SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1881  
Old 3 February 2019, 22:19
Gsniper Gsniper is offline
Shakin' the bush Boss
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 6,801
Good lookin bacon. You mean it's too salty?
Reply With Quote
  #1882  
Old 3 February 2019, 23:08
wowzers wowzers is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
You got some Easter Eggers.
Araucanas. My wife has spent a bunch of time to raise birds with tufts on their faces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Good lookin bacon. You mean it's too salty?
Too salty and sweet. Might just try a different dry cure all together. How was the pulled pork?

Last edited by wowzers; 3 February 2019 at 23:15.
Reply With Quote
  #1883  
Old 3 February 2019, 23:20
Gsniper Gsniper is offline
Shakin' the bush Boss
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 6,801
Good. Took it off at 155deg and it was nice and moist.
Soak that bacon for about a half hour and it will take the edge off of it.
Reply With Quote
  #1884  
Old 3 February 2019, 23:38
wowzers wowzers is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,836
That's what I Ended up doing. Made a big difference.
Reply With Quote
  #1885  
Old 3 February 2019, 23:43
Janitor Janitor is offline
Ghey floor sweeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bottom Feeding
Posts: 2,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
So my bacon seeds finally fruited. First try on the bacon. There flavor is good but it's pretty powerful. Probably only going to keep it in the cure for four days next time opposed to a week. Four hours of cold smoke with apple.
What percentage of salt were you trying to reach? 2% to 2.5% is about as much as most people find tolerable. Cure penetrates at the rate of 1 inch per 7 days, so cutting down curing time just means your bacon won’t be cured. If it’s too strong, change your salt ratio of add more sugar.

With respect to smoking, I used to cold smoke mine for at least 24 hours over 3 days (I’d smoke at night and refrigerate it during the day). The smoke is going to be strong immediately after you pull it out, but give it a couple of days and it will mellow out.
__________________
FKA Azatty
Reply With Quote
  #1886  
Old 4 February 2019, 12:20
Expatmedic's Avatar
Expatmedic Expatmedic is offline
Anesthetized User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern California
Posts: 3,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
Too salty and sweet. Might just try a different dry cure all together. How was the pulled pork?

By chance did you use table salt? If so, reduce salt by 50%.

For good, basic bacon, salt, pepper and some brown sugar with Prague #1.

Try local honey, Molasses, real maple syrup. For salt I use sea salt.

The flavors will change in the first 24-48 hours after the smoke.

To me it gets better with a few days of age.
__________________
Support SOCNET.

It don't come easy.--Ringo Starr
Reply With Quote
  #1887  
Old 4 February 2019, 22:19
wowzers wowzers is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janitor View Post
What percentage of salt were you trying to reach? 2% to 2.5% is about as much as most people find tolerable. Cure penetrates at the rate of 1 inch per 7 days, so cutting down curing time just means your bacon won’t be cured. If it’s too strong, change your salt ratio of add more sugar.

With respect to smoking, I used to cold smoke mine for at least 24 hours over 3 days (I’d smoke at night and refrigerate it during the day). The smoke is going to be strong immediately after you pull it out, but give it a couple of days and it will mellow out.
I'm not sure what I was shooting for. I followed a recipe I found online for basic bacon. Does it really cure that slowly? When I corn elk/deer roast they are probably anywhere from 8-14" and they get done in 7-10 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
By chance did you use table salt? If so, reduce salt by 50%.

For good, basic bacon, salt, pepper and some brown sugar with Prague #1.

Try local honey, Molasses, real maple syrup. For salt I use sea salt.

The flavors will change in the first 24-48 hours after the smoke.

To me it gets better with a few days of age.
No I used Kosher salt. Only ingredients were salt, brown sugar, black pepper. I had some this morning unsoaked and it was mellower, but still pretty sweet. I think I'll try that amazing ribs recipe you sent and go from there. Glad I only used one part of the bellies I have on this initial run.
Reply With Quote
  #1888  
Old 10 February 2019, 22:43
wowzers wowzers is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,836
Carnitas off a shoulder from the bacon seeds. Pickled red onions. Made some tortillas but my maseca was way to old so store bought it was.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KIMG0422.jpg (37.2 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg KIMG0421.jpg (35.2 KB, 210 views)
Reply With Quote
  #1889  
Old 11 February 2019, 05:19
schibbs schibbs is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: West Salem, Wi 54669
Posts: 986
Don't know if this is what anyone is into on this thread, but if someone wants some dried herbs , which I dry a ton of , send me a PM with mailing address. I am too old to trade herbs for sex anymore and have sent some to all the women who aren't still mad at me, so the first of you studs who PM's me can have some herbs, free!
Reply With Quote
  #1890  
Old 22 February 2019, 17:46
bigsapper's Avatar
bigsapper bigsapper is offline
Authorized Personnel
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 763
Happy National Margarita Day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg margarita.jpg (55.0 KB, 165 views)
Reply With Quote
  #1891  
Old 22 February 2019, 17:55
HighDragLowSpeed's Avatar
HighDragLowSpeed HighDragLowSpeed is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Only Place For Me
Posts: 5,404
This thread never loses its value....
__________________
Save the whales. Collect the whole set.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Reply With Quote
  #1892  
Old 22 February 2019, 18:47
Expatmedic's Avatar
Expatmedic Expatmedic is offline
Anesthetized User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern California
Posts: 3,736
Mac And Cheese

I made some mac n cheese.

Butter
Flour
Heavy Cream
Sharp Cheddar
Brie-Triple Cream
Parmesan Reggiano
Rigatoni pasta 1/2lb
Elbow pasta 1/2 lb
Green onion
Sea salt and black pepper to taste.

Toss a stick of butter into a warm pot and let it brown. The add Flour bit by bit and whisking constantly let the flour cook for a bit stirring all time with a whisk. Start adding Heavy cream, stir n add, stir n add, stir and add. The Béchamel will get thick as a 3 day old cow patty on a hot summer day. Once it is as creamy as you like it add small junks of Brie till gone and smooth. Add small amounts of grated sharp cheese. This should be largest amount of cheese you put it. Whisk N Stir. If you add cheese to fast sauce gets grainy. Then whisk in Parmesan, don't be cheap here. Cheese should be added about half of your palm at a time.

Boil elbow and rigatoni in well salted water. Boil till just a bit underdone. Do not rinse then add into cheese sauce.

Mix up and serve with some diced green onion on top.

No pics this time.

This scored 9/10 at home and 9/10 at work. Let me know if you make it and I would appreciate your feedback.

Enjoy!
__________________
Support SOCNET.

It don't come easy.--Ringo Starr
Reply With Quote
  #1893  
Old 22 February 2019, 22:58
Jakers Jakers is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Washington State
Posts: 399
The original recipe I found was called Romanian Chicken...not sure about the authenticity but it's good.

2-3lbs chicken thighs and breast, either large chunks or thin fillets, cooks choice.
1 large onion
1lb mushrooms, coarsely sliced
2 heaping tbl poppy seeds
1.5-2 cups chicken stock
1.5-2 cups sour cream or mixed with good yogurt
2tbl flour
2tbl lemon juice
handful of fresh parsley, cut fine

Brown the chicken in a mix of olive oil and butter, take out of the pan and cook the onions until they soften but don't brown.

Add the chicken, poppy seeds, parsley and stock back in, cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Add the mushrooms (lid off) and cook for another 15 or so until they've given up all their liquid. If the sauce is to thin before adding the mushrooms keep the lid off for a few minutes first.

Take the pot of the heat, mix the flour with the sour cream and stir into the pot. Add the lemon juice just before serving. Goes good with rice cooked with preserved lemon.
Reply With Quote
  #1894  
Old 23 February 2019, 11:39
Mingo Kane's Avatar
Mingo Kane Mingo Kane is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
I made some mac n cheese.

Butter
Flour
Heavy Cream
Sharp Cheddar
Brie-Triple Cream
Parmesan Reggiano
Rigatoni pasta 1/2lb
Elbow pasta 1/2 lb
Green onion
Sea salt and black pepper to taste.

Toss a stick of butter into a warm pot and let it brown. The add Flour bit by bit and whisking constantly let the flour cook for a bit stirring all time with a whisk. Start adding Heavy cream, stir n add, stir n add, stir and add. The Béchamel will get thick as a 3 day old cow patty on a hot summer day. Once it is as creamy as you like it add small junks of Brie till gone and smooth. Add small amounts of grated sharp cheese. This should be largest amount of cheese you put it. Whisk N Stir. If you add cheese to fast sauce gets grainy. Then whisk in Parmesan, don't be cheap here. Cheese should be added about half of your palm at a time.

Boil elbow and rigatoni in well salted water. Boil till just a bit underdone. Do not rinse then add into cheese sauce.

Mix up and serve with some diced green onion on top.

No pics this time.

This scored 9/10 at home and 9/10 at work. Let me know if you make it and I would appreciate your feedback.

Enjoy!
One word: *KRAFT* even cums with its own sauce. (cross thread points )
Reply With Quote
  #1895  
Old 23 February 2019, 15:57
usmc_3m's Avatar
usmc_3m usmc_3m is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: PR of Kali
Posts: 1,248
Traditional Wok

I recently got a traditional wok and have gone through the entire temper-season-cook-re-temper-season-cook process over a few months. I have to say I love cooking with this thing. So easy, fast and versatile.

The pictures below show the transition from the brand new wok to the current state, which has now been re-tempered and seasoned three times. Which is about normal if your wok is a traditional carbon steel wok. Hopefully you can see the deeper, richer bluing of the steel in that last photo. It's very much like a cast iron skillet in terms of usage and cleaning. Anyone else here cook with a wok?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wok1.jpg (34.4 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg Wok2.JPG (90.4 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg Wok3.jpg (22.3 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg Wok4.jpg (30.8 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg Wok5.jpg (33.6 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg Wok6.jpg (24.4 KB, 125 views)
__________________
"He who does not punish evil commands that it be done." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
Reply With Quote
  #1896  
Old 24 February 2019, 17:07
SF_BHT's Avatar
SF_BHT SF_BHT is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Escaped from the islands!!!
Posts: 1,997
I have had one for years. Fast to cook with and I really prefer it most of the days to my other pots and pans.
__________________
BTDT Just marking time to Retire again....
Reply With Quote
  #1897  
Old 24 February 2019, 18:14
Mingo Kane's Avatar
Mingo Kane Mingo Kane is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,394
Give me a wok and a cast iron skillet--all things edible are possible. Love'm both...
Reply With Quote
  #1898  
Old 24 February 2019, 19:53
usmc_3m's Avatar
usmc_3m usmc_3m is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: PR of Kali
Posts: 1,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
Give me a wok and a cast iron skillet--all things edible are possible. Love'm both...
Yep. Throw in a grill and that's all a cooking man needs.
__________________
"He who does not punish evil commands that it be done." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
Reply With Quote
  #1899  
Old 24 February 2019, 21:12
wowzers wowzers is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Idaho
Posts: 1,836
I've wanted to make one of those disco cookers made out of a disc from a plow.
Reply With Quote
  #1900  
Old 25 February 2019, 04:12
Hostile0311 Hostile0311 is offline
Ne Obliviscaris
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Malta
Posts: 2,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
Give me a wok and a cast iron skillet--all things edible are possible. Love'm both...
This^^^
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Our new posting rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:13.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved
© SOCNET 1996-2018