SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 12 February 2019, 14:24
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpogue View Post
There is nothing liberal about it. During the Eisenhower administration, the top income bracket payed 91% mainly to pay off the debt from WWII.
Those were strange days. Over half the US budget was spent on defense, and over half the defense budget was spent on things related to radioactive devices.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 12 February 2019, 14:47
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpogue View Post
There is nothing liberal about it. During the Eisenhower administration, the top income bracket payed 91% mainly to pay off the debt from WWII.
I am not trying to be argumentative, but citing tax policy from 70 years ago is deflective.

I contend simply that I am unduly overburdened while half of my fellow citizens pay nothing towards the many financial pillars (national defense as an example) ignored by silo-based systems like social security & medicare/medicaid.

This might be worth a thread on its own volition...

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 12 February 2019, 15:36
Never to old to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappa Ugg View Post
I don't post but I needed to get this out... FUCK CANCER! I HATE IT.

I'm sitting here helpless as my wife is upstairs having a double mastectomy and the first of several reconstructive surgeries. From a mammogram 6 weeks ago to this. Prognosis is good but it still pisses me off that she has to endure through this. Cut on me all you want but leave my wife alone!

Thanks.. back in my lane
Hang in there, my wife had it done over 20 years ago, they found a lump on one side. After talking to the Doctor she said take them both off. She has been cancer free. We have known some females that only had the bad side removed but several years later they had to do the other side.

payers are being sent
Old 12 February 2019, 15:53
Been There Done That

Quote:

I'm sitting here helpless as my wife is upstairs having a double mastectomy and the first of several reconstructive surgeries. From a mammogram 6 weeks ago to this. Prognosis is good but it still pisses me off that she has to endure through this. Cut on me all you want but leave my wife alone!

Thanks.. back in my lane
Brother...behind the breasts lies the heart. If her heart remains unchanged, that's all that matters. Prayers out...
Old 12 February 2019, 15:55
Been There Done That

Quote:

Thanks.. back in my lane

Hey Ugg...Gues what?

FUCK CANCER!

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 12 February 2019, 15:57
Confirmed User

People having a shock on their taxes now, is mostly caused by failure to do their own due diligence. When the new code came in, it was NO secret that property and state tax deductions were capped. The withholding was reduced also by lower tax rates.

I have no sympathy for people saying they didn't know.

I knew. I also was tired of subsidizing high tax state residents because I live in a low tax state. The fed does not own the fault. The steal all your money states and failure to pay attention to the changes actually have consequences. Seeing folks forced to deal with who they elect and the laws they pass in those states has finally hit them between the eyes.
Old 12 February 2019, 16:00
Confronting the Reckoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
I doubt it. Withdrawing from the INF treaty didn't involve any new allocated spending.
I enjoyed that one!
Old 12 February 2019, 16:01
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davelrrp View Post
The withholding was reduced also by lower tax rates.
The withholdings schedule was artificially deflated to give the illusion to the common man that their taxes were going down, to coincide with the message coming out of Washington.

Borrowed time.....

Quote:
I have no sympathy for people saying they didn't know.
...and there are those of us that knew all along, and we still don't like it...

Quote:
Seeing folks forced to deal with who they elect and the laws they pass in those states has finally hit them between the eyes.
Spot on. All politics are local.

I live in a tony suburb of Cleveland with one of the highest-rated school districts in the state....but we pay dearly for it. My property taxes on a ~$725K house are $19K a year. I am selling the house this year because of it just to move one county further away to get out of this tax burden. That's over $1,500 per month just in property taxes...

I attend school board meetings where they propose the levy every other year and I am seen as the "bad guy that hates children" when i voice concern over the school district having teachers making $135K and giving them 3% raises every year via union contract. It's a fucking racket, and I am sick of it. Voting with my feet....

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 12 February 2019, 16:29
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
The withholdings schedule was artificially deflated to give the illusion to the common man that their taxes were going down, to coincide with the message coming out of Washington.

Borrowed time.....

...and there are those of us that knew all along, and we still don't like it...

Spot on. All politics are local.

I live in a tony suburb of Cleveland with one of the highest-rated school districts in the state....but we pay dearly for it. My property taxes on a ~$725K house are $19K a year. I am selling the house this year because of it just to move one county further away to get out of this tax burden. That's over $1,500 per month just in property taxes...

I attend school board meetings where they propose the levy every other year and I am seen as the "bad guy that hates children" when i voice concern over the school district having teachers making $135K and giving them 3% raises every year via union contract. It's a fucking racket, and I am sick of it. Voting with my feet....
That is insane!!!!!! Just for what you pay in property tax you could retire in Hoi An, Vietnam and live a very comfy life.

I live in three bedroom two bath, seperate living and family rooms, hardwood floor, all updated kitchen and electric and oversized two car garage on 1/3 acre lot at end of culdesac, all brick ranch in a nice neighborhood, in a University town and pay $550 a year in property tax. Yes, a year. Normally would be $1100 but disabled baterams get 50% discount. And was have good infrastructure, good schools, nice parks, thriving economy and downtown. And I bitch about having to pay property tax.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2320.jpg (51.0 KB, 123 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12 February 2019, 16:44
Confirmed User

At DH

I feel your pain. There are always those that comprehend but are caught up by being in the minority.

The difference this time being that the feel good only voters are not going to feel good. The realization that the devil is in the details, and NOT understanding the consequences of who or what you vote for will be a lesson expensively learned.

The Mason Dixon line still means a little something DH. Warmer weather, lower taxes & housing cost, AND best of all, SEC football! Ready to move?
Old 12 February 2019, 16:54
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
I contend simply that I am unduly overburdened while half of my fellow citizens pay nothing towards the many financial pillars (national defense as an example) ignored by silo-based systems like social security & medicare/medicaid.
You mean like this from Mississippi a few years ago? The red numbers are taxes going out of a pocket, and the black numbers are benefits flowing in. Comparing the numbers at top and bottom may be infuriating.
Attached Files
File Type: docx why work.docx (119.7 KB, 14 views)

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 12 February 2019, 17:04
Red Headed Stepchild

Dealing with my parents' Long Term Care Insurance company. Only two times I have ever completely lost my shit yelling on the phone.

Well...there was that time with our house renovation GC but that's expected.
Old 12 February 2019, 17:33
Shakin' the bush Boss

Why in the blue fuck anybody would live where they have to pay 19K a year in property taxes boggles my fucking mind. Not just no, but fuck no. I have a house and 20 acres and pay less than 1k per year and THAT pisses me off. I'd be homicidal if my taxes were 1.5k per month.
Old 12 February 2019, 17:53
Ghey floor sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Why in the blue fuck anybody would live where they have to pay 19K a year in property taxes boggles my fucking mind. Not just no, but fuck no. I have a house and 20 acres and pay less than 1k per year and THAT pisses me off. I'd be homicidal if my taxes were 1.5k per month.
Yeah, but you donít mind living out in the sticks with raccoons.
Old 12 February 2019, 18:03
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janitor View Post
Yeah....well, you can buy a helluva lot of .22 rounds with 19K.
Old 12 February 2019, 18:17
Calix Meus Inebrians

Quote:

This might be worth a thread on its own volition...
It's probably a good thread to spin-off, because it's an important subject.

I don't think you can have the debate while ignoring the silo systems like Social Security & Medicare/Medicaid...especially when those who pay the most in income taxes, get capped on what they pay into Social Security at some point.

I lump it all together. It comes out of my check straight to the federal government without ever hitting my pockets, and before I could even earn interest on it. When I track my finances on my spreadsheet, I keep tabs on that value, because it's the true measure of how much (total value and percentage wise) the government takes from the fruits of my labor, and as a voter, I want to know that value. How much that should be for a citizen on average and median is a good topic for debate.

It's also a societal value thing. Someone who makes what's "low income" but still works a full time job is putting value into society. The free(ish) market or government has decided their work is needed, and pays for it. You can correctly argue that the private sector is a helluva lot more efficient about making sure they aren't paying for unneeded work, but at the end of a day, they're doing a job that's been identified as needed.

I have little problem with someone getting a break on income taxes when they still get hit with payroll tax to contribute to the federal coffers, all the while actually having the dignity to put in a days work, because I think work should be valued (which we've codified as the EITC). We still need people to do these jobs, and as long as they're good citizens otherwise, subsidizing them in my mind is akin to greasing gears you need to turn.
Old 12 February 2019, 18:28
Authorized Personnel

Quote:

I'm now 5 years cancer free and yes, cancer and it's cure is a terrible thing to go through. The bright side is she will be alive and you will still be in love with a beautiful person.

My wife never uttered the word 'fuck' till I got cancer, now we are both quick to say FUCK CANCER!

You guys are both in our thoughts. I say both because it was harder on her than it was on me.
Old 12 February 2019, 20:12
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janitor View Post
Uhhhhh. DH had raccoon issues in his 19K property taxed suburb.

Dont bring it up though.

Old 12 February 2019, 20:54
Been There Done That

Nice crib LP! Good fields of fire. Looks like a nice E&E out the back woodline.

Old 13 February 2019, 10:30
Drawing my cutlass

Owing more than 12K in federal taxes this year. Thanks, last Congress.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy

Our new posting rules