SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 11 April 2016, 19:44
The atomic zit

Sleep Study...

ALCON,

Who has done a sleep study?

I have one scheduled for the end of April.

I passed out a while back and the ER doc ruled out heart attack and seizure.

My new to me cardiologist put me on a heart monitor for a month. And since my heart stopped for three seconds one morning, when I was sleeping, he thinks I could have apnea. Thus, the sleep study.

According my cardiologist, I am not the typical candidate for apnea.

Me: 6’4” 170#… Thus my handle!!!

Relevant comments are greatly appreciated.

S
Old 11 April 2016, 19:59
Calix Meus Inebrians

I did the home sleep study a month ago. Much different than if you are doing it at a medical facility. They sent me some contraption to strap to my chest, tubes to run up my nose, and a finger monitor. It was annoying as fuck, but apparently it worked since the doctor found that I have sleep apnea from it.
Old 11 April 2016, 20:03
Confirmed User

I did one years back at a medical facility. Not gonna lie- it sucked. Trying to sleep with a zillion wires hooked all over your body, plus 5 different cameras watching you,,,not fun. It took me hours to finally fall asleep. My recommendation is see if they are ok with you taking a sleeping pill.

That being said, I was diagnosed with apnea and put on a cpap, and life is wayyyyy better now.

-SOTB
Old 11 April 2016, 20:04
Been There Done That

Yes. If you have it, the sleep study alone will make you feel rejuvenated. When I went in for mine, I had been falling asleep at stop lights and at my desk on a regular basis, no matter how much sleep I "got."

With just a couple hours under pressure, my life changed that day. I felt like myself again. Getting used to the fucking machine and snorkel is a major pain in the ass and most fail. I was able to overcome it through sheer determination. Was a stomach sleeper and it forced me to switch to my back. That sucked. I now use nasal pillows instead of a full mask. Much more comfortable and it allows me to sleep on my side.

Good luck. I hope you don't have it, but that's better than many of the alternatives consider it is heart related.
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when I’m attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 11 April 2016, 20:11
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachranerd View Post
I did one years back at a medical facility. Not gonna lie- it sucked. Trying to sleep with a zillion wires hooked all over your body, plus 5 different cameras watching you,,,not fun. It took me hours to finally fall asleep. My recommendation is see if they are ok with you taking a sleeping pill.

That being said, I was diagnosed with apnea and put on a cpap, and life is wayyyyy better now.
Had the same test in Feb 2012 for sleep apnea, the test does suck. Tried the cpap for nearly two years but never could get used to it; always kept waking me up. Was recommended for it because of long intervals between breaths not for heart problems.

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere."
Old 11 April 2016, 20:32
Did...did I do that?

Because of the way Triwest scheduled mine, I actually had to have 2: one to diagnose, and one to set the machine. The latter was about 3 weeks ago, and I haven't heard from whoever is giving me the machine.

One trick the tech told me. They will offer three different masks: one full-face, and 2 different nose-only masks. You'll take the mask home after your test. She suggested I use the full-face mask for the test, then ask for one of the nasal masks (the one with the nostril "pillows) when I get the equipment, especially if I'm at all claustrophobic (I'm not). The nasal mask works fine, unless you get sick and have sinus congestion, which would keep you from breathing through your nose, negating the nasal mask. This way, you get 2 masks for free.
Old 11 April 2016, 22:59
Confirmed User

There is a lot being done in that area. Once you have the study and a diagnosis it's worth dong some research . If you gave Central Apnea these is an implant now you can get as well as a dental piece that keeps your air way open. Type, severity etc play role and if diagnosed you could avoid the CPAP. No hill for a climber good luck!
Old 12 April 2016, 00:11
Confirmed User

Simiar story.
Got a CPAP, but it was like having te Alien on my face.
Never used it.
I went in years later and they had somehow missed this.
They got excited and I got another test.
They said my oxyge and other stuff went near critical and that if I do't use it I will die n my sleep.
There is a lot of newreearch on apnea and it is much more complicaed and dangerous than they thought.
Anyway, I got anther machine.
I have forced myself to use it an I feelbetter-a lot better.
Sleep test sucks, but is not painlful.
Old ladies and little girls can take it...

De Opresso Liber
Old 12 April 2016, 01:53
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotSig? View Post
There is a lot being done in that area. Once you have the study and a diagnosis it's worth dong some research . If you gave Central Apnea these is an implant now you can get as well as a dental piece that keeps your air way open. Type, severity etc play role and if diagnosed you could avoid the CPAP. No hill for a climber good luck!
I've been looking into getting a dental device recently. With CPAP, it does take some time and frustration getting used to having this contraption wrapped around your head while you sleep. Since I am a side sleeper- I have to do pillow tetris to be able to keep the mask on overnight.

The other problem with CPAP is, you have to have a power source for it. An even beefier one if you decide to use the humidifier option(I disabled it on mine). So, if you want to go camping, sleep outdoors, or just have a power outage, you have to have a power source with you. I carry the cpap and a duracell power pack when I go camping, etc- that's a good 30 pounds total, plus your other gear.

So if you can get a simple dental device that does the trick- by all means do it. Otherwise, go with the CPAP. Once you get used to it, it is like night and day.

-SOTB
Old 12 April 2016, 03:50
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
ALCON,

Who has done a sleep study?

I have one scheduled for the end of April.

I passed out a while back and the ER doc ruled out heart attack and seizure.

My new to me cardiologist put me on a heart monitor for a month. And since my heart stopped for three seconds one morning, when I was sleeping, he thinks I could have apnea. Thus, the sleep study.

According my cardiologist, I am not the typical candidate for apnea.

Me: 6’4” 170#… Thus my handle!!!

Relevant comments are greatly appreciated.

S
I was 6'1" and 185 lbs when I got diagnosed. DO NOT let them talk you into surgery. You will be sucking food down the wrong pipe for ever after.

I went to the doctor for insomnia 20 years ago, all they wanted was to stick that damn machine on my face, no money in insomnia, apparently lots of money to be made off of CPAP machines. Been barely holding onto my job because of this BS. Can't sleep with damn thing strapped to my face, can't work if I don't. F*ckers. What ever they tell you don't tell anyone else unless you absolutely have to.

Anyway, check out this board. http://www.apneaboard.com/

Lots of useful info.

Oh, and when you do the sleep study.... the folks who run the study are techs, not doctors, and you are the customer. I've done a dozen sleep studies or so, the techs tend to forget that point from time to time.

Last edited by Ferryman; 12 April 2016 at 04:04.
Old 12 April 2016, 07:41
Confirmed User

The study itself is benign, just make sure you're tired when you go to it.

Like Fubar stated, if you have it and if you tend to fall asleep at weird times (at your desk in the middle of the afternoon, driving on I75, etc.) the CPAP will make you feel like a whole different person. Took about three days and I no longer felt like I needed a nap, or fell asleep at my desk or fought to stay awake in meetings.

Last edited by RemTech; 12 April 2016 at 07:42. Reason: grammar
Old 12 April 2016, 07:45
Shakin' the bush Boss

I had my study done at the VA. I messed up and told them I had trouble sleeping due to back pain, so in VA diagnosis that is either PTSD or sleep apnea, even though I assured them I had neither. Had to go in for the study. Not too bad, go get hooked up, sleep, get results. Not fun, but not a total pain in the ass either.
Old 12 April 2016, 08:09
Old Scroll

Don't take sleeping pills prior to the test. Just be sure you're really tired.

The classic symptom is falling asleep at stop lights, and feeling like you've got narcolepsy all the time.

I've been on a cpap for six years now. I hate it, but it's my (2nd) best friend.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 12 April 2016, 08:10
Confirmed User

I had one and was prescribed a CPAP machine. I lost weight and no longer need the machine.

Funny story: the sleep tech had was a cute younger woman and told me to call out when I wake up so she can unhook the leads. Well I forgot and swung my feet to the side of the bed to get up. She stopped and came in to disconnect me. Seeing as I was sitting on the side of the bed she had to squat/kneel to get the leads on my lower legs. She disconnected me and looked up to inform and since it was first thing in the morning she looked up to see a pup tent in my sleeping shorts. I have never seen that color of red in anyone's face again.
Old 12 April 2016, 08:27
Administrator

First I went to my Doctor. They gave me the home sleep test machine. Then they referred me to a sleep center, where I spent the night hooked up to all the wires and such. Wasn't bad.

So, I have been on a CPAP for about 4 years now and it has definitely improved my life. I used to wake up in the mornings and feel like I didnt even sleep. I was sleeping, but not resting if that makes sense.

I tried about every mask out there from full face to the nasal pillow with the mouthpiece. The one I finally found that I can live with is the Swift FX Nano. Just a small cup that fits over the nose. Seems like everyone likes something different though, so you will probably need to try several different types before you find one you can tolerate.

As for the dental pieces, I checked into that and they want several thousand dollars for what is essentially a custom fitted mouthpiece. There was no way I was spending that much money on a mouthpiece, so stuck with the CPAP.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 12 April 2016, 08:31
Right-handed bear.

HH6 is a registered Polysomnographer/ "Sleep Tech". I've gleaned a little over the years. They will allow you to take a sleep med such as Ambien. The idea is to put you in REM so your oxygen intake can be monitored in deep sleep, as well as nighttime arousals (restless leg, etc.)

From what HH6 says, most people prefer either the half mask or smaller nasal CPAP device. They are more comfortable and less intrusive.

You can expect to have leads and wires hooked up to your scalp, chest, and torso in order to monitor brain wave, heart, and respiratory activity. This will give the doc a really good picture of what your body is doing (or not doing) in deep sleep.

The labs she has worked in were similar to a hotel type room. Legit beds etc. They make you as comfortable as they can to induce deep sleep.

She has told me countless stories of patients whose quality of life literally changed overnight just from CPAP alone. If you get a good Tech and a good Doc, you should be good to go. While you are sleeping, the Tech is in the next room literally watching you sleep and making notations every few minutes of all of your body activity.

This is just what I've gleaned over the years. I actually went one night and watched her work for a little while. It's a very technical diagnostic process.

If you have any more direct questions, PM me and I'll run them by HH6.
Old 12 April 2016, 10:48
Confirmed User

I think this is more oriented for Central as opposed to Obstructive Apnea. But these guys are doing good work.

http://academicdepartments.musc.edu/...l#.Vw0J-P72aUk
Old 12 April 2016, 11:24

Just going to put this out there...all the information about the CPAP/Apnea is great but I am having a little trouble putting together sleep apnea correlating with heart pauses. Typically I see nocturnal apnea episodes correlating with fast/tachy heart rates, think as if your oxygen was suddenly cut off the natural response is a faster heart rate. The only caveat would be if your apneas were minutes in duration. To me a 3 second pause while sleeping is not too worrisome. What was your average pulse while sleeping? If it was below 40 then an occasional pause is acceptable. Again just an observation.
Old 12 April 2016, 12:26
Confirmed User

Just did my sleep study up in Landstuhl a few weeks ago - AHI of 64, so getting my CPAP soon. I feel like garbage pretty much every day, so I'm hoping this will be an answer. Between not sleeping and chronic pain, it kind of blows - but otherwise I'm in great health. Haha.
Old 12 April 2016, 12:51
Calculating Infinity...

A few years ago, my gf told me that I stopped breathing in my sleep. I called BS and told her that it's just my snoring. When I started to gain weight, and my BP started to rise, I began looking into sleep apnea. Long story, short... I went in for the sleep study and was diagnosed with "severe" sleep apnea, I was averaging 53 apnic events/hour. This meant that a dental device was out of the question, as those are for people w/ "moderate" sleep apnea. I went in for the second study, where they determine the correct pressure and mask for you and I chose the nasal pillows, as they seemed the least intrusive. Fast FWD to today, and I do everything possible to make sure that I have that machine with me when it's time to go to bed.. this includes packing it up and taking it to the Fire House every time I go to work. I got so used to feeling fatigued and lethargic throughout the day that I had forgotten what it felt like to get a good night's sleep. I'm not sure about the heart pause, but if you have sleep apnea, getting treatment for it will improve your quality of life, dramatically.

Our new posting rules