SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 30 April 2016, 20:16
Darwin Award Presenter

Glad to hear you had the study. Sucks about the insurance company being dicks, but not surprising.
Hope you get this sorted out. That alone may help the sleeping.
Old 7 May 2016, 12:27
Life is simple, not easy.

Picked up my CPAP yesterday. Along with that came results of the 1st and 2nd sleep study.

1st Study w/o CPAP
4.2% Stage 1 sleep
67.4% Stage 2 sleep
0.0% Stage 3 sleep
28.5% Stage 4 REM sleep
(26 obstructive apneas, 3 central apneas, 4 mixed apneas, 69 hypoapneas, @ 18.2 events per hour of sleep. Lowest oxygen saturation @ 78%)

2nd study w/CPAP
Stage 1 -4 were pretty much the same, with 0.0% Stage 3. But lowest oxygen saturation was 92%. Events down to 1.9 per hour.

Neither test showed any significant cardiac arrhythmia.

I am told it is just a matter of using the machine every night to notice the changes. My CPAP pressure is set to 9 cm/H20.

Time to get some rest, lose 20 lbs, stop smoking, and get some energy back after 20+ years of putting this off.
Old 7 May 2016, 12:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Yesterday, my insurance company chanced their tune... DENIED

I did the sleep study, on my own dime, last night.

All-in-all not bad...

If my Docs find something they could have not with last night's test, UHC and I WILL have a problem!
Why do we have medical insurance if we cannot have test and procedures done that are necessary (non-elective?) WTF?
Old 7 May 2016, 13:05
The atomic zit

Thumbs up

Thanks for the follow-up on your test. I will have results next Friday...

S
Old 8 May 2016, 18:43

FYI. I downloaded the app DreamMapper. I entered typical UN and PW signup stuff plus the SN to my machine. If provides some basic info on sleep and AHI. My unit is a Phillips Respironics if that matters.
Old 9 May 2016, 11:52
Did...did I do that?

Oh, very cool! Thanks for that.
Old 14 May 2016, 00:03
The atomic zit

Looks like I am getting a CPAP.

I had 70 episodes in three hours and zero in the next three after being hooked up to a CPAP mid study.

The PA explained the results, and she was not speaking a language I understand. If there is a Doc or PA or other that can translate, I wil scan and post/send...

Other than that, I have an appointment with the CPAP provider Monday. They stock the DreamWear and that is where I think I am headed.

Will follow up next weekend.

Thanks for all the responses.

ps: insurance is covering 100%!!!
Old 15 May 2016, 14:14
Confirmed User

I did one a couple of years ago. I had so many wires and tubes connected to me it was almost impossible to get to sleep. I kept dislodging some sensor or other and the tech would keep coming in to fix it. I may have gotten 15 minutes of sleep. Then they came in and hooked up the CPAP. It made me feel like I couldnt breathe. I laid there for 3 hours unable to sleep. They came in and I told them that I was sorry but couldnt get to sleep. They told me that I was wrong, I was asleep. I know I wasn't but they insisted that I was. I was given a CPAP, but I never got used to it and to this day don't use it. I always pulled the mask off no matter what kind I tried.
Old 15 May 2016, 14:51
Confirmed User

Stretch,
If I can help decipher the medical speak, I would be happy to.
Feel free to pm if you prefer.
Old 27 June 2016, 07:26
Been There Done That

I just had the sleep study done at Womack two days ago. My wife has been complaining for years about my violent snoring and the fact that I stop breathing on multiple occasions. It turns out I stop breathing more than 20 times in an hour, which is part of the criteria to be hooked up to the CPAP machine and mask. The night spent in the sleep study center and on the CPAP machine was the best night of sleep I have had in over 5 years, I highly recommend having it done for anyone who remotely thinks they have a sleep disorder. For those on active duty and retired Tricare picks up the tab for the mask and machine. They also recommend and offer a sleep aid in the initial consult if you desire.
The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards. -William F. Butler
Old 27 June 2016, 07:36
I aim to misbehave

I've been meaning to get my shit together with the VA, apply for disability, and schedule a sleep study for years now. Problem is, I'm so damned tired, no matter how much I sleep, that I can't focus enough to get my shit together. At this point, I don't even know how I manage a steady job.

While true:
Continue
Old 27 June 2016, 08:21
Been There Done That

The only problem I have had since getting the CPAP is keeping up with the "Prescription" for the replacement stuff for the CPAP Machine. First the Health Care Supply Company wanted me to go to the Sleep Dr, that was a $250 15 minute visit. Tricare paid $225 of it but it was the principal of the thing that required you to give this "Dr" that much money for doing nothing. I now have my Dr at Navy Newport call the prescription in.
Old 27 June 2016, 09:10
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOFH View Post
I've been meaning to get my shit together with the VA, apply for disability, and schedule a sleep study for years now. Problem is, I'm so damned tired, no matter how much I sleep, that I can't focus enough to get my shit together. At this point, I don't even know how I manage a steady job.
Sleep apnea is serious shit. Leaving it untreated is slow suicide. If I were you, I'd make it my number one priority. Right now you are no worse than a fat guy that keeps stuffing his pie hole (me).
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when Im attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 27 June 2016, 10:08
The atomic zit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOFH View Post
PLEASE GO TO THE FUCKING DOC!!!

The tired/can't focus thing is a perpetual motion machine; it will not run out of gas and will not self correct. I know this from personal experience.

I used to wake up like l hadn't actually slept, event thought l was "sleeping" as much as 9-10 hrs/night. Now 6-7 hours of actual sleep and I am good to go.

Good luck and/or a kick in the ass. Whichever works better for you.

v/r

S.
Old 2 August 2016, 19:20
The atomic zit

I am following up regarding my appointment with the cardiologist today. He was the doctor that suggested and presrcibed a sleep study.

Doc told me to not fucking come back unless I have another issue. That was good news in my mind.

I guess I am cured long as I wear that fucking ring around my face.

The CPAP makes a difference for me.

That machine will be leaving country shortly.

Belize is our next stop, and FWIF, medical rigs get an exception for medical rigs...

Last edited by Stretch; 2 August 2016 at 19:31.
Old 2 August 2016, 19:54
Anesthetized User

So secondary to memory issues, irritability, fatigue I was sent home with pulse ox. The tech said I did not have apnea, hopefully meaning I did not de-sat.

As we all know with P-Ox, it measures o2 at that precise point only.

I am wondering if I am still not oxygenating or ventilating well. As of now a Polysom, has not been done.

My wife says I do not stop breathing and I do not snore.

Knowing the above, is a sleep study warranted?
Old 2 August 2016, 21:43
The atomic zit

I was not oxygenating...

This was determined by the heart monitor, I wore for one month, as prescribed by my cardiologist.

He is the one that recommended my sleep study.

If yours is qualified to determine when you and when you do not breathe during sleep, she has qualifications that I did not.

Short answer do the study. It might suck but it will not kill you.

S
Old 2 August 2016, 22:29
Administrator

My CPAP and I definitely have a love/hate relationship.

Mask that worked best for me is called a nano. Small and covers your nose only.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 2 August 2016, 23:38
Grinder Monkey

I've had my CPAP for a week now. I love it, I feel refreshed when I wake for the first time in a decade. I put it off for years, now I wish I had gone sooner. I got the nano as well and its fairly comfortable.
Old 3 August 2016, 10:39
Been There Done That

Went thru a sleep study and was told to get a CPAP. Medicare and supplemental ins. paid for the doc and study. Sent all the results to the VA clinic requesting a referral for the CPAP. VA provided the CPAP at no cost. I am rated at 40%, which may be the the threshold for receiving the CPAP. Maybe this will be of help to someone.

"For the mission, then. As long as he functions, I will humor him."
"If you don't humor him, you may find out how well he functions."

Our new posting rules