SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 9 February 2019, 09:33
Isiah 52:13-53:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
I had that in 2009. I think they called it Rhinoplasty? Life changer.

Broke my nose a few times and at the time left nostril was 95% blocked and right nostril was 65% blocked. Sucked for a week with all the packing in my nose, but once he removed it....holy shit. The down side was that I waited so long to have it done.
Concur 100%. Had it as well life changer

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

“A little science estranges one from God. A lot of science brings one back.” -Francis Bacon
Old 6 March 2019, 07:30
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
I had that in 2009. I think they called it Rhinoplasty? Life changer.

Broke my nose a few times and at the time left nostril was 95% blocked and right nostril was 65% blocked. Sucked for a week with all the packing in my nose, but once he removed it....holy shit. The down side was that I waited so long to have it done.
Once again, SOCNET has the answers before any medical professionals I visit, do.

Diagnosed with "Deviated Septum", (fucked-up nostrils). Sitting in post-op as I write this, after Rhinoplasty Turbinate Reduction, I think it's called.

What really pisses me off? I've never had a nose injury, so I have effectively had this since birth. Now I understand why I fucking hated it when sports coaches, military and police instructors yelling at me to "breath through your nose" always pissed me off!

And it explains why the nose-mask thing for the CPAP didn't work for me, forcing me to a full face mask, which reduces the effectiveness of the CPAP machine dramatically. So hopefully I'll be able to breathe through my nose soon, and have a decent damn sleep!

On an interesting note - It was surprising how much of a big deal all the surgical nurses made of the fact that I had gotten to 45 yrs of age without ever having any surgery before.
Old 6 March 2019, 12:23
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofear View Post
What really pisses me off? I've never had a nose injury, so I have effectively had this since birth.
My doctor believed my initial injuries may have been related to being delivered with forceps.

-Stan

"An increasingly lonely man, Patton felt that his was the voice of truth in a wilderness of indifference." -Carlo D'Este
Old 6 March 2019, 16:00
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley_White View Post
My doctor believed my initial injuries may have been related to being delivered with forceps.

-Stan
You were plucked out by the nose?!

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 5 April 2019, 16:49
Confirmed User

After reading this thread, I went in for my sleep study. Mild apnea diagnosis, so I'll be exploring my treatment options.

For you youngish guys, I'm in my early thirties, 6'2/190lbs, with CrossFit type workouts multiple times a week. This isn't just a disorder for the obese and old, as I had always assumed.

If you're doing everything else right, and still waking up tired, go get checked.
Old 5 April 2019, 16:57
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrax View Post
After reading this thread, I went in for my sleep study. Mild apnea diagnosis, so I'll be exploring my treatment options.

For you youngish guys, I'm in my early thirties, 6'2/190lbs, with CrossFit type workouts multiple times a week. This isn't just a disorder for the obese and old, as I had always assumed.

If you're doing everything else right, and still waking up tired, go get checked.
Indeed.

I was 35 and six feet tall and 185 when diagnosed.

-Stan

"An increasingly lonely man, Patton felt that his was the voice of truth in a wilderness of indifference." -Carlo D'Este
Old 5 April 2019, 19:09
Life is simple, not easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrax View Post
This isn't just a disorder for the obese and old, as I had always assumed.

My best friend is a workout warrior, has >8% body fat at 48 years old, eats very well, and has always been active. He needs to take the same HP medication that I do. I know it isn't the same as Apnea but it supports your point that some conditions are hereditary, and not dependent on weight/diet/sedentary lifestyle.
Old 9 April 2019, 09:23
Authorized Personnel

I picked up a new CPAP machine after over a decade of giving it up. I'm on day 4 and I'm blown away at the clarity I now have. The weird fog has definitely been lifted.
Old 12 April 2019, 07:28
Ne Obliviscaris

Had a follow up appointment yesterday with my neurologist regarding my aneurysms. I mentioned that I snore heavily and my wife says I stop breathing in my sleep as well as waking up at times out of breath or with a rapid heartbeat. She agreed i needed a study done ASAP due to my condition and put "Urgent" on the request. But since I live in a socialized medicine country...I'll be lucky to have it scheduled in the next 6 months even with a neurosurgeons "Urgent" endorsement so I won't hold my breath.
Old 12 April 2019, 13:26
Confirmed User

Does anyone know somebody who has tried inspire therapy? I'm curious if this really works, as the CPAP thing is just torture for me.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/medical-p...y/mac-20431242
Old 16 April 2019, 07:44
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferryman View Post
Does anyone know somebody who has tried inspire therapy? I'm curious if this really works, as the CPAP thing is just torture for me.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/medical-p...y/mac-20431242
I've been hearing the commercials for it but haven't met anyone with it yet.

Have you tried different masks and machines? I might just be a matter of tuning it in?
Old 16 April 2019, 14:23
Confirmed User

I actually have a dental device that works pretty good, but the Coast Guard is making me use the CPAP. A couple of more years to retirement and I'm done with this shit.
Old 16 April 2019, 17:46
Another pool cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostile0311 View Post
Had a follow up appointment yesterday with my neurologist regarding my aneurysms. I mentioned that I snore heavily and my wife says I stop breathing in my sleep as well as waking up at times out of breath or with a rapid heartbeat. She agreed i needed a study done ASAP due to my condition and put "Urgent" on the request. But since I live in a socialized medicine country...I'll be lucky to have it scheduled in the next 6 months even with a neurosurgeons "Urgent" endorsement so I won't hold my breath.
I'm glad to see you post brother.

Sounds like sleep apnea. Hope things get sorted out quickly.
Old 17 April 2019, 01:43
The atomic zit

Hostile0311,

STOPGAP: Get your wife to tell you if don’t snore in certain sleep positions.

Mine said I never snored when I slept on my side. My sleep study said the same.

I was always one pissed off fucker when she kicked me and rolled onto my side in the of a dead sleep.

This is serious business.

V/R

S

Last edited by Stretch; 17 April 2019 at 01:55.
Old 7 May 2019, 10:19
Ne Obliviscaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
I'm glad to see you post brother.

Sounds like sleep apnea. Hope things get sorted out quickly.
Thanks. I hope so too. I did the take home study last Friday where they fit the computer and belts around your chest and abdomen with the canula as well the afternoon before and then return in the morning. We'll see how long it takes to get the results and a return visit/consultation. The technician in the clinic said 4-6 weeks usually. They did see me pretty quickly though. Don't know if it was because my neurology doc marked the appointment slip "Urgent" or not. We shall see.
Old 7 May 2019, 10:22
Ne Obliviscaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Hostile0311,

STOPGAP: Get your wife to tell you if don’t snore in certain sleep positions.

Mine said I never snored when I slept on my side. My sleep study said the same.

I was always one pissed off fucker when she kicked me and rolled onto my side in the of a dead sleep.

This is serious business.

V/R

S
My wife says I do not snore on my sides, only on my back. I hate sleeping on my side because then my nose stops up for some reason and I have to breath through my mouth.
Old 7 May 2019, 19:42
The atomic zit

When I fall asleep this evening watching hockey in “my chair”, I’ll be propped up enough that I won’t snore.

Antihistamines you can help with your nose draining and snottiness.
Old 8 May 2019, 14:45
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
When I fall asleep this evening watching hockey in “my chair”, I’ll be propped up enough that I won’t snore.

Antihistamines you can help with your nose draining and snottiness.
Had a discussion many years ago when I was pouring concrete and building homes in the mountains. We were concerned that we were making homes far too air tight. Fast forward to now, I am thinking about how many folks( not necessarily you guys) with sleep , sinus problems,etc. would benefit from having their duct work, furnaces, filters, cleaned to name a few simple maintenance procedures done. Quality of air in one's home is paramount for me!
Old 8 May 2019, 14:47
Authorized Personnel

I'm a month in now. Wife is a happy camper and I think I feel better. No issues with the mask, I'm used to it at this point.
Old 9 May 2019, 15:38

I just wanted to thank everyone who posted their experiences. Reading them was probably the thing that pushed me over the finish line and got me to finally go have my tests done.

A few months later and I feel much better. No snoring and quality sleep like I don't really remember since before I enlisted. My job has crazy hours ( on call 24/7/365) so having some quality sleep means the world to me. Thanks again for the kick in the ass. Now maybe next year I'll get my nose fixed so I can use it as God intended.

Our new posting rules