SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge > Travel

Old 7 February 2019, 19:44
Confirmed User

RFI Chile/Uruguay

I'm interviewing for one of two positions located in Chile-Valparasio/Santiago area or Montevideo, Uruguay.

Both spots will require travel 1-2 weeks per month. Any info on living conditions, ease of flying, driving, etc is much appreciated. I worked in Bolivia, Peru, and very briefly in Columbia many years ago, so I have some experience in SA. Unfortunately, my only exposure to Chile and Uruguay was a long layover in the Santiago airport and two days in a hotel room in Montevideo.

The job would initially be 12-18 months duration, so not a permanent relocation unless everything worked out well and we had the opportunity to stay. I'm retired from Uncle Sam, kids are in college, and my wife enjoys travel, so the move isn't a huge upheaval.
Old 8 February 2019, 19:48
The Sagacious One

Uruguay and Paraguay are fairly "historic". Not a lot has changed since the Spanish left. Nice and quiet from my short time there. Argentina is a different story.
Old 8 February 2019, 20:11
Been There Done That

I've spent a lot of time in Chile and Uruguay.

Chile: expensive by LATAM standards, most Chileans regards themselves as Europeans and not Latin Americans, great local restaurants and seafood especially king crab legs, lots of great bands can be found in the major cities, and plenty of hot local talent with liberal morals. Not really safe after hours in the major cities. Great wine tours and the southern part of the country gets few tourists and is spectacular.

Uruguay: Right on the ocean, small population (1M in the entire country), can take a hydrofoil to Buenos Aires for a weekend trip, one of my favorite countries in the summer (Nov-Feb). Great beer. I found the chicas to be quite conservative (unlike Chile). Montevideo is like a small town so everyone knows everyone which lowers the level of public debauchery of all forms. Very wealthy Brazilians, Argentinians, ad Paraguayans hav their summer homes out on Punta del Este. I think that's where I've met the highest number of LATAM gals from truly wealthy families (think the Hamptons).

HTH

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 8 February 2019, 21:25
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDragLowSpeed View Post
I've spent a lot of time in Chile and Uruguay.

Chile: expensive by LATAM standards, most Chileans regards themselves as Europeans and not Latin Americans, great local restaurants and seafood especially king crab legs, lots of great bands can be found in the major cities, and plenty of hot local talent with liberal morals. Not really safe after hours in the major cities. Great wine tours and the southern part of the country gets few tourists and is spectacular.

Uruguay: Right on the ocean, small population (1M in the entire country), can take a hydrofoil to Buenos Aires for a weekend trip, one of my favorite countries in the summer (Nov-Feb). Great beer. I found the chicas to be quite conservative (unlike Chile). Montevideo is like a small town so everyone knows everyone which lowers the level of public debauchery of all forms. Very wealthy Brazilians, Argentinians, ad Paraguayans hav their summer homes out on Punta del Este. I think that's where I've met the highest number of LATAM gals from truly wealthy families (think the Hamptons).

HTH
My experience as well. Miss the chivitos or the lomo finos, and crew sized beer. Montevideo is one of my favorite cities. Punto del Este beaches in the summer... muchas chicas.
Old 9 February 2019, 23:52
Confirmed User

I appreciate the insight, thank you. The local talent is something I can appreciate it, but unfortunately I'm way too old and out of the game to do anything other than look.
Old 10 February 2019, 08:47
Administrator

Montevideo is great, however, you can quickly run out of things to do, due to the small size of the city. You also have a huge surge of tourists during high season, so take that into account.

The beach locations mentioned in posts above can be quite expensive to rent in, due to their focus on summer visitors in my experience.

Our new posting rules