SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 8 February 2019, 16:56
killjoy

I keep a bottle of 325mg Asprin on the fridge. As far as I recall, if bad symptoms show up I'm supposed to chew up one of those tablets.

Problem is that the symptoms are often described vaguely and it's difficult to imagine what they should/would feel like. I knew a guy that thought he was having heartburn that turned out to be a heart attack.
Old 8 February 2019, 17:01
Confronting the Reckoning

Recover well!
Old 8 February 2019, 17:22
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look. Don'tTouch. View Post
I keep a bottle of 325mg Asprin on the fridge. As far as I recall, if bad symptoms show up I'm supposed to chew up one of those tablets.

Problem is that the symptoms are often described vaguely and it's difficult to imagine what they should/would feel like. I knew a guy that thought he was having heartburn that turned out to be a heart attack.
If you don't have a bleeding disorder, a belly issue, or an issue with aspirin, if in doubt, any doubt, take the aspirin.

Justaclerk, so glad you are OK. Dodged that bullet. Prayers out for continued recovery and health.
Old 8 February 2019, 17:25
Been There Done That

Glad they caught it. Do what they tell you to do. On 5 the meds the rest of my life with a bottle of nitro in my pocket. After they had cracked my chest open the doctor ask when I had had a heart attack? Told him beats me. The only time I ever had any problems was when I went to the clinic on Hurlburt with chest pains and they sent me home with a bunch of heartburn meds and told me I would be ok in 3 or 4 days.

William Tecumseh Sherman-
I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast.

Last edited by pavegnr; 8 February 2019 at 17:26. Reason: dad gum touch screen
Old 8 February 2019, 19:14
The Sagacious One

Godspeed, let us know if you need anything.
Old 8 February 2019, 19:17
Only slightly useless.

Glad your feeling better! Take care of yourself!

" when life gives you lemons, make grape juice and confuse the hell out of them"
Old 8 February 2019, 21:42

Don't know if this is accurate, EMT said to chew up 4 baby aspirins for the event asap and away to the hospital. This was after many events, for me, I know what it feels like. I keep the 4 with me all the time. Some professionals here may have better information. Background, stent, triple bypass then another stent, 3 events 5 attacks. Take care!
Respectfully,
Bob
Old 8 February 2019, 23:01
MAGA 2020

Those pesky medics at it again... glad they and the docs put up their A game.
Glad you made it; speedy recovery and do your best to follow docs orders for a happy, healthy, long life.
Impressive door to post time.
Old 9 February 2019, 01:46
Confirmed User

Good luck with the recovery. Take them meds!
Old 11 February 2019, 10:01
Drawing my cutlass

First, a little house cleaning:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
You must have had a STEMI for such a quick diagnosis.

Speedy recovery.
Not a STEMI, thank the Gods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
Glad your okay. Serious question, did you post it on Facebook or SOCNET before contacting your family?
Nope, family was contacted immediately. I think mi esposa broke the I-75 record to get from Naples to Pompano Beach to be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
What were your symptoms?
Radiating pain in the chest. I'll describe it more in the AAR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Are you getting the good shit? I prefer about 2mg of Dilauid.

I'm glad you're able to post dude. Keep us up to date... but getting some fucking rest.

All the best.
Only one Xanax for the first night, the rest were a beta blocker, statin and a blood thinner. Still learning about them. As much as I hate sitting still, I took everyone's advice and became one with the couch potato.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 11 February 2019, 10:16
Confirmed User

Glad you're OK Justa!!
Old 11 February 2019, 10:48
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaclerk View Post

It sucks but it could be worse.
Yes...it could. I've gotta real good buddy in Ruby Memorial right now. (Morgantown) 45 y/o. One of those types that only goes to the doc if a bone is sticking out somewhere.

He's in CHF..pumper only functioning at 15%. I hope they can fix him up.

Karl Childers
Old 11 February 2019, 12:45
Drawing my cutlass

AAR

Since there was zero planning and preparation, I'll just stick to the events and follow up.

The Onset

I had just finished two morning dives off of Boca Raton and was headed back to our launch point. After crossing the breakers at Boca Inlet, I felt the onset of a radiating pain in my chest and I figured it was just muscle tightness so I sat down and began deep and slow breathing. The pain abated and I went back to enjoying the smooth ride in the canal. A few minutes later, the pain returned and this time it was much more intense, which was my first inkling that something was very wrong. I found the dive master, Chuck (good man, Regiment guy), and he sat with me and asked questions (joint pain, no; jaw clenching, no; numbness, yes, left arm) as I went through the breathing exercise. Again, the pain abated, but not for long and when it hit again it was excruciating - think 10 on a scale of 1 - 10 - and I was having issues taking in a full breath.

At this point I dialed 911 as we were nearing the dock and slid from a sitting position to full supine with the crew propping my head up and calling for O2. Mask donned, I tried to take as much oxygen as I could, but the pain kept hammering me; also, the crew administered aspirin and kept me engaged by talking to me, which made me focus on staying awake. At this time, Broward Fire and Rescue met the boat at the dock location.

Broward Fire and Rescue and EMTs

The first medic who engaged me was the crew chief, a lieutenant, who was in complete command. He did the ABCDs and the questioning and immediately called for my evacuation from the boat. Fortunately, with assistance, I was able to stand and egress from the boat to the waiting gurney and was quickly loaded on to the ambulance.

At this point, everything was happening very fast. I've never been medically evaced, but the professionalism of the crew and their level of workload management left me no doubt that I was in good hands. Every instruction from the supervising medic was cross-checked by the second one and their care was one of the elements that saved my life. They continued to monitor my progress and pain level and administered two nitroglycerin pills while we were enroute, which slightly abated the pain. Summing up the efforts of the all male crew, I would say that they were probably on par with Delta level EMT training and similarly the same level of military precision.

After a ride of about seven minutes, the ambulance arrived at Broward Health North where I was wheeled into Emergency.

Emergency Room

Once I was wheeled into the room, the all female emergency team went to work and just like the EMTs, their level of professionalism was superb. The one part of the event that proved this to me was their coordinated and practiced effort to transfer me from the gurney to the table, which was to my untrained eye effortless and seamless. From there, their total focus was to reduce my pain to zero, which they did by intravenously feeding me nitro. Also, with the same coordinated effort they stripped my clothes (fortunately, I had already packed my gear on the boat before the onset); shaved me; and got me into a gown; I didn't understand it at the time but I was being prepped for emergency surgery.

In the middle of what can only be described as controlled chaos, the emergency room doctor kept asking me questions on my metrics to record and keep me awake. The only glitch during the whole encounter was their inability to get in touch with my wife - she was in the middle of extracting a tooth from a patient - but I was able to give them the number to her health care facility and they were able to get a message to her.

After what seemed like 15 minutes, the team wheeled me to surgery.

Surgery

Once I arrived at the operatory the emergency team handed me off to the surgical nurses and again the same smooth transfer occurred. Also, again, the team of nurses was all female and they efficiently made final preparations. When I asked whether I would go under general anesthesia they said no, I would be sedated with Propofol, which put me at ease since that's been the sedation of choice for all my colonoscopies. As far as the procedure, it was explained to me that the entry would be through the right side of the groin using a catheter to the blocked artery where a stent would be inserted.

After about 10 minutes, I was put under and the procedure began. 30 minutes later, I awoke with the surgeon explaining to me and my somewhat woozy head that the surgery was successful and he found very little damage to the heart (as a side bar, unlike other muscles, the heart does not self repair).

At this time I wheeled to the ICU to begin recovery.

ICU and Recovery

This was the worst part of the experience. Again, the nursing team was outstanding, but the never-ending monitoring would make any Type-A grit their teeth. Every hour they needed to check my temperature, my pulse around my ankles and the 'softness' of the entry area. But the most maddening thing was the inability to urinate lying down (during the first 24-hours, they wouldn't let me sit or stand). Suffice to say, that trying to piss into a hard receptacle in a supine position gives one a shy bladder and with fluid building up to levels of concern, you probably have figured out what was brought out.

The catheter.

Hurts going in, yes, but once in place, seeing 1 liter plus of piss come out and the almost immediate relief was worth the experience.

The only other issue that I had was the first doctor, who consulted with me and told me that I had 20 minutes to live by the time I arrived. As I mulled that over, I figured it was a scare tactic, which torqued me off somewhat.

But after 36 hours, the primary physician released me to home and I was happily wheelchaired out of the hospital.

Follow Up

Correcting a previous post, I am on three prescriptions for the foreseeable future along with an aspirin regimen. The one area of concern is my HDL cholesterol (the good kind), which is low and so I'm going to have to have a more restricted diet again for the foreseeable future. Thinking about what's changed, I probably am going to have to take off at least 10 pounds, which is a shame because of the gains I've achieved in powerlifting, but given the choice between putting up heavy weights and living, I'll go with the latter.

I'm seeing my cardiologist today and we'll map out a plan of action, but I'm pretty certain that included in the plan will be a much more aggressive monitoring schedule and low-sodium, low-fat diet.

And that should bring everyone up to date.

Oh, I thank everyone in this outstanding community for their thoughts and well wishes. You are the best humanity offers.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy

Last edited by Justaclerk; 11 February 2019 at 12:51.
Old 11 February 2019, 13:11
Authorized Personnel

Outstanding AAR. What is your age range? Any prior issues with your heart?
Old 11 February 2019, 13:14
Confirmed User

Glad to hear you are receiving good care. Speedy recovery!
Old 11 February 2019, 13:19
Confirmed User

Good write-up. Time is muscle, getting the vessel(s) open ASAP is paramount. Good to see the system working like it should.

Given that I have worked in dive medicine, I am curious if there is any relationship between the dive and the MI (i.e., correlation vs causation).

Glad things turned out for the best possible outcome.
Old 11 February 2019, 13:26
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV View Post
Outstanding AAR. What is your age range? Any prior issues with your heart?
60. Atrial fibrillation.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:

Billy L-Bach
Quote:

Tracy
Old 11 February 2019, 13:29
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
Good write-up. Time is muscle, getting the vessel(s) open ASAP is paramount. Good to see the system working like it should.

Given that I have worked in dive medicine, I am curious if there is any relationship between the dive and the MI (i.e., correlation vs causation).

Glad things turned out for the best possible outcome.
I don't think so. The dives were 63' and 62' respectively and I wasn't doing anything strenuous. I didn't even have any squeeze problems with my ears.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:

Billy L-Bach
Quote:

Tracy
Old 11 February 2019, 15:36
Did...did I do that?

Keep healing.
Old 11 February 2019, 15:50
Confirmed User

Glad you’re alright. Recover well.

Our new posting rules