SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 11 June 2016, 17:06
Confirmed User

With respect, I believe the name is "Bushyhead", but I'm not 100% certain. Perhaps Wilma Mankiller and her ilk in Bartlesville, Ok might provide some input, if you wish to contact them. May even be something on the innerwebz...
Old 11 June 2016, 17:40
Confirmed User

Can someone explain the 1/16 or 1/31 ethnicity thing? How can a blonde with blue eyes even remotely be considered an Native American?

"When policemen break the law, then there isn't any law - just a fight for survival." - Billy Jack
Old 11 June 2016, 17:50
Preparing to defend

In my case, it would be a Great, great, great grandfather, born circa 1820 or so in western NC. Him (paternal GF) or his wife(married into it).

Edit: it's 1/32. You're working in even numbers. Mom/dad=1/2; their moms/dads(your grandparents)=1/4;their moms/dads(your great grandparents)=1/8, etc. and that's assuming "she" was full blooded(her mom and dad 100%).

Confused?

Last edited by jdogonroad; 11 June 2016 at 17:57.
Old 11 June 2016, 17:53
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats View Post
With respect, I believe the name is "Bushyhead", but I'm not 100% certain. Perhaps Wilma Mankiller and her ilk in Bartlesville, Ok might provide some input, if you wish to contact them. May even be something on the innerwebz...
You are correct--typo on my part. I'm still as ugly as he was
Old 11 June 2016, 18:00
The atomic zit

In my case, a great great great grandmother, on Mom's side, married a "full blood" Creek Indian.

Parentheses to note the verbal history.

Other than that, I am pure bred gringo mutt; and it suits me just fine.
Old 11 June 2016, 18:03
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome View Post
Can someone explain the 1/16 or 1/31 ethnicity thing? How can a blonde with blue eyes even remotely be considered an Native American?
There are somewhere around 18 or so 'rolls' which list the Cherokee and Cherokee Freedmen. Now, if you don't find your family, or family surname on these rolls--but know your ancestor(s) were Cherokee, it may mean they moved or immigrated elsewhere...just makes it a little harder to prove, but can be done by doing the research (which I am assuming Pocahontas Warren did).
Old 11 June 2016, 18:04
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
I am pure bred gringo mutt; and it suits me just fine.
Same here...I'm American. Not Native American...American. My heritage may differ, but I'm red, white and fucking blue--head to toe.
Old 11 June 2016, 18:16
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
Meh...we never stole anything from the Native Americans that they didn't steal from another tribe first. It was bound to happen sooner or later...I have no passion for living in a mud hut.
Agreed. The liberal apologists do a huge disservice to the American Indian. These cats were warriors. Steal, kill, plunder anyone that wasn't a member of their tribe. That's the way their world worked, but once again, the white, liberal, guilt bullshit, act like all they did was sit around and be peaceful, and then the evil white man came up and fucked up their shit(which that happened as well), but the American Indian was bad ass, and that shouldn't be forgotten.
Old 11 June 2016, 18:27
Confirmed User

Yeah, genealogy can be fun and entertaining, even historically informative...I've raced my paternal side back to East Anglia, with a name that is "almost certainly Norman", which immigrated from Denmark, which came from Northern European lineage, which came from Olduvai Gorge, which originated around Cape Town, from Proconsul(early ape) in South Africa, etc..which nets me exactly zero dollars and zero cents, and man-centuries in research expended...
Old 12 June 2016, 01:06
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
I'm half Cherokee and never got a thing, nor asked for any. In RIP, Crazy Larry Allen walked up to me and asked, "What Nation?"

I said, "Cherokee."

He smirked, "Your fucking people are weak. You won't pass this course."

hahahahahahahahahaha....good times.
LOL. That's our Larry. Legend.
Old 12 June 2016, 16:21
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

I can trace my ancestry back to Ireland over many generations, which pretty much makes me a mutt too.
Old 12 June 2016, 16:56
Preparing to defend

Actually, it probably made you a Celt. Or a Norseman.

Course, with a Dobie Gillis avatar, Spinner for a handle, and living the Shitcago version of escape from NY, you are probably either a Pict or a Druid.
Old 12 June 2016, 17:07
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Or a rabble rousing Fenian.

I can't wait until John Carpenter updates his "Escape From..." series, I think Chicago would make the perfect setting.
Old 12 June 2016, 17:37
Life is simple, not easy.

Palermo, Sicily & Naples, Italy on mother's side.
Compobasso, Italy on father's side.

Basically my immediate history consists of Italian & Sicilian hillbilly, mixed in with aristocracy. Plus undoubtedly some Arab/African based on invasions.

Somehow my mother believes her grandmother was part Cherokee, but there is nothing to support such a claim. Something about her G-G-Grandmother being 1/2 Cherokee 1/2 French.
Old 12 June 2016, 17:58
In From The East

Actually, I have no Native American heritage. It was purely hypothetical. Even if I was full blown Seminole or whatever, I would never expect favoritism as Fauxcahotas has. Now if I could work an angle to get free Guinness because of Celtic ancestry, that would be something to ponder.
Old 12 June 2016, 18:11
Preparing to defend

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamppirate View Post
...Now if I could work an angle to get free Guinness because of Celtic ancestry, that would be something to ponder.
Old Celtic truth: Irish wonder where this next round is coming from; Scots wondering who's paying
Old 12 June 2016, 18:14
Freelancer

As Chief of the Fuckawee Nation I welcome any and all who identify as Fuckawee.
Old 12 June 2016, 19:48
In From The East

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
As Chief of the Fuckawee Nation I welcome any and all who identify as Fuckawee.
Are there Peace pipes involved in said nation? If not, forget it.
Old 12 June 2016, 19:55
Awaiting the Terrologist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogonroad View Post
Actually, it probably made you a Celt. Or a Norseman.

He'd be Gael with a little Norse and possibly latter day Spanish if his family came from the South of Ireland. Celt is an all encompassing cultural label rather than genetic with DNA material from all over...true mutts.

As for people claiming to a fraction of anything, when you get to 1/32, isn't it time to wind your head in and work for your stuff?

On the 11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month, we will remember them.

Lest We Forget.
Old 12 June 2016, 22:29
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Warren is another screaming she-bat lib. She has done NOTHING of any significance in office (sound familiar?) I welcome her being HRC's VP pick. IMO it will hurt the Dem ticket because while many of them might be ready for the first female POTUS I don't think as many would welcome an all female ticket.
I hope you are right, but I have concerns. IIRC, Bernie met with her to find out if she was going to run. He had said something along the lines of not running if someone else who shared his views did. I'm also guessing the majority of Bernie's supporters voted for President Obama twice. So you can't expect much in the way of sound reasoning from that group. And Trump has shot himself in the foot so many times, he'll have trouble getting far left voters to support him. If they are looking for an alternative to Hillary, they may go with Gary Johnson. I saw one poll, a few days ago, that had him at 18%.

Our new posting rules