SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Closed Thread

Old 2 February 2019, 12:48
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangalang View Post
Someone didn't get hired by BW, back in the day.
You could not be more wrong.
Old 2 February 2019, 12:53
Been There Done That

Quote:
Seriously?!
Old 2 February 2019, 13:03

Whether Eric Prince or Peter Spicer or whoever owns/operates Wagner Group...or anyone else who goes into the PMC business - and is successful - there's always going to be critics for and against.

I remember going to the weekly meetings in the Green Zone were hosted by the CPA liaison for, at the time, 60 private firms providing security services in Baghdad/Iraq. More often than not someone was losing a guy or a team weekly - and we all felt it.

But we did our jobs, took our pay, and looked forward to one day being able to just go fishing.
Old 2 February 2019, 15:59
Policeman Officer

Lightbulb

Quote:
And one appears.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 2 February 2019, 16:21
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Erik Prince is a fucking scumbag who is quite happy to make money training our enemies. His cult of suckups and hangers on will find a reason to hold his pocket anyway.
Funny I just bought one of Barry Eislers latest novel and the evil character is clearly modeled after Prince. You know your at Cartel status when fiction writers start making their characters based on you.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 2 February 2019, 17:26
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275RLTW View Post
Oh. I see. The USG NEVER trains LE/mil of countries we aren’t necessarily friends with. (I remember Russian soldiers out at Ft Carson in 2012) People are just looking to stir the pot because it’s Prince.
Sure as a matter of National Security Policy. Sometimes bad policy. But it’s a function of the Govt. apples and oranges. War is good $$ unfortunately and groups like his thrive on it. I completely disagree with govt outsourcing military and govt functions.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 2 February 2019, 17:33
BTDT

Quote:
And one appears.
"Speak of the devil" is the short form of the English-language idiom "Speak of the devil and he doth appear" (or its alternative form "speak of the devil and he shall appear"). It is used when an object of discussion unexpectedly becomes present during the conversation. It can also be used about a topic that quickly becomes relevant, such as the onset of rain or a car breaking down. Used in this sense it can be seen as an alternative to the phrase "tempting fate".

Old 2 February 2019, 17:37
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
I completely disagree with govt outsourcing military and govt functions.
What defines “military and govt functions?”
Training? We’ve been outsourcing and receiving that for centuries. Our revolutionary troops were trained by French, who were previously our enemies.
Fighting? Our 1st “Navy” were paid mercenaries and pirates.
Logistics is largely tasked out to private companies and has been for a while.

Again, I think people are pissed a private citizen is making the money and not the gov. He’s doing the same thing several agencies are doing and not breaking any of our laws.
Old 2 February 2019, 17:43
Administrator

Quote:
Way to beclown yourself.
Old 2 February 2019, 17:52
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Training? We’ve been outsourcing and receiving that for centuries. Our revolutionary troops were trained by French, who were previously our enemies.

Again, I think people are pissed a private citizen is making the money and not the gov. He’s doing the same thing several agencies are doing and not breaking any of our laws.
The phrase is "Inherently Governmental Function" and it is described here:

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CFR-1999-title48-vol1/pdf/CFR-1999-title48-vol1-sec7-503.pdf

What is legal is not always ethical.

-Stan

"An increasingly lonely man, Patton felt that his was the voice of truth in a wilderness of indifference." -Carlo D'Este
Old 2 February 2019, 18:35
#AllLionsMatter

Icon5

Quote:
What gives you that impression?
Old 2 February 2019, 18:51
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley_White View Post
The phrase is "Inherently Governmental Function" and it is described here:

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CFR-1999-title48-vol1/pdf/CFR-1999-title48-vol1-sec7-503.pdf

What is legal is not always ethical.

-Stan
And yet almost every one of those is, or has been outsourced. If ethics is the metric for determination then the USG is the last place to look.
Old 2 February 2019, 18:54
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
And yet almost every one of those is, or has been outsourced. If ethics is the metric for determination then the USG is the last place to look.
Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to imply that the USG follows its own rules.

-Stan

"An increasingly lonely man, Patton felt that his was the voice of truth in a wilderness of indifference." -Carlo D'Este
Old 2 February 2019, 19:31
#AllLionsMatter

Quote:
Erik Prince is a fucking scumbag who is quite happy to make money training our enemies. His cult of suckups and hangers on will find a reason to hold his pocket anyway.
Have you ever spoken to Erik personally?
Old 2 February 2019, 20:16
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
What gives you that impression?
Someone speaking poorly of someone they have probably never met. I'm not sure where all the hostility towards EP comes from. I have met the guy, and I have no issues with him. Of course, I have worked for his company for a long time, so I'm sure that I am a bit biased.
Old 2 February 2019, 20:27
Swimming Upstream

Quote:

If you are referring to me...you are wrong. I am not pissed he is making money. I think he is evil (evil is too strong a term, but I can't quite find the right term that fits). And his wealth is greatly a result of our taxes...funneled through .gov/.mil to his company.

Last edited by Purple36; 2 February 2019 at 20:50. Reason: Clarification
Old 2 February 2019, 20:29
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Someone speaking poorly of someone they have probably never met. I'm not sure where all the hostility towards EP comes from. I have met the guy, and I have no issues with him. Of course, I have worked for his company for a long time, so I'm sure that I am a bit biased.
Well, would you ask him where he draws the line? Does he have a line?
Old 2 February 2019, 20:45
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
If you are referring to me...you are wrong. I am not pissed he is making money. I think he is evil. And his wealth is greatly a result of our taxes...funneled through .gov/.mil to his company.
Then you exemplify my original comment in that it’s not WHAT he’s doing (since the USG does the same) but rather WHO is doing it.
Old 2 February 2019, 21:07
Been There Done That

I don't care for EP - never met him but have dealt with issues related to his Company's activities. I had duties that included aspects of this case and what I read in the Post was more intended to inflame, rather than to report.
http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php...ght=Blackwater
Old 2 February 2019, 21:28
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Then you exemplify my original comment in that it’s not WHAT he’s doing (since the USG does the same) but rather WHO is doing it.
If the company is working at The behest of .gov, I would agree with you. But if they are partnering with China on their own than absolutely not, they are strengthening a country we will very likely be in conflict with this decade
Closed Thread

Our new posting rules