SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 11 October 2015, 18:16
Confirmed User

Mods all the links had spaces to prevent direct links but they somehow got put back in. Please disable the links. Sorry about that.
Old 14 October 2015, 01:17
I aim to misbehave

I sell customs from time to time, and my entire setup consists of a forge, anvil, chisels, rasps & files, drill press, belt grinder, and a set of punches. I've got around $450 into the whole thing, and I make any other tools I need. Of course, I can't match a real bladesmithing shop in production speed or anything, but I can turn out a quality fixed-blade knife in a couple days if I don't mind busting my ass.

While true:
Continue
Old 14 October 2015, 07:51
Administrator

I think Scotty is making some blades these days. Chris Williams down near Bragg is another friend who has gone into bladesmithing big time.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 14 October 2015, 07:52
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-rgr View Post
I do some bladesmithing. I try to avoid knives, because I don't have the 2x72 grinder (that I'll build soon...). I do tomahawks. There's one in the knife thread here: http://socnet.com/showpost.php?p=105...&postcount=436.

What questions can I help with

I must have one of those.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 27 October 2015, 10:09
micro-aggressive

If you want a fun and cheap exercise, make a training knife out of aluminum.
The current offerings are lame CNC cut and cord wrapped affairs. For less than $10 in materials and about 4 hours of your time, you can bang out a custom made "blade," properly weighted with a real handle. All with ordinary woodworking (hand) tools.
I made a couple for a Systema seminar, and they kind've developed a life of their own. I'm backordered 5 trainers now, each designed and spec'd by its future owner.

It's cheap and fun, you'll learn a lot about workflow, fitting scales, polishing, blade and handle design. The aluminum stock can be cut down with a jigsaw, and shaped with any grinder. It's easy on your tooling (in some cases, the handle material may be even harder than the blade), and there's no danger of setting your garage on fire with sparks.

I'm starting to use it as a cheap way to explore and test new handle materials (DIY micarta, woodchip damascus, etc.).

Plus, getting stabbed with a properly weighted trainer promotes a more realistic response than a child sized rubber safety knife.

EDIT: example stock cost: a 12x12x1/4" slab of 6061 aluminum will cost about $6 today. That's enough to easily craft 3 man sized blades and have a chunk left over for a set of "brass" knuckles. Scales can come from ebay, or the HD scrap bin of hardwoods. It's a trainer, so you don't have to go crazy with the handle material.

Last edited by SpudWrench; 27 October 2015 at 10:15. Reason: added cost example
Old 9 February 2019, 23:34
Confirmed User

Trying my hand at a Scagel style slip joint. First time making a folder and I already learned a bunch for the next one. Still a ton of fitting to do on the spring and blade lock up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KIMG0404.jpg (21.4 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg KIMG0405.jpg (25.5 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg KIMG0406.jpg (24.9 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg KIMG0407.jpg (23.8 KB, 277 views)
Old 10 February 2019, 19:18
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
Trying my hand at a Scagel style slip joint. First time making a folder and I already learned a bunch for the next one. Still a ton of fitting to do on the spring and blade lock up.
Cool. Can't wait to see the finished knife.
Old 10 February 2019, 22:57
Confirmed User

Icon5

Quote:
Originally Posted by knifemaker View Post
Cool. Can't wait to see the finished knife.
Had some issues with the scales and liners. Going to redo them so everything is in alignment and go from there.
Old 11 February 2019, 05:15
Been There Done That

I am hording all my old saw blades, files from work , chainsaw bars, mower blades etc. for this very thing. Someday when I can't do manual labor anymore( which could be tomorrow) I am going to have a whole bunch of hobbies..... She is not a vet, but Kaila Cummings makes some pretty sexy knives!
Old 11 February 2019, 13:53
Anesthetized User

I have a X-RGR made 'hawk. It is nothing short of very well made, balanced, and sharp.

If a Tomahawk appeals to you, give him a shout.
Old 11 February 2019, 21:39
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
I think Scotty is making some blades these days. Chris Williams down near Bragg is another friend who has gone into bladesmithing big time.
I've been close to pulling the trigger on one of his a few times. I really like his stuff. He's been putting on classes recently; something like that would be a fun introduction to knifemaking.

I don't know him at all, but he seems like he'd be a hoot to hang out with.
Old 13 February 2019, 15:42
Been There Done That

I just made this one over last weekend at a class put on by Audra Draper (MS). Very good class. Knifemaker already mentioned taking an ABS class, but taking a class from an ABS Master probably was one of the best things I've ever done, as far as forging/knives are concerned.

Old 13 February 2019, 15:43
Been There Done That

It's always a chore to upload a pic for me. I must be doing something stupid.
Old 13 February 2019, 16:15
Confirmed User

Quote:
I just made this one over last weekend at a class put on by Audra Draper (MS). Very good class. Knifemaker already mentioned taking an ABS class, but taking a class from an ABS Master probably was one of the best things I've ever done, as far as forging/knives are concerned.

Stunning!
Old 13 February 2019, 16:58
Been There Done That

Well, in all fairness, I had someone who had been professionally making knives for something like 22 years standing behind me coaching me, and we were working in her shop, which was outfitted with all of the "just perfect" tools and setups for such a knife. Trying it at home, I'm expecting a different outcome... but I have a base of knowledge that I didn't have a week ago.
Old 13 February 2019, 22:52
Confirmed User

That is a dandy! My Dad got into making Damascus for a while. He was taking forklift chains and old logging cable to make it.
Old 14 February 2019, 22:04
Confirmed User

Let's see if this posts. This has been my recent project. I bought the blade and I've taken care of the handles and bolsters. Both the handles and bolsters are micarta. Shaping everything has been an experience. Next time, I'll radius the front of the scales prior to gluing them on. I only cut them out roughly prior to gluing this time; shaping them with my grinder has been nearly impossible.

Looks like my picture isn't posting. Here's a link to a picture.

Last edited by MacDuff; 14 February 2019 at 22:10.
Old 15 February 2019, 23:29
Confirmed User

Quote:
Well, in all fairness, I had someone who had been professionally making knives for something like 22 years standing behind me coaching me, and we were working in her shop, which was outfitted with all of the "just perfect" tools and setups for such a knife. Trying it at home, I'm expecting a different outcome... but I have a base of knowledge that I didn't have a week ago.
I took a class with her husband down in Arkansas. Ask him if he's still known as Audra's husband, and his Jerry Fisk original plastic knife.
Old 16 February 2019, 00:31
Been There Done That

That sounds like you're settin' me up. I liked the guy. He's got that shop and all the tools tuned to a gnat's ass. Some of his set-up tools for his folders are really well thought-out. He's a pleasant enough guy, but I get the impression that he's all business.
Old 16 February 2019, 19:30
Confirmed User

Quote:
That sounds like you're settin' me up. I liked the guy. He's got that shop and all the tools tuned to a gnat's ass. Some of his set-up tools for his folders are really well thought-out. He's a pleasant enough guy, but I get the impression that he's all business.
He's a good guy. I'm not setting you up. Through out our class and our little trip to Uncle Al's store in AR. He would introduce himself as Audra's husband and was just getting into knifemaking. Audra was already a Master Smith at the time.

Our new posting rules