SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Closed Thread

Old 29 July 2011, 19:01
Carl Spackler
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectr17 View Post
We blew that pic up trying to get better look at his tail and back end but no luck. The tracks he put down in the mud that night were just shy of 3 3/4". Are you going by the dark areas on his front haunches?
Yeah but maybe thats the lens? Over three is a good size cat. There are some big ones roaming A/B ranges at Pendalton last deer season. I saw some track that size and bigger in the mud. They are pretty elusive. Saw alot of coyote on the FLIR but only track for the cats.
Old 3 August 2011, 04:13
Livin' On Blues Power

A local warden here I know had the sentencing for a ranch supervisor in Fallbrook CA announced. The ranch hand pleaded guilty to killing a mountain lion and will pay $1,000 fine and has to destroy the Ruger 10/22 he shot the cat with. Bottom line, if you shoot a cat better have your story straight.

http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/fa...3d53c61ce.html
Old 3 August 2011, 17:46
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
We live on 155 wooded acres in northern WI and are accustomed to lots of deer, too many coyotes, and numbers of black bear. WI DNR, despite numerous credible reports, denied for years that any cougars were returning until hair samples, tracks, scat, and photos became undeniable. We have had credible sightings in our township.
DNR also downplayed reports of increasing wolf packs until recently. Happened to look out the window at just the right time three years ago and saw two wolves cross a corner of my field app. 200 yds away into the woods on our south boundary. About a minute later three coyotes burst out of those woods on a dead run, came straight across the field and through the back yard without slowing. Confronted the local DNR guys a few weeks later and one finally admitted they had ID'd at least four specific individual wolves staking out a territory including our property. I find tracks and scat routinely.
Used to let our golden retriever run the whole property, now we keep him on a leash or tied to the back porch under supervision. I never go in the woods without a shotgun now, even when woodcutting.
Looks like the Milford Cougar passed through your neck of the woods, a little bit further south most likely. It tripped a motion sensor camera in early 2010, Clark County, WI and another trail camera caught his image in Michigan that same year.

The Tribune had a nice little editorial piece on this cat's adventure, sounds like they're getting crowded out of their habitat out west, not enough females to go around and too little space to support them all.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...s-trail-camera
Old 3 August 2011, 18:35
Confirmed User

Quote:
sounds like they're getting crowded out of their habitat out west, not enough females to go around and too little space to support them all.
There is a lot of food for mountain lions here in New England and no competition from any other species such as timber wolves. If the mountain lions can adapt to habitat that is fragmented by roads and suburban houses they would probably do very well here...

Also one very small point from the article: Milford is a city in its own right and is not a suburb of New Haven. If you are not familiar with the Merritt Parkway, it goes through some very dense woodlands in New Haven and Fairfield Counties. The woods along the highway are loaded with deer, turkey, woodchucks, etc, which I imagine would keep a mountain lion well fed...
Interesting article; thanks for posting it Spinner!
Old 3 August 2011, 19:22

It's pretty clear that's what compelled the cougar from a few years ago to make its way to Chicago.

Although the only other cougars he would have found were the two legged variety, age range of 40-50, who frequented the Rush Street nightclub area.
Old 4 August 2011, 02:20
Livin' On Blues Power

Round about 2005 a big kitty was sitting on a wooden fence here in Redlands eyeballing a small boy in his bedroom. As the kid ran out of his bedroom to mom's bedroom it triggered the cat to pounce and kitty crashed through the bedroom window into the boy's room. Mom saw the cat, grabbed junior, slammed her bedroom door shut and called the cops. Cops weren't really believing her until the cat escaped out the front door and several more calls came in about a big cat running through the neighborhood, especially an elderly gentleman out for his walk who soiled himself when kitty ran over the top of him to escape.

The word goes out there is a man eater loose in the heart of the city and RPD responds en force. Deputies combed the neighborhood until a big brown cat was spotted in the brush nearby and BLAMMO!! End of kitty. But there was a big problem, the deputy had shot Miss Morton's outrageously fat tabby cat Bootsie. Man did the cat lovers howl over that. Cat weighed something like 25 pounds, can you really blame the officer when he spotted it in the cover at 75 yards? I Googled the local paper story but they only show the 2007 cat story of a momma cougar and 2 juveniles that were in a tree a block over.
Old 4 August 2011, 14:54
Confirmed User

Quote:
lthough the only other cougars he would have found were the two legged variety, age range of 40-50, who frequented the Rush Street nightclub area.
Plenty of those in the downtown area of Milford-- right at the Stonebridge Cafe lol!
Old 6 August 2011, 11:41
Confirmed User

You Connecticuters (and all New Englanders) need to get a clue. If your damn zoning laws did not require/force such big yards, you would not have this problem. More government regulation is obviously the answer. Just like food, medicine, education, air conditioning, exercise, heat (this in particular needs all kinds of regulation - can't have tens of thousands of people die in one summer like happened in 2003), etc. - land size is also related to overall heathcare. There is NOTHING in your life that is not somehow related to overall healthcare. Therefore, because we cannot think for ourselves and be in charge of our own well-being, the government needs to curtail our liberties. This cougar is just one over-the-top example of why it is so important.

Shrink your yard sizes damnit. It should be required!
Old 6 August 2011, 12:09
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ2JM1783 View Post
You Connecticuters (and all New Englanders) need to get a clue. If your damn zoning laws did not require/force such big yards, you would not have this problem. More government regulation is obviously the answer. Just like food, medicine, education, air conditioning, exercise, heat (this in particular needs all kinds of regulation - can't have tens of thousands of people die in one summer like happened in 2003), etc. - land size is also related to overall heathcare. There is NOTHING in your life that is not somehow related to overall healthcare. Therefore, because we cannot think for ourselves and be in charge of our own well-being, the government needs to curtail our liberties. This cougar is just one over-the-top example of why it is so important.

Shrink your yard sizes damnit. It should be required!
Yeah but TJ...we are allowed to hunt in our yards, residential properties, with a bow and arrow. No traveling for hours to a hunting area, no sitting in freezing blinds....just walk out your back door and shoot!
Old 7 August 2011, 11:05
Confirmed User

Quote:
Yeah but TJ...we are allowed to hunt in our yards, residential properties, with a bow and arrow. No traveling for hours to a hunting area, no sitting in freezing blinds....just walk out your back door and shoot!
Amen! Like I said, the town I coach in deer hunters walk from their houses to their stands in the afternoon all fall. I can drive 40 minutes and be standing in a prime trout river or the CT River, or fishing for stripers, blues, weakfish, false albacore etc in Long Island Sound. There are not many places where you can do that!
Old 7 August 2011, 11:59
Been There Done That

IN other top predator news, Great Whites off Cape Cod now numbering enough such that 6 were tagged in one day. One was even found off a SC beach not too long ago.
Old 8 August 2011, 21:21

Damn, that's a lot. I always thought that the area off the central coast of the Pacific was where you'd find the majority of them.

Nice to know that they really aren't interested us as an entree, even when they wind up taking a substantial chunk out of somebody's hide.
Old 9 August 2011, 09:35
Confirmed User

Quote:
I always thought that the area off the central coast of the Pacific was where you'd find the majority of them.
The largest Great Whites ever caught on rod and reel were hauled in off of the New England coast by Frank Mundus. He caught a very large Great White off of Cape Cod in the 1970's, and then in the 1980's caught the largest one in a hole east of Long Island and south of Rhode Island. Frank Mundus hailed from Long Island, and is the person that fellow Long Islander Peter Benchly is supposed to have based his character Sam Quint in Jaws.

In New England the Harbor Seals have come back big time in the last 20 years, and because the Great Whites love to snack on them they have come into coastal areas of the region as well.

Now the "big" story from Fairfield county is mosquitoes with West Nile Virus lol!
Old 9 August 2011, 09:59
Drawing my cutlass

Great Whites migrate huge distances for reasons unknown. They have been tracked in the roaring 40s in the southern hemisphere to depths of 1000+ meters on their way to Western Australia where the water temperatures are tropical. They've also been known to migrate to Hawaii again for reasons unknown. The fact that they are now showing up in areas close to the warm Gulf Stream is probably due less to any change in behavior in these animals than the fact that scientists have finally found them.
Old 9 August 2011, 11:33
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19MIKE View Post
Ah, so true. Okay then. However, given all this fantastic opportunity, I hope your ability matches up.
Old 9 August 2011, 11:36
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon View Post
The largest Great Whites ever caught on rod and reel were hauled in off of the New England coast by Frank Mundus. He caught a very large Great White off of Cape Cod in the 1970's, and then in the 1980's caught the largest one in a hole east of Long Island and south of Rhode Island. Frank Mundus hailed from Long Island, and is the person that fellow Long Islander Peter Benchly is supposed to have based his character Sam Quint in Jaws.
LOL....Right after all this and that photo was published in the Daily News of the Great White pulling the fishing boat backwards, was when when my high school buddies and I pooled our monies and headed to Montauk NY to try our luck. Good times. The harbor seals have been seen as far south as Norwalk, Ct.
Old 9 August 2011, 12:37
Confirmed User

Quote:
The harbor seals have been seen as far south as Norwalk, Ct.
In the mid 1990's I saw my first harbor seal when I was fishing for schoolie stripers in April. I was on a beach near the mouth of the CT River, and it was a dark, cloudy, rainy day. Every few minutes I kept hearing this little snort, and couldn't figure out what it was or where it was coming from. After about 45 minutes I felt like I was being looked at, and thought that it was someone walking on the beach. Then I finally saw the seal's head, looking at me from about 30 yards out, and I realized that the snort sound was when it breached and got air. Now the harbor seals are everywhere.

Quote:
...pooled our monies and headed to Montauk NY to try our luck
Mundus was a real character. He was featured in a 2005 Shark Week program on the Discovery Channel. I had a friend who was a mate on charterboat shark trips, and he told me that the best fighting shark is without doubt the mako. He had a 300 pound hooked mako go from 150 feet depth straight up and jump, "as high as a telephone pole."
Old 9 August 2011, 12:46
Drawing my cutlass

Makes sense since Makos are in the same gene pool...

....as Great Whites and probably use some of the same techniques for sneaking up on tuna, marlin and sailfish as the Whites use on fur seals. I believe that Isurus glaucus can reach speeds of 50 knots which is pretty fucking astonishing if you think about it.

Here's a couple of pictures of the beasties:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon View Post
In the mid 1990's I saw my first harbor seal when I was fishing for schoolie stripers in April. I was on a beach near the mouth of the CT River, and it was a dark, cloudy, rainy day. Every few minutes I kept hearing this little snort, and couldn't figure out what it was or where it was coming from. After about 45 minutes I felt like I was being looked at, and thought that it was someone walking on the beach. Then I finally saw the seal's head, looking at me from about 30 yards out, and I realized that the snort sound was when it breached and got air. Now the harbor seals are everywhere.

Mundus was a real character. He was featured in a 2005 Shark Week program on the Discovery Channel. I had a friend who was a mate on charterboat shark trips, and he told me that the best fighting shark is without doubt the mako. He had a 300 pound hooked mako go from 150 feet depth straight up and jump, "as high as a telephone pole."
Old 9 August 2011, 14:16
Confirmed User

We caught a few Mako's. They'll jump right into the boat if your not careful. We hooked into one at 10pm one night, fishing for Swordfish with a florescent green ike-light in a squid.

Spookiest thing was seeing that green glow moving rapidly straight up towards the boat form 40 feet down and seeing half of this BIG Mako illuminated. It started jumping close to the boat and the Captain didn't like the idea of wrestling one of those at night. We think the first mate cut the line on his orders. We of course being young and dumb were pretty pissed we didn't get to land it, but our Captain was one of those Lt. Dan characters...had both legs blown off below the knees in Vietnam....so we didn't think of questioning his judgement.

There were a few other 'interesting' things that happened that trip.

Shark Hunter II !!

What this has to do with mountain lions I don't know.....

Last edited by 19MIKE; 9 August 2011 at 14:22. Reason: what this has to do with Mnt Lions I don't know....
Old 9 August 2011, 14:28
Drawing my cutlass

^^^^probably nothing to do with mountain lions but they will both fuck up your day if you aren't paying attention.
Closed Thread

Our new posting rules