SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 7 February 2019, 02:02
Authorized Personnel

Linkedin is shady

I did a quick search in a couple sub-forms and found nothing on Linkedin. Thought I'd vent my ire & see if anyone has had similar experiences with these twatwaffles
(rage ON)

So I used Linkedin like so many other people. I tried a premium subscription for a while and found it not really that useful.
I THOUGHT I had cancelled it last month, well guess what NOPE!
Got billed again today. THERE IS NO CUSTOMER SERVICE NUMBER FOR BILLING! I called a number I found and got "Linkedin customer service" I spoke to an Indian guy who told me his name was "Marv"
Marv proceeded to tell me that LinkedIn has no billing department customer service, that if I want to cancel my subscription I must contact my bank & DISPUTE THE CREDIT CARD CHARGE!
I explained to "Marv" that I followed the steps for cancellation on the Linkedin website and was still charged. "Marv" proceeded to ask me "don't you know how to cancel a charge through your bank?"
What kind of shady ass outfit is LINKEDIN? EVERY NUMBER you find on the 'net is bogus for Linkedin. Give this "customer service number" a call & see what it gets you.
Old 7 February 2019, 02:38
Been There Done That

For your next trick, try to delete your account.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 7 February 2019, 04:42
Confirmed User

You should be able to it through your account - https://buffered.com/privacy/linkedi...subscriptions/

I don't find it strange that they don't have a direct phone number. Not everyone wants to talk to some idiot on the phone. I hate talking on the phone.
Old 7 February 2019, 06:59
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear View Post
You should be able to it through your account - https://buffered.com/privacy/linkedi...subscriptions/

I don't find it strange that they don't have a direct phone number. Not everyone wants to talk to some idiot on the phone. I hate talking on the phone.
They DO HAVE a customer service "guy", he's just an asshole & full of shit.

Using you link was no help, they don't have the same drop downs now as whenever that was posted.
Old 7 February 2019, 11:12
Problem Solver

Have you ever read LinkedIn's "terms of service/user agreement"?

Long story short, they can do absolutely whatever they want, whenever they want with any/all of your info, even in ways that haven't been invented or discovered yet.

Fuck that and fuck them...

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 7 February 2019, 11:20
Find a way out

Problems like this, along with a few others is why I'm trying to convince a few of my tech friends to create a LinkedIn alternative.

No comments or garbage articles from wannabe business publications or "Thot Leaders" constantly seeking praise.

Instead, what you're doing, where you want to go, how much would you consider working for in certain areas, fields, etc.

~ Frédéric Bastiat
Old 7 February 2019, 16:53
Confirmed User

I do not even have an account and I constantly get emails from them somehow saying somebody searched my name for something. Total BS if you ask me because they just want you to sign up which I never do.
Old 8 February 2019, 07:13
Conquer Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Have you ever read LinkedIn's "terms of service/user agreement"?

Long story short, they can do absolutely whatever they want, whenever they want with any/all of your info, even in ways that haven't been invented or discovered yet.

Fuck that and fuck them...
Yep. Anyone born in 2000 or after (and millenials, etc) are pretty much owned by social media before they even realize what's happened. Nobody reads the agreements. Nobody even cares what they're signing away. I have FB/LI accts so I'm in that boat as well. But crazy when you read the fine print.

I imagine they will be tools for the buying/owning of any future political candidates, corporate executives, etc.

"When your ruck gets too heavy, someone on this site will always help you carry it." - Chimo
Old 8 February 2019, 07:55
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls View Post
I imagine they are tools for the buying/owning of any current political candidates, corporate executives, etc.
I edited your last phrase based on ongoing events in Virginia.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 8 February 2019, 13:09
Swimming Upstream

PSA for Privacy.com

All, the OPs experience is precisely why I use Privacy.com for ALL my online purchases/subscriptions. Privacy is linked to your bank and allows you to create throw away debit cards. I have about 10 of them, all for different vendors...so in the case of L., I would sign up for the account, create (it takes about 1 minute) a privacy card just for L. and a limit of 10.00. This will allow me to try out a subscription, but if I decide I don't want recurring charges, I either pause that card, decrease the limit, or cancel it altogether. It's an awesome capability. I create them on the fly for anything I want to buy, including Airbnb, hotels, etc. Some remain open for recurring charges and some are one time use. I no longer worry about my CC being hacked because of online activity or charged when I don't want it to be. If once card/vendor does get breached, it has no affect upon your other cards. Love Love Love this service. And no, I have no affiliation with them, but use their site weekly.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 8 February 2019, 13:17
Confirmed User

Linkedin Is Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
All, the OPs experience is precisely why I use Privacy.com for ALL my online purchases/subscriptions. Privacy is linked to your bank and allows you to create throw away debit cards. I have about 10 of them, all for different vendors...so in the case of L., I would sign up for the account, create (it takes about 1 minute) a privacy card just for L. and a limit of 10.00. This will allow me to try out a subscription, but if I decide I don't want recurring charges, I either pause that card, decrease the limit, or cancel it altogether. It's an awesome capability. I create them on the fly for anything I want to buy, including Airbnb, hotels, etc. Some remain open for recurring charges and some are one time use. I no longer worry about my CC being hacked because of online activity or charged when I don't want it to be. If once card/vendor does get breached, it has no affect upon your other cards. Love Love Love this service. And no, I have no affiliation with them, but use their site weekly.
Excellent idea. Thank you for the post.
Old 8 February 2019, 16:42
Authorized Personnel

Purple THANK YOU!!!!

Thats f'kn awesome!!! I'm goin' to check that out now.
Old 8 February 2019, 19:12
In From The East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
Thanks for that tip....I’m on it like a duck on a junebug!
Old 8 February 2019, 21:28
Been There Done That

Purple36,
Never heard of that site before.
Old 8 February 2019, 21:42
Administrator

You all need to start reading more of the tech threads.

Info like that has been out for good amount of time.
Old 8 February 2019, 21:49
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
Purple36,
Never heard of that site before.
It's popular in the Privacy minded communities. I've been using their services for over a year. Never had a single problem and have spent thousands of dollars...just not using my actual credit card.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 9 February 2019, 11:26
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
You all need to start reading more of the tech threads.

Info like that has been out for good amount of time.
Dogs = LOW TECH

Seriously I am far behind the curve about shit like this & normally don't do social media (which is what Linkedin is IMO now) where I have to give money away.

Guess I gotta get more edumecated
Old 10 February 2019, 21:41
Confirmed User

same for www.indeed.com, the best job seeking site. they keep all your resume for public viewing for everyone after they removed all PII.

Our new posting rules