SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 13 April 2016, 08:06
Confirmed User

I was falling asleep at stoplights and in heavy, slow moving traffic before using my CPAP. It stopped the day after I started using it. Once I got used to the mask I feel asleep quicker and slept restfully all night.
Old 13 April 2016, 08:33
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post
Did any diabetics see any significant changes to fasting sugars after CPAP? I'm hoping that one of the causes of my consistently high fasting readings is the residue from the response to apnea events.
You should take this complaint to your Practitioner. If you're Insulin dependent, there are several phenomenon/effects that can be sources & your complaint correlates.
Old 13 April 2016, 10:16
Did...did I do that?

I'm seeing an endocrinologist in OKC in addition to my PCP here. She's thinking the same thing, actually. Just wanted some real-world experience while I wait for the CPAP. I'd really like to wear a CGM for a couple of nights, but those are rarely approved by the VA.

Just started Victoza, which is helping my mid-day readings. But there's still about a 40-point spike in the morning.
Old 13 April 2016, 12:35
Darwin Award Presenter

Quote:
My test came back at 45 events and low O2, with zero dreams
This is why you wake up completely exhausted, because dream sleep is the realm of REM (rapid eye movement) sleep, which provides the restful component.

And Bob Mueller, this is an interesting concept. I am going to do a literature search and let you know if there is any basis for this.
Old 13 April 2016, 12:38
Darwin Award Presenter

Well, Google-Fu comes through yet again, that didn't take long at all. I will post the link in the next post, but here is a teaser.

The Link Between OSA and Type 2 Diabetes
OSA is associated with impaired fasting glucose, glucose intolerance, and type 2 diabetes, even after accounting age, sex, waist circumference, and obesity. 9,12 A recent comprehensive literature review, comprised of 83 studies, found that among all of the sleep disorders, OSA has the strongest association with type 2 diabetes. It is possible that the relationship goes in both directions. Poor sleep quality and intermittent hypoxemia from OSA may serve as the catalyst for glucose dysregulation. Over time these abnormalities may accelerate weight gain, which increases the severity of OSA. (References: 12)

The Sleep AHEAD study we conducted found that 86% of obese patients with type diabetes had undiagnosed OSA; 33.4% had mild OSA, 30.5% had moderate, and 22% had severe.8 For type 2 diabetes patients who have untreated OSA, a recent study showed a clear relationship between the severity of OSA and glucose control. Compared to those without OSA, the adjusted mean HbA1c was 1.5% higher in those with mild OSA, 1.9% higher in those with moderate OSA, and 3.69% higher in severe OSA patients. (References: 13) These two studies suggest that many patients with type 2 diabetes have undiagnosed OSA and that, if untreated, OSA has adverse effects on glycemic control.

Read more: http://www.diabetescare.net/article/...#ixzz45j1zkF53

Last edited by 57Medic; 13 April 2016 at 12:39. Reason: spelling, duh
Old 13 April 2016, 17:08
Did...did I do that?

This gives me hope then. Original AHI was 59.6. At 13.0 cm H20, they got AHI down to 0.6. Looking forward to getting my system.
Old 14 April 2016, 14:21
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saw7616 View Post
I had the sleep study done and after attempting the CPAP for several months and adjustments I couldn't tolerate it. After several consults and two more sleep studies the docs recommended the somnioplasty. At the time of surgery they removed adnoids tonsils and clipped and pinned my uvula to the roof of my mouth. Compete rotor rooter.

The docs warned me that this would suck. Sadly I didn't take them at their word. I lost almost 12 pounds in the first two weeks. It took a long time but now I sleep better.
Glad this worked for you. they cut me up the same way almost 20 years ago, didn't change a thing, except now I have to be careful when I eat or drink anything, stuff going down the wrong pipe is a constant issue for me.

I really wish I had never agreed to that surgery.
Old 14 April 2016, 21:13
The atomic zit

heartmedic said, "but I am having a little trouble putting together sleep apnea correlating with heart pauses"

Me too, but if I was being super fucking hard headed, I would have not taken that ride to the ER that morning and never seen a heart Doc.

When I came to, I told everyone to GTFA from me. When the EMT arrived, and asked it I needed help getting off the floor, I said no thank you, in my mind, "GTFA". Same when they offered to roll me out... I walked out!

The entire experience has been very sobering.

So, when my heart Doc said, "I recommend a sleep study...", I said, "OK".

I think he is still in elimination mode.

Based on other comments he made, and I believe what he said was, "This could be a heart conductive issue and worst case scenario is a permanent pace maker."

Pop has a sympathetic flapper in the ventricle. His Mother, my Grandmother, had a stint installed in the 80's and had it "maintained" every 5-7 years.

All that said...

I greatly appreciate all of the feed back.

The typical symptoms of falling asleep in place are not mine. Brother and FIL did that until the CPAP arrived.

I do snore, and I am back sleeper. The only reason I will not be flip flopping around for the study is because, Mrs. Stretch will not be will kicking me and saying, "roll over". I get a "roll the fuck over" if do not comply.

The study will be on the last Friday of this month at the last available time. I am currently worn the fuck out, maybe work or maybe this apnea thing. I want this shit fixed.

Last edited by Stretch; 14 April 2016 at 21:18. Reason: quoting posts is off.
Old 15 April 2016, 01:28
Confirmed User

I had my first night with the machine last night. I woke myself up a few times when I rolled over on to the tube, but beyond that - I got a solid 3 hours of sleep between 2300 and 0400, so I'm calling that a victory for now. I'm going to clean up my bedroom a bit, make an effort to get to bed an hour earlier and set my alarm a half-hour later tonight, and see how it goes. I definitely feel a lot better than normal this morning.
Old 15 April 2016, 17:04
Confirmed User

Stretch,
It sucks diagnosing someone over the internet.

There are two kinds of Sleep Apnea, Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) and Central Sleep Apnea.
Typically overweight people have OSA, but is it possible to be thin and have OSA, your soft palate could be abnormally soft or large and cause an obstruction, or it is possible to have Central Sleep Apnea.
OSA: your brain says breathe but your loose tissues in your mouth/throat obstruct the airflow.
Central: your brain forgets to tell your diaphragm to breathe.
Pardon the extremely rudimentary explanations.

Now, that being said, The first thing I would think when someone passes out after checking labs and clearing the heart (did they do EP studies? checks conduction pathways) would be to check the carotid arteries. I don't know if you have that done. I don't know your history and cannot do a physical over the internet etc.

Anyway do the sleep study, cardiologists are sharp guys.
They will wire you up to some shit and hopefully you will get some sleep.
I used to be a respiratory therapist, and I would set up people on their CPAP machines, there are many types of masks/set-ups so if one is not comfortable for you, tell them, they will make you comfortable. When I would check on them the next day they would rave about what a great nights sleep they got.

In closing untreated, sleep apnea causes all sorts of nasty shit, so if needed wear your CPAP, although my initial gut thinks that's not it.
Old 16 April 2016, 02:23
The atomic zit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crna View Post
Stretch,
It sucks diagnosing someone over the internet.

Your call not mine.

There are two kinds of Sleep Apnea, Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) and Central Sleep Apnea.
Typically overweight people have OSA, but is it possible to be thin and have OSA, your soft palate could be abnormally soft or large and cause an obstruction, or it is possible to have Central Sleep Apnea.
OSA: your brain says breathe but your loose tissues in your mouth/throat obstruct the airflow.
Central: your brain forgets to tell your diaphragm to breathe.
Pardon the extremely rudimentary explanations.

Now, that being said, The first thing I would think when someone passes out after checking labs and clearing the heart (did they do EP studies? checks conduction pathways) Please describe in detail.would be to check the carotid arteries. I don't know if you have that done. I don't know your history and cannot do a physical over the internet etc.

Anyway do the sleep study, cardiologists are sharp guys.
They will wire you up to some shit and hopefully you will get some sleep.
I used to be a respiratory therapist, and I would set up people on their CPAP machines, there are many types of masks/set-ups so if one is not comfortable for you, tell them, they will make you comfortable. When I would check on them the next day they would rave about what a great nights sleep they got.

In closing untreated, sleep apnea causes all sorts of nasty shit, so if needed wear your CPAP, although my initial gut thinks that's not it.I will be surprised if it is... like I mentioned, I think the Doc is still eliminating...
I will keep this in mind.

Thanks!

S
Old 17 April 2016, 00:30
Confirmed User

EP Studies
http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Condit...p#.VxMPp5VRGM8
Old 17 April 2016, 10:34
The atomic zit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crna View Post
No, I have not had an EP study. That is probably the next step. He mentioned, it could be a "conductive" heart issue.

Thanks the link, brief and concise.

S
Old 18 April 2016, 02:28
Confirmed User

Wow - This was my first full weekend with the CPAP - I slept for 7 hours on Saturday night, and 5 hours last night. I feel AMAZING.
Old 18 April 2016, 11:56
Confirmed User

Wait till it brings the morning wood> You will really feel great!!
Old 18 April 2016, 13:28
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

All this stuff has got me wondering......

I don't have any problem sleeping. But man do I snore. I mean LOUD. You know that stuff where you wake up just in time to catch the tail end of a snore before you stop because of course you are now awake? Done that a couple times. Holy CRAP. Foghorn shit.

That said, the wife says sometimes I snore and sometimes I don't. Side sleeper. Used to do stomach when younger/skinnier. Never sleep on my back unless I nod off that way, and even then I will switch to side.

I've never really been able to breath effectively through my nose, unless I start running/working out, then the passages open up. The rest of the time, I'm a mouth breather. Yeah, I know, laugh it up.....

A gym teacher years ago, old school Royal Navy fitness instructor, one of these guys who's a muscular energizer bunny in his late 60's (think Jack Lalanne) told me I should have had my adenoids removed. Talked with the RN wife about that, she had sinus issues and had the rotor rooter done but when they did it on her father they nicked an artery and he basically drowned in his own blood while in the recovery room. Brain dead. She'd like to keep me around a bit longer and so she's kind of nervous about me doing that, as I must say I am. Not a big fan of surgeons in general.

Like I say, I don't have any problem sleeping. Nor has the wife noticed me stop breathing a la sleep apnea. Just snoring to wake the dead.

55 yrs 6' 2" 275 or so. Even if I lost only BF I'd still be the 230-235 I was most of my 30's up to my mid 40's when it started to "inch" upwards.....

Thoughts? Internet diagnosis? TIA.

"Let us return to old times and that will be progress." - Verdi
Old 28 April 2016, 19:48
The atomic zit

So...

The neurologist called me this afternoon and said that my sleep study had not been approved by the insurance company.

I politely said f*** that s*** who should I call and what should I do.

I called Insurance company and without the temper tantrum and cussing I'd ramped up to do, the insurance company approved that study.

Apparently my insurance company denies most sleep studies, as do others. More often than not...

Not naming names, and Charlie India Golf November Alpha and Uniform Helo Charlie

ps: study was and still is scheduled for tomorrow night. And I received this information today.
Old 28 April 2016, 22:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
ALCON,

Who has done a sleep study?

I have one scheduled for the end of April.

I passed out a while back and the ER doc ruled out heart attack and seizure.

My new to me cardiologist put me on a heart monitor for a month. And since my heart stopped for three seconds one morning, when I was sleeping, he thinks I could have apnea. Thus, the sleep study.

According my cardiologist, I am not the typical candidate for apnea.

Me: 64 170# Thus my handle!!!

Relevant comments are greatly appreciated.

S
I have had two sleep studies completed by hospital. Both times diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. I have a CPAP machine I am suppose to use to sleep. The sleep study was overnight, placed wires to my chest and head. Wasn't to bad, just a little uncomfortable. What exactly would you like to know?
Old 28 April 2016, 22:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian2 View Post
I have had two sleep studies completed by hospital. Both times diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. I have a CPAP machine I am suppose to use to sleep. The sleep study was overnight, placed wires to my chest and head. Wasn't to bad, just a little uncomfortable. What exactly would you like to know?
Stretch, I'm only 5'9 175. My wife and I have noticed when I place another skinnier pillow under my regular one to arch my head, I don't usually snore and I don't stop breathing as much.
Old 30 April 2016, 13:08
The atomic zit

Yesterday, my insurance company chanced their tune... DENIED

I did the sleep study, on my own dime, last night.

All-in-all not bad...

If my Docs find something they could have not with last night's test, UHC and I WILL have a problem!

Our new posting rules