SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 12 April 2016, 12:58
Been There Done That

Had one in 2001. The wife got tired of my quit breathing in the middle of the night. Felt better the first couple years on a CPAP.

William Tecumseh Sherman-
I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast.
Old 12 April 2016, 13:01
Darwin Award Presenter

Lots of good advice here, and I agree with most of it. Every patient I have spoken with OSA (obstructive sleep apnea) says their lifestyle was greatly improved after using CPAP. However, It is sometimes difficult to get used to, but the reasons to do so are many. I will post the link to an extensive article on OSA below. Some highlights and food for thought;

1) Arterial oxygen desaturation causes sleep disruption (no REM or restful sleep) and upon resumption of breathing (otherwise known as the BIG SUCK when you wake up panicked) causes marked transient increases in arterial pressure and BP elevation (think stroke).

2) The brain is exquisitely sensitive to changes in arterial oxygen levels, this results in increases in blood flow then an abrupt decrease in post apneic hyperventilation (again think stroke). This also holds true for the early morning catecholamine surge (helps you become awake) which has been associated with the increased incidence of MI (heart attack)at early morning hours.

3) Cardiac arrhythmias (irregular heart beats)and myocardial hypoxemia (low oxygen to the heart muscle) has been noted. Premature ventricular contractions( those flip flop beats) atrial fibrillation, atrial flutter (irregular upper chamber contractions that can shoot clots all over)occurs in 50% of patients with severe OSA, and in one study ALL of these symptoms were abolished after treatment.

Sorry for the length, I tried to provide a cliff note version of the study, link provided below.

Medic

http://physrev.physiology.org/content/90/1/47#sec-46
Old 12 April 2016, 14:16
Life is simple, not easy.

I took my test (second of two) last Wednesday. This was with the mask/machine. I had no problem falling asleep for either test. See the doctor in a week or so for ordering the machine. I have waiting too long since I've known for awhile I have apnea just on feedback from the wife.
Old 12 April 2016, 14:34
Darwin Award Presenter

Yes, our significant others usually diagnose this condition easily, as they lay beside us and count, 1,2,3,4,5....... how many seconds will it take for him to begin taking that huge breath?
Old 12 April 2016, 14:46

Great information

57medic, I completely agree with your points...especially #3. This only furthers my concern that most arrhythmias associated with sleep disordered breathing are tachycardic. Evaluation for pauses or bradycardic rhythms is very uncharacteristic for sleep disordered breathing. I would be more concerned about conduction abnormalities in the setting of syncope.
Old 12 April 2016, 14:50
Clorox bearer for SOTB

I had one after the wife complained to the doc of my holding my breath at night and letting the air escape slowly. I do this unconsciously, but sometimes I wake in the middle ot it. Long story short, we determined it was the pain meds I was on. The sleep study was in the hospital. They hook you up to a lot of wires, which make it uncomfortable, as I sleep and turn from side to side. I can't sleep on my back, or stomach as this stresses the lower back too much. I did sleep, and the study came back negative for apnea, so I was GTG. It really is no big deal, just a night of being in a strange bed, hooked up with a cable of wires, to all sorts of locations around your body. Good luck, GROG

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Old 12 April 2016, 15:03
Did...did I do that?

Did any diabetics see any significant changes to fasting sugars after CPAP? I'm hoping that one of the causes of my consistently high fasting readings is the residue from the response to apnea events.
Old 12 April 2016, 15:17
Good Medicine, Bad Places

My wife had two different versions done about 3 years ago when we found that she was awake at night and sleeping during the afternoon. They were done at our local hospital. The first was a NPSG, the standard try to sleep through the night, and that found nothing. Because of inconclusive results, the doc wanted her to do a MSLT. From those results, they diagnosed her with Idiopathic Hypersomnia. They prescribed Modafinil 150mg for mornings and Melatonin 3mg at night. After a few weeks, she was back to normal.
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did.
Old 12 April 2016, 15:47
Calix Meus Inebrians

I was prescribed a CPAP by the neurologist after he read the results of the sleep study. I tried it for a night and said "fuck that." Between the mask, and having air forced in my nose, I all but flipped out the three times I tried to go to sleep. I managed to get a refund on the machine minus the shipping I paid both ways, and the mask. Called it a moderately expensive lesson learned.

I have an appointment with my GP tomorrow, and I'm going to ask him if I can try these for a bit and hope for the best.
http://www.proventtherapy.com/
Old 12 April 2016, 16:40
Been There Done That

In 2012 I took the Sleep Study. I woke up over 200 times during the night. My O2 levels were way off too. My wife used to have to punch me to make me breathe during the night. I also had severe heartburn every night. Had to take Zantac twice a day. After I got my CPAP machine it took a little while to get used to it but right away I stopped snoring and i was breathing normally. I have the machine set at a pressure of 15 and it has a moisture setting of 5%. I feel pretty good each night, I only wake now to go take a leak. I only wish I started using it 5 years earlier.

The best part of this is Uncle bought the machine with my Co-Payments. I just had the machine replaced as the original one would not turn on correctly. No charge for the replacement.

If you have problem sleeping take the Sleep Study. It's worth it.
Old 12 April 2016, 16:56
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopp700 View Post
I only wake now to go take a leak.
This. Pretty much every night, right between 0200 and 0300...
Old 12 April 2016, 17:07
Old Scroll

I'm just happy it's only once a night... my dad (83) is up twice a night.

My machine is at 4.5 pounds (yeah, I'm a softie, but it doesn't take much pressure to keep me going) and I've been using the Swift FX for six years, switched today to the Swift FX Nano, just to check it out.

Hell... I've got two years of Swift FX nasal pillows saved up; I could switch back and forth.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 12 April 2016, 18:11
Life is simple, not easy.

I'm really glad this thread got started right at the time I'm going through the process. Mask full didn't bother me that much but I'm going to research the Swift FX Nano. My test came back at 45 events and low O2, with zero dreams.
Old 12 April 2016, 20:06
The atomic zit

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
I'm really glad this thread got started right at the time I'm going through the process. Mask full didn't bother me that much but I'm going to research the Swift FX Nano. My test came back at 45 events and low O2, with zero dreams.
Good news!!!

I was looking for general information and you found more...
Old 12 April 2016, 20:37
Old Scroll

SOCnet definitely delivers

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 12 April 2016, 21:03
The atomic zit

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
SOCnet definitely delivers
And this is about the time my clicker donates...
Old 12 April 2016, 21:04
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
With just a couple hours under pressure, my life changed that day. I felt like myself again. Getting used to the fucking machine and snorkel is a major pain in the ass and most fail. I was able to overcome it through sheer determination. Was a stomach sleeper and it forced me to switch to my back. That sucked. I now use nasal pillows instead of a full mask. Much more comfortable and it allows me to sleep on my side.
Fubar nailed it. I've had the same experience as he did and for the last 7 years lived with it. I hated it at first, now even when I take a nap I put it on. It has changed everything and since I started, a lot of other health issues have abated.

I too, have changed from the full mask to the nasal pillows. It is a learning curve, but it works and will save your life.
fkl
Old 12 April 2016, 21:11
Nexus Schemer

I had the sleep study done and after attempting the CPAP for several months and adjustments I couldn't tolerate it. After several consults and two more sleep studies the docs recommended the somnioplasty. At the time of surgery they removed adnoids tonsils and clipped and pinned my uvula to the roof of my mouth. Compete rotor rooter.

Now. I ever never been shot or shot at in anger but I have been cut with a chainsaw, Acl and mcl replacement along with 150ish stitches and broken bones. Nothing sucked as bad as this procedure. The recovery was long and drawn out. Had it not been for liquid codine induced sleep I probably would have lost my mind.

The docs warned me that this would suck. Sadly I didn't take them at their word. I lost almost 12 pounds in the first two weeks. It took a long time but now I sleep better.

If I keep my weight below 230 I don't seem to snore nor does the wife complain. I do noticed on most all things the procedure doesn't bother me. You'll have to teach yourself how to gargle again. And if you scuba dive you'll have to learn how to deal with water in the back of your mouth. But nothing too crazy

I don't think I'd do it over again. And I always tell people the recovery from the surgery was the worst kick in the nuts you can imagine. However it does have some up sides

They had my CPAP machine turned up so much I had to have a neoprene chin strap to keep my mouth closed. Itnblew my sinuses dry even with a humidifier attachment. I just couldn't get used to it.

I'd say if you can't do the CPAP. Then try again. And again the surgery is not for the week at heart
Old 12 April 2016, 22:01
The atomic zit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
And this is about the time my clicker donates...
donation complete, so says PayPal.
Old 12 April 2016, 23:22
Confirmed User

I have major sleep issues due to my kidney failure. I've tried everything like Xanax, prescribed sleeping pills, etc. I hated the pill program. Now I'm doing Dr. Andrew Weil's breathing techniques. Out like a baby all night long.
http://youtu.be/gz4G31LGyog

Our new posting rules