SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 31 January 2019, 12:33
Secure The Victory!

Army esports team?

Seriously? Soldiers applying for a slot for the opportunity to train by spending up to six (six!!) hours a day to play video games?? I get the need to appeal to a young market, but come on. Why didn't we have a comic book team back in the day?

https://www.army.mil/article/216464/...y_esports_team
Old 31 January 2019, 13:02
Confirmed User

Heck they could have had an Atari or Nintendo team.

It is not just the Army but now colleges are offering it.
I know how many Ohio State Fans there are here so here is one more nail in the coffin:

Ohio State announced plans to create an esports major this fall, and is preparing to begin offering it sometime next year. Scholarship details still need to be ironed out, including who will be offered them, how many there will be, and for what video games, said Dave Isaacs, spokesman for the Office of Student Life at Ohio State.

The 4,000-square-foot gaming arena is expected to be completed in 2019 and located in Lincoln Tower
Old 31 January 2019, 13:10
Confirmed User

The shit they do in hte name of recruiting.

Wicked kills in Fornite! Ever consider the Army? You could be a Ranger....

I wonder if the Navy will have a Sea of Thieves team......
Old 31 January 2019, 15:42
Confirmed User

I don't know if it is any different than the guy I knew who qualified for the USAF Golf Team. Aim High or in his case low.
Old 31 January 2019, 15:51
Going cyclic!!

Just part of the new generation of soldiers. News article here:

https://www.duffelblog.com/2019/01/a...chat-for-fire/
Old 31 January 2019, 16:03
Confirmed User

^^^

Exactly. I think its a brilliant move, actually. Take that Fortnite game, for example. Over 125 million players, with an average of 40 million people logging in to play that damn game a month...and 63% of the people playing that game are 18-24. Good recruiting tool, just like those recent Army recruiting commercials that look like a Call of Duty game...
Old 31 January 2019, 16:15
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by PV74RU78 View Post
Seriously? Soldiers applying for a slot for the opportunity to train by spending up to six (six!!) hours a day to play video games??
Meh. The Air Force has been doing it for years.

Apply Here
Old 31 January 2019, 16:34
Road Scum

What a fucking joke
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 91F52FCB-C3F5-42F0-B08A-3D9FEA9C052F.jpeg (42.6 KB, 220 views)

" a world class ass-clown who is running this jack-assery version of laser tag" USMC_ANGLICO
Old 31 January 2019, 17:21
Authorized Personnel

The problem is that many/most of the people an esports team attracts to the military will never make it to the team. They will enlist with the hopes of making the team, then when they don't they will very likely spend the rest of their enlistment being bitter about joining. It happens all too often with the USMC wrestling team; they travel around the country (funded by the recruiting regiment) attracting wrestlers who dream how awesome it would be to spend four years being paid good money to roll around on a mat with another sweaty man, but are never told by the Corps that there is a very small chance they will wrestle. They'll probably spend their career driving trucks or moving pallets in a warehouse.

Sorry for the angst, I've had to deal with several Marines that were disgruntled for exactly this reason.
Old 31 January 2019, 17:51
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
they travel around the country ... attracting wrestlers who dream how awesome it would be to spend four years being paid good money to roll around on a mat with another sweaty man, but are never told by the Corps that there is a very small chance they will wrestle....Sorry for the angst, I've had to deal with several Marines that were disgruntled for exactly this reason.
So Marines are disgruntled that they aren't paid to roll around on a mat with another sweaty man. How's that different than prior generations of Marines?

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 31 January 2019, 18:05
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
So Marines are disgruntled that they aren't paid to roll around on a mat with another sweaty man. How's that different than prior generations of Marines?
They can talk about it now....
Old 31 January 2019, 18:27
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
The guy that goes down in a tube with a hundred other men and shares bunks is giving us grief?
Old 31 January 2019, 19:50
Unemployed Stunt Double

I really like the idea of Army folks trolling around gamer chat rooms, trying to find recruits. All sorts of fun ways that can go sideways.
Old 31 January 2019, 20:17
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
I really like the idea of Army folks trolling around gamer chat rooms, trying to find recruits. All sorts of fun ways that can go sideways.
Kinda like this guy.

https://youtu.be/gCc2JITeS5o
Old 31 January 2019, 20:49
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
No shit. I have no evidence (maybe the cops/lawyers on here do) but I'm willing to bet that a lot of the mass school shooter freaks also had a serious "gamer" habit. Can't wait until they get beret's and challenge coins.
Old 31 January 2019, 20:54
Shakin' the bush Boss

Wanna do some E sports do ya? Meet me after chow with your E tool out behind the barracks and we're going to dig a M60 fighting position.
Old 31 January 2019, 20:59
Supporterator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
No shit. I have no evidence (maybe the cops/lawyers on here do) but I'm willing to bet that a lot of the mass school shooter freaks also had a serious "gamer" habit. Can't wait until they get beret's and challenge coins.

What's the gaming have to do with mass shooting? Maybe I missed your point.

Disclosure: I play video games a few hours a week.

As for this esports stuff, just means disability payments down the road for the successful ones. Carpal tunnel and all

Last edited by IronCross; 31 January 2019 at 21:00. Reason: Clarity
Old 31 January 2019, 22:43
RIP Cass and SOTB

Dont know if it's a point of pride or not, but I got invited to a madden tournament for the Army Esports team. Basically a tryout. I told them I'd think about it and make a decision after I get back from deployment.

My understanding is you maintain your MOS and duties but are expected to practice during the times designated by the CDR of the Esports team. And your primary function is a recruiting tool to be paraded about for the new generation station.
Old 31 January 2019, 22:50
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGA_11B View Post
Dont know if it's a point of pride or not, but I got invited to a madden tournament for the Army Esports team. Basically a tryout. I told them I'd think about it and make a decision after I get back from deployment.

My understanding is you maintain your MOS and duties but are expected to practice during the times designated by the CDR of the Esports team. And your primary function is a recruiting tool to be paraded about for the new generation station.
So...what is the benefit to you? Sounds like an increased work load, now working for two bosses. I wouldn't want a NCOER bullet related to the eSports team.
Old 31 January 2019, 23:25
Shakin' the bush Boss

Quote:
I wouldn't want a NCOER bullet related to the eSports team.
Why not, you know after it's been in existence for a year there will be an 06, a CSM, 2 SGM's and assorted E8 to be in charge of 13 E4 nerds.

Our new posting rules