SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 7 February 2019, 08:57
Shakin' the bush Boss

I'm just a mountain man poser. Like the CPA that has a set of black leather biker gear in the closet for two weekends a year.
Old 7 February 2019, 09:07
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
A trapping article I wrote for one of the local mags:
http://va-outdoors.com/mag/trapping-...ion-continued/
Nicely done!
Old 9 February 2019, 16:23
The Copenhagen Kid

Fckn Weekend Warriors! LOL. I see it all the time. I'm not a biker btw.

Quote:
Like the CPA that has a set of black leather biker gear in the closet for two weekends a year.

Hope is not a plan.

Always keep your mouth shut and never rat on your friends.
Old 9 February 2019, 21:31
Been There Done That

Just an FYI! I have not killed a deer in over three years . Though it appears I could learn to harvest muskrat with all the swamp around! Anyhoo, the buck I got with my bow in 2015 and vacuum sealed is still incredibly delicious. I just defrosted my freezer and found the rest of it, about 25 meals worth! No freezer burn, though it is getting close to it!
Old 9 February 2019, 21:55
Shakin' the bush Boss

Come down here next fall, killing a deer here is hard to avoid. Just drive around awhile, one will volunteer and commit hari kari on your truck.
Old 9 February 2019, 21:57
Been There Done That

Quote:
Come down here next fall, killing a deer here is hard to avoid. Just drive around awhile, one will volunteer and commit hari kari on your truck.
Or just come & sit on my back deck.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 11 February 2019, 19:40
Been There Done That

I usually have a chance at some "roadkill" steak every now and again around here. My biggest problem has been finding time to hunt, and my new bow has yet to launch an arrow off the range!
Old 11 February 2019, 19:46
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by schibbs View Post
I usually have a chance at some "roadkill" steak every now and again around here. My biggest problem has been finding time to hunt, and my new bow has yet to launch an arrow off the range!

Faithful Attendance Schibbs That's what gets em. Big deer up your way. They moved some Wisconsin deer down to N. Georgia many moons ago in an attempt to put some good genes in those mountain deer.

Old 11 February 2019, 23:24
The atomic zit

Best venison I ever had was DOR. We ate on it for at least a week!!!
Old 12 February 2019, 07:24
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Faithful Attendance Schibbs That's what gets em. Big deer up your way. They moved some Wisconsin deer down to N. Georgia many moons ago in an attempt to put some good genes in those mountain deer.
I am with you on the faithful attendance. I had been nailing one or three every year here on the farm till my sister and brother-in-law lost their dairy and they had to sell the 50 or so acres of woods that I had groomed and nurtured for the last 13 years. Talk about a pissed off white boy when the guy who won the bid on the woods was the asshole neighbor kid! I was fit to be tied! There are some really nice deer up here, but hunting land is prime and people come to blows over it. The whole internet thing has outpriced the land and the leases around here!
Old 12 February 2019, 07:47
Been There Done That

That's the truth right there. If you're not hunting your own property or have permission from another landowner it sucks. The hunting clubs are everywhere. I've had run ins with them. MOST landowners are reasonable if you just ask and let them know you hunt responsibly and wont fire a 30/06 toward there house or livestock.

Growing up here you could just about park anywhere alongside the road and go in the woods anywhere. Those days are over.

Shame you groomed that land and family lost it.

Old 12 February 2019, 08:44
Been There Done That

Most of the dairy farms in my area have gone under or sold out to big corporate farms which are milking tons of cows. I am from Colorado and have never gotten use to this type of hunting pressure and this amount of assholes. I found a spot several years ago north and west of me in a huge swamp. I hiked in or road my mountain bike. Tons of deer, spooky freaking land, but brutal to get one out of there by myself . I will go back in there next year.
Old 12 February 2019, 23:36
Been There Done That

Schibbs, save your breath and come up here - 155 acres with half a dozen proven stands, every one of them accessible by my tractor.

You have been up here, you know what the lay of our land is. Every friend or relative who has hunted here has taken one or more trophy bucks.

I have been hunting alone the past three years. Sure would like to have another hunting partner.

"For the mission, then. As long as he functions, I will humor him."
"If you don't humor him, you may find out how well he functions."
Old 12 February 2019, 23:48
Been There Done That

[QUOTE=Lefty;1058781329]Schibbs, save your breath and come up here - 155 acres with half a dozen proven stands, every one of them accessible by my tractor.

You have been up here, you know what the lay of our land is. Every friend or relative who has hunted here has taken one or more trophy bucks.

I have been hunting alone the past three years. Sure would like to have another hunting partner.[/QUOTE

Lefty, I would love to hunt up there. Am sorry you have been hunting alone, but that does have it's perks as the solitude can be therapeutic. I am done cleaning the factory next week. I have some electrical work to finish for Ma and Pa. I will make a trip north after that and stop by on either my way through or back from visiting a friend in Rhinelander. Good to see your posts on here! Hope all is as well as can be expected!
Old 12 February 2019, 23:57
Time is a flat circle

Quote:
A tax payer was kind enough to sacrifice the front bumper and hood in slaying a deer for my coworkers and I a few weeks ago. He was more than happy to give us the animal to “deal with”. It was a nice sized doe. The backstrap was fucking huge(and delicious).

Deer sausage, back strap and “boo- dan”. Sometimes, it’s a real sacrifice to do this job.

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 13 February 2019, 00:12
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebean54 View Post
A tax payer was kind enough to sacrifice the front bumper and hood in slaying a deer for my coworkers and I a few weeks ago. He was more than happy to give us the animal to “deal with”. It was a nice sized doe. The backstrap was fucking huge(and delicious).

Deer sausage, back strap and “boo- dan”. Sometimes, it’s a real sacrifice to do this job.
I miss the occasional elk roadkill from the high country. Usually , an unsuspecting tourist driving too fast or some chick on her cellphone. Elk and moose will seriously mess up your rig, but the backstraps are freaking huge and the DOW was more than happy to get the carcass away from the road.
Old 13 February 2019, 00:18
Confirmed User

Quote:

...“boo- dan”. Sometimes, it’s a real sacrifice to do this job.
I've never had boudain but I've been looking at recipes to use up some liver and turkey.
Old 13 February 2019, 00:30
Time is a flat circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by schibbs View Post
I miss the occasional elk roadkill from the high country. Usually , an unsuspecting tourist driving too fast or some chick on her cellphone. Elk and moose will seriously mess up your rig, but the backstraps are freaking huge and the DOW was more than happy to get the carcass away from the road.
How many people a year die from hitting elk? We lose people to horses and cows getting out and someone smacking it.

But I bet that shit is tasty!!!

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 13 February 2019, 00:39
Time is a flat circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
I've never had boudain but I've been looking at recipes to use up some liver and turkey.
It’s normally pork based. Turkey boudain is pretty much vegan around here

I’ll see if I can scrounge up a turkey recipe.

Old 13 February 2019, 01:46
Been There Done That

Quote:
How many people a year die from hitting elk? We lose people to horses and cows getting out and someone smacking it.

But I bet that shit is tasty!!!

I honestly do not know the statistics on that. While I was in Grand County, Co for over 25 years I did not recall a traffic fatality by large game, or forgot. I was an EMT for awhile and saw a few accidents.
Tasty is an understatement, but the crop fed venison in the midwest and east is hard to beat for flavor. Mule deer in the high country, not so much.

Our new posting rules