SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Closed Thread

Old 13 June 2011, 06:34
Overseas Gunplumber

There's a bad ass picture that was captured recently of a kitty perched atop a Saguaro cactus here in AZ.

27086284_640X462.jpg

I have been to some armorer courses.

Owner- Semper Paratus Arms, LLC

Last edited by iraqgunz; 13 June 2011 at 06:38.
Old 13 June 2011, 06:54
Just me & my Jeep...

lol...the folks at PETA are probably going *nuts*! They will probably sue the driver.....
Old 13 June 2011, 09:50
Sub Rosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaclerk View Post
Mountain lion killed by car on Connecticut highway

(CNN) -- A mountain lion was killed in a car accident in Milford, Connecticut, on Saturday and authorities say the cat may have been the same one spotted this week in nearby Greenwich.

The Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection says it responded to a State Police call about 1 a.m. Saturday morning reporting a collision between a 2006 Hyundai Tucson SUV and a mountain lion in the area of Exit 55 of Route 15 in Milford. The mountain lion died of injuries in the crash, but the SUV driver was uninjured.

Connecticut DEP says it's possible and even likely that the mountain lion killed early Saturday morning is the same cat that's been roaming around Greenwich this month. The animal was last seen Sunday on the campus of a college prep school.

The 140-pound male cat is at a DEP facility where his body, along with paw prints and other specimens are being analyzed and tested to determine if it is the same cat seen in Greenwich.

Mountain lions are not native to Connecticut, but they do travel extensively and can roam a few hundred miles a day, DEP says. Milford is about 40 miles north of Greenwich, which DEP says would have easily been within the cat's roaming range.

If I chopped a few trees down east of my old house in Shelton, you could probably see the vicinity of that intersection off of RT15, about 3/4 mile straight line distance. My house sat in the woods on a ridge overlooking the river and Milford. I've seen plenty of wildlife in the area, but, certaintly no cats that size. I will say there is plenty of deer and I do recall seeing reports of black beer sightings in the vicinity as well. There are also a couple of horse farms off of Wheeler Farm and Wolf Harbor Roads and they would offer up an easy meal. As Mike said, anything south or east of RT 15 is urbanized, but, travel a bit west or north of 15 and you will pretty quickly get into New England rural.
Old 13 June 2011, 10:34
Cry havoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
If I chopped a few trees down east of my old house in Shelton, you could probably see the vicinity of that intersection off of RT15, about 3/4 mile straight line distance. My house sat in the woods on a ridge overlooking the river and Milford. I've seen plenty of wildlife in the area, but, certaintly no cats that size. I will say there is plenty of deer and I do recall seeing reports of black beer sightings in the vicinity as well. There are also a couple of horse farms off of Wheeler Farm and Wolf Harbor Roads and they would offer up an easy meal. As Mike said, anything south or east of RT 15 is urbanized, but, travel a bit west or north of 15 and you will pretty quickly get into New England rural.

lol, I used to live right off of Wheeler Farm Rd. In that development that you can see on the hill if you're coming north on the Merritt, going over the river, up on the hill. I lived in the smaller of those 2 developments. Can't remember what the hell it is called now. Nice area, although I prefer being a bit further up on 95. Like you say, plenty of good eating!

Two eyes from the east.
Old 13 June 2011, 11:15
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
seeing reports of black beer sightings
Guiness no doubt.
Old 13 June 2011, 11:22
Ne Obliviscaris

Quote:
Guiness no doubt.
Beat me to it.
Old 13 June 2011, 12:01
Sub Rosa

Quote:
Guiness no doubt.
Actually, I'm into this: http://www.germanbeerinstitute.com/weissbier.html

Because I was stationed in Bier Nirvana for 3 years, I'm sorta disdainful of other lesser brews.
Old 13 June 2011, 12:22
carry on smartly

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-rgr View Post
My Dad lives in north-central Oklahoma. He said an adult female got hit and killed by a train a few years ago. It was such a big deal that it made the papers. How the hell an athletic animal like a mountan lion gets killed by a train is beyond me.... Nonetheless, it happened. The biologists think the cat may have been crazy.

However, the female that got hit by the train was tagged the previous fall in Northern Idaho (if memory serves. It may have been northern Wyoming).

I live in Casper, and it's 900-plus miles from my house to my Dad's house, and that cat covered the same distance in one winter.

So a cat killed locally isn't necessarily a local cat.
There is an Oklahoma Predator Hunters Association board. Members have a great deal of spirit/vigor when discussing the topic of big cats in Okla.

My thoughts are: if a Jaguar can be caught in AZ then what's stopping the other big cats from extending their habitats. http://www.livescience.com/5316-rare...na-mexico.html

If my colts or calves start disappearing then I've got at least three buddies who can tag team with me to stop it from happening.
Old 13 June 2011, 13:57
Confirmed User

Quote:
I suspect that this was someone's pet that got loose, but if these magnificent animals are beginning to populate the New England area all they would have to do is run through deer infested areas with their mouths open to get a meal.
I know of reliable witnesses--trappers-- who've seen evidence of mountain lions in this area going back years. An outdoor writer I know saw evidence of one that passed through Talcott Mountain about a decade ago. Six or seven years ago there was a reliable report of a mountain lion sighting in the Berkshires in MA, which isn't very far from here.

By the middle of the 19th Century most of the forest in CT was logged for charcoal used for charcoal for iron smelters, ship materials, wooden shoes, etc. As a consequence the woodland animals such as moose, deer, black bear, timberwolf, and mountain lions lost their habitat and disappeared. Since the turn of the 20th century the forest lands have grown back, and consequently the deer, moose, and bears have returned to the state. In 1976 the state reopened deer season for the first time in decades-- and now as Mike says they're all over like rats. IMO it was only a matter of time before the mountain lions show up as well.

The CT DEP tries to deny that there may be mountain lions here because they will have to do a lot of federal paperwork and management planning as the species is listed as endangered. CT DEP does not want that headache, so with this animal they have said it was a bobcat or a released pet.

This animal may indeed be a released pet, but I'm not betting on it!

A mountain lion is one critter I would not want to mess with!
Old 13 June 2011, 15:16
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon View Post
A mountain lion is one critter I would not want to mess with!
Any animal that can leap 20 feet (or more?) and pounce on you with dagger like claws and fangs the size of my pinkie finger is a creature to be respected.

The closest I've ever come to a predatory cat in the wild was late one night when I wandered away from our camp on a canoe trip in Missouri. I didn't see it, but I sure could hear it.

Although I still think the dog pack that started circling me while I was taking a dump in the pitch black night in Iraq, growling the whole time, was a lot scarier.
Old 13 June 2011, 18:42
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Spackler View Post
Seen spore all over Camp Pendalton hunting.
Spoor. (Afrikaans: tracks)

Unfortunate for the cat. I happen to be quite fond of cats of all species and sizes, and one of the great things about the cougar and the lynx is that they both prey of the coyote population. Trying to keep a felid of that size as a pet however is not fair to the cat.
Old 14 June 2011, 09:27
Confirmed User

Quote:
Any animal that can leap 20 feet (or more?) and pounce on you with dagger like claws and fangs the size of my pinkie finger is a creature to be respected...The closest I've ever come to a predatory cat in the wild was late one night when I wandered away from our camp on a canoe trip in Missouri. I didn't see it, but I sure could hear it....Although I still think the dog pack that started circling me while I was taking a dump in the pitch black night in Iraq, growling the whole time, was a lot scarier.
A few years ago there was a Discovery Channel program about large predators attacking people. The program featured a young man who was a merchant marine had shore leave at home and was riding his mountain bike in a rural area outside Seattle WA. A young male mountain lion attacked him from behind and took him off of his bike. The guy was fighting the mountain lion fiercely, using the wheel of his bike to beat the lion. But the lion did not give up, and a passing motorist pulled the young man into his pickup truck saved him from serious injury or death. The other thing that saved the young man was the fact that the mountain lion made first contact with his backpack, and not his back.

In all my time in the outdoors I've seen a Bobcat just two times: Once during a fishing trip to Maine, and once in this area along a dirt road just after dark when I was headed home after evening trout fishing. And I wouldn't want to mess with even a cat of that size!

As we've talked about in previous years this state has become full of coyotes, and in more remote areas you can hear them howl in packs at night. It is a tad creepy.

And finally our area has become loaded with turkeys, which I see on a regular basis in many areas of this state including the Merritt Parkway and close to the Berlin Turnpike, which is a very developed area!
Old 14 June 2011, 13:02
Confirmed User

Wild turkeys in large groups, deer everywhere....you can hunt from your back deck with a bow and arrow....what's better then that?

A couple of years ago I reported what I thought was a timber wolf to the local DEP. I was pretty much laughed at and told that it was just a coyote....but damn if this thing didn't look like a large husky. The tip off was how it moved....moved like a big cat instead of a canine.
Old 14 June 2011, 14:32
Cry havoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19MIKE View Post
Wild turkeys in large groups, deer everywhere....you can hunt from your back deck with a bow and arrow....what's better then that?

A couple of years ago I reported what I thought was a timber wolf to the local DEP. I was pretty much laughed at and told that it was just a coyote....but damn if this thing didn't look like a large husky. The tip off was how it moved....moved like a big cat instead of a canine.
I saw one the other night - large animal that is, unfortunately it was dusk and I was taken by surprise. Damn sure wasn't a deer, twice the size of my husky. Figured it was either a coyote or a if not, more then likely a stray dog. It was a bit unnerving, so I charged it barking and screaming. Wife thought I was nuts. Haven't seen it since.

Other than that, deer and turkeys, I could shoot them sitting at my desk in my home office. They're so plentiful it's nuts, although this year they seem a bit smaller in #, last year I saw a herd of 19 (turkeys) cross the street in my neighborhood. Oddly enough currently we are being INFUCKINGVADED by chipmunks.

Two eyes from the east.
Old 14 June 2011, 15:36
Confirmed User

Feral Dog Packs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Although I still think the dog pack that started circling me while I was taking a dump in the pitch black night in Iraq, growling the whole time, was a lot scarier.
This has been becoming more of an issue in recent years within the U.S. as well. Here's a current pack that was being hunted for preying on local livestock.

http://colvillestevenscounty.kxly.co...-attacks/48080

And the current report after they were dealt with:

http://colvillestevenscounty.kxly.co...k-killed/48831

I know we've had to runoff/shoot feral dogs on at least three occasions over the last twenty-four years when our horses/ponies/sheep were threatened here locally.
Old 14 June 2011, 16:05
Confirmed User

Wolf Sightings

Quote:
I don't think any supposedly "wolf-free" state can absolutely guarantee they aren't in residence somewhere. One of the females from Yellowstone was illegally killed in CO a couple years ago, along with one of the last Druids being killed way north of the park in MT. And I believe one of their males turned up in UT as well. Also, an animal recently killed in MO turned out to have migrated down from the upper Midwest wolf population.

Wolves travel huge distances as routine habit, and a lone wolf (which will usually try to avoid strange packs to stay alive) may travel multiple states trying to find a "safe" place to set up a territory, avoiding most people along the way. And that doesn't even touch on the issue of high-content wolf-dogs being dumped by irresponsible owners who never should have purchased them in the first place (they're very expensive to maintain/house correctly).

If mine were ever to run amuck in my county, I have no doubt he'd be shot for being a "wolf," whether he was harassing livestock or not. And it would be understandable as probably only a wolf biologist or an experienced high-content owner would be able to tell the difference between him and his wild cousins.

Although since there has been such extensive crossbreeding between wolves and coyotes over the last century, there's always the possibility that what you saw was a hybrid critter. An extensive genetic survey was released recently looking at the wolves/coyotes/domestic dogs in North America, and with the exception of the wolves we have in the Northern Rockies and the western coyotes, most of the other wild canines in the eastern half of the nation turned out to be "mutts," not pure wolf and not pure coyote, and with a significant dose of domestic dog thrown in from crosses between the populations.
Old 14 June 2011, 16:52
Cry havoc

I had heard there was a pretty good issue in CT with wild dogs? Anyone know anything about this?

Two eyes from the east.
Old 14 June 2011, 17:07
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAandWRITER View Post
Although since there has been such extensive crossbreeding between wolves and coyotes over the last century, there's always the possibility that what you saw was a hybrid critter.
I just spoke to a guy who said the same thing. That the reason that the Eastern Coyote is bigger than it's western counterpart is because of this.
Old 14 June 2011, 17:45
Confirmed User

Uber Coyotes

Quote:
I just spoke to a guy who said the same thing. That the reason that the Eastern Coyote is bigger than it's western counterpart is because of this.
Yep, the study that came out recently comparing wolves, coyotes, and dogs (which used over 48,000 genetic markers) showed the "wolves" in the Great Lakes region were only 85% wolf, with 15% coyote genetics. The "wolves" in Eastern Ontario were only 58% wolf, and the "red wolf" in North Carolina was only 24% wolf (76% coyote).

Northeastern coyotes (such as in New York) averaged about 9% wolf and 9% domestic dog, while Midwestern and Southeastern coyotes only carried about 2.5% wolf and 7.5% domestic dog. So you have the purer coyotes of the West still hunting primarily rodents as the "jumbos" back east with larger, wider skulls have shifted toward hunting deer.

(Which may not bode well for the NC red wolf as far as its conservation status is concerned . . . a coy-wolf mutt probably won't fare as well as a rare sub-species would have in the future)
Old 14 June 2011, 18:18
Drawing my cutlass

Sounds like you need more mountain lions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC2W View Post
I saw one the other night - large animal that is, unfortunately it was dusk and I was taken by surprise. Damn sure wasn't a deer, twice the size of my husky. Figured it was either a coyote or a if not, more then likely a stray dog. It was a bit unnerving, so I charged it barking and screaming. Wife thought I was nuts. Haven't seen it since.

Other than that, deer and turkeys, I could shoot them sitting at my desk in my home office. They're so plentiful it's nuts, although this year they seem a bit smaller in #, last year I saw a herd of 19 (turkeys) cross the street in my neighborhood. Oddly enough currently we are being INFUCKINGVADED by chipmunks.
Closed Thread

Our new posting rules