any kind before. All of my AR experience has been with iron sights, an RCO, or the Vortex Strike Eagle. Any suggestions besides the 10/50 yard zero for mounting it? I've seem some guys online talk about locktighting the allen screws but that's not something I want to do unless it's a necessity. This is my go to home gun / range toy and I'll probably be taking a course with it this summer.
Old 17 April 2019, 15:19
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnklipsch View Post
I've seem some guys online talk about locktighting the allen screws but that's not something I want to do unless it's a necessity. This is my go to home gun / range toy and I'll probably be taking a course with it this summer.
Other than making sure its all the way forward in the slot when you tighten it - not much else.

I use Vibra-Tite VC-3 on everything. It's re-screwable, stays pliable.
Old 17 April 2019, 15:58
Been There Done That

Make sure use blue locktite, not red.
Old 19 April 2019, 08:42
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnklipsch View Post
I've seem some guys online talk about locktighting the allen screws but that's not something I want to do unless it's a necessity. This is my go to home gun / range toy and I'll probably be taking a course with it this summer.
Thread locker such as Blue loc-tite or Poly's recommendation is useful. I keep a small bottle of blue loc-tite in my range bag for grip screws, optics etc. After 300-500 rounds things tend to loosen up without it.

You may want to invest in a small in-lbs torque wrench as well e.g. Borka Tools Multi Torque Driver though any adjustable in-lbs wrench will do.
Old 25 January 2020, 18:28
Been There Done That

Just fixed up one of my ARs (Colt Socom m4a1) with carry handle rear sight this way. Is the 6/3 marking drum.

Take a 1/16th hex key and turn the small screw located in the hole on the top of the carry handle three full turns loose. Then I turned the bottom dial of the elevation drum 4 clicks clockwise. Now retighten the screw. Turn the drum now to the 6/3 marking. This is your 25 meters and 300 meter mark. Zero your carbine. Then turn the elevation drum 4 clicks counterclockwise (should stop), you now have a 50 yard zero.

This will be good for 25 - 250 meters. If have to take a shot at 300 meters, click back to the 6/3 position. Click 6 times further to the number 4 for 400 meters, number 5 for 500 meters, and one full riatoon back to 6/3 for 600 meters.

Remember if switching to the large aperture will hit about 2” low. So to eliminate that I just ordered a same plane aperture from XS systems to swap out on the aperture of my handle sight.

If using a 20” barrel A2 or A4 rifle, do the same as above, but you only do two clicks clockwise to adjust, and two clicks counter clockwise to go to 50m zero.

May make it a 100 meter zero instead. Do the same as above but turn the lower wheel of the drum 6 clicks clockwise to set instead of 4.

One thing I like about the 100 meter zero is you don’t really have to compensate until get out to around 200m. And you are always holding over which is easier to remember.

Another thing I have noticed on another AR I own (set up with an Eotech, and Troy flip up rear sight/fixed front sight) , as my right eye is not doing well - slight astigmatism even with corrective glasses and getting a bit of a cataract in my right eye, is that my Eotech center red dot is a bit dual/fuzzy. But if I look through the peep hole (Troy flip up sight, which Btw Have same plane aperture) the red dot/circle of the Eotech is now crisp and clean.

Last edited by leopardprey; 25 January 2020 at 18:34.
Old 26 January 2020, 00:20
Been There Done That

There may be a name for it, I don’t know. I don’t long range shoot. Mostly deer size game almost always within 100 yds.

With a rifle from a bench rest I shoot a Copenhagen can lid aiming center mass at 100 yds. I hit high right, I adjust the sights while looking through the scope on the rest to the previous hit.

Go cold barrel, verify shot adjustment . Shoot a group of three. Done. 100 yard zero. Ain’t gotta figure out a bunch of damn clicks.
Old 26 January 2020, 08:52
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
I shoot a Copenhagen can lid aiming center mass at 100 yds.
Aiming at a Cope can? You hunting deer or jarheads?
Old 26 January 2020, 09:04
In Vino Veritas

200m zero and hit within a few inches from 0-200m. Seems like a no brained for me with an AR platform in 5.56. Unless youíre in AFG and need a 300m zero...
Old 26 January 2020, 10:48
Reverse Apache Master

Calculate and zero for Max Point Blank Range (MPBR) and then figure out holds/clicks for anything outside of that. Easy peasy.

From 0 to MPBR, hold center and hit within 3-4" high or low. Outside of that, adjust.

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon
Old 26 January 2020, 11:50
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
Aiming at a Cope can? You hunting deer or jarheads?
Anything smaller than a Copenhagen can. We don't waste jars or jar accessories.
Old 26 January 2020, 13:42
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Anything smaller than a Copenhagen can. We don't waste jars or jar accessories.
LOL
Old 26 January 2020, 14:44
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS11 View Post
Calculate and zero for Max Point Blank Range (MPBR) and then figure out holds/clicks for anything outside of that. Easy peasy.

From 0 to MPBR, hold center and hit within 3-4" high or low. Outside of that, adjust.
Yea, MPBR calculators are cool for sure. I can't help it - I need all the nerd stuff - I like inputting Height Over Bore, Muzzle Velocity, and Ballistic Coefficient, and inputting all the ranges, looking for the lowest deviation...so basically, MPBR The Hard Way
Old 27 January 2020, 00:35
Hard to Kill

How do you guys zero pistol caliber carbines (or AR Pistols in PCC)
Old 27 January 2020, 01:53
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
25yds. Thatís about the furhest Iím going to shoot fast without putting much thought into it. This gives me POA=POI for 7-35(ish) yds. Closer than 7 is same offset as rifle so no change. Beyond 35 requires a moments pause anyways for headshots or high center A box hold out to about 60.
Old 27 January 2020, 06:13
BTDT

PCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I'm using a 100yd zero, for my PS90.

W/a 4 1/2" boreline/optic offset. That zero keeps things much less complex.

Good shooting
Old 27 January 2020, 06:30
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockcqc View Post
I'm using a 100yd zero, for my PS90.

W/a 4 1/2" boreline/optic offset. That zero keeps things much less complex.

Good shooting
How do you like that? One of the things that puts me off from the ps90 is the high boreline. Even higher than the Tavor . One of the faults of the Tavor - made as a CQB weapon, but bore line is 3.6”, a 75m zero Same as 50 m zero with AR.
Other than the boreline issue, and cost of ammo, the ps90 is one of the coolest/fun guns I have shot.
Old 28 January 2020, 05:02
BTDT

PS90 Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
How do you like that? One of the things that puts me off from the ps90 is the high boreline. Even higher than the Tavor . One of the faults of the Tavor - made as a CQB weapon, but bore line is 3.6Ē, a 75m zero Same as 50 m zero with AR.
Other than the boreline issue, and cost of ammo, the ps90 is one of the coolest/fun guns I have shot.
I am VERY comfortable w/it...Hahaha

Good shooting
Old 28 January 2020, 19:35
Not a ninja...

If you want to get into Ballistics programs, they can be downloaded for free. Mine for the advanced version was $19.99. I spent $100 on a Caldwell Chrono. Once you know the bullet and your speed the rest is easy. The Ballistic App will also pull temp conditions and elevation for my location. Yes, there are better options out there, for more money, but this does most of it, and I have successfully and repeatedly shot a long way with it.

For Zero?
Precision rifle.. 100 yds. Less environmental impact to trajectory. Everything else is dialed.
AR Rifle.. either 100 or 200yds. Both have merit.
AR Pistol.. 100 yds. Bullet rises until it meets the line of sight at 100 yds, then falls.
Hunting rifle.. 200 yds. 1.5" high at 100 yds, makes an easy shot when ranges are "close". And just a bit of hold over, when "further out". (Or use a range finder.)
.22LR Rifle.. I like 75yds. Though can be ammo dependent.
Pistol Caliber Carbine? Hmm.. I'd have to play with the trajectory to see. I'd want to know what it does in the off case I want to shoot something further than normal.

Point Blank Range, does get used incorrectly. Really you have to know the intended target size. So let's say it's an 8" vital. You want your bullet no higher than 4" above the Line of sight, and at the yardage the bullet falls 4" below the line of sight, that's your Max Point Blank Range. I would use 3" though instead of 4", because you'd have to have a dead on hold to keep it in the vital area. IE, give yourself some margin.

Our new posting rules