SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 22 March 2016, 10:34
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
That is one of my biggest pet peeves with newer vehicles. They are all moving to 17" and taller rims which makes even the economy tires not so economical.
My 1999 F150 with 176,000 or so miles came stock with 17" rims. The wife's ride, a 2013 Honda sedan, has 18" rims. It is ridiculous and drives up the cost of tires.
Old 22 March 2016, 10:37
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACE View Post
In a bygone era, they were called "station wagons".
While some of these look like a "station wagon" on steroids, they remain "station wagons". They are bigger than sedans, don't have the wheel base of a truck (or minivan) or the ability to carry the same size loads as a truck.
The minivan took the place of "station wagons" in the eighties.
We have simply come full circle.
"Crossovers" have styling features of the larger SUV/truck and may have a higher curb stance, but they are essentially a "station wagon". The earliest one I can remember was the Subaru Outback, the little "station wagon" with, I think, 4 wheel drive/all wheel drive (?).
Yep. Pretty much every family had a Station wagon in the 1970s and early 1980s.

About a month or so ago, had to pick up a buddy's kids from school. Had to wait in line, with about 40 moms. I kid you not, I was the only non-Mini van in the line.
Old 22 March 2016, 10:40
Violence of Action

I think most of you are just upset that they won't bring back the Pacer or the Gremlin....
Old 22 March 2016, 10:40
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
I remember shopping for a 4WD/AWD "car" before I bought my Wrangler in the 80's and I test drove an AMC Eagle and Subaru Brat. Man, things have changed.

I look in my garage and see a '97 Landcruiser, '11 Pilot and '12 Outback wagon (manual). So I guess I buy into the hype.

Hold on to the Landcruiser. I dream of having an old J4. They're awesome!

Karl Childers
Old 22 March 2016, 11:57
Been There Done That

my dad and his wife have been in Subarus for 15 odd years now. she always ran an Outback, he had a couple Legacies, now has a cross track. he doesn't want to be flashy, but "needs" AWD in Houston... 'cause rain and flooding in underpasses.... yeah.... not worth arguing that point. glad you like your rides dad...

haven't driven either or most of their cars, but the cross track rides well and seems to handle well. the seats, and older Legacy seats are really hard, decent lumbar/back support, but hard on the ass, and I don't know how good a cruise or distance drive would feel. and I've put up with some shitty seating arrangements.

the newish Outback seems really heavy, with a bunch of interior build. it feels stouter,almost bulky with overbuilt, oversized interior panels and pieces than I think it needs.

if I lived in a snow belt/mountains... I could see it being more useful than anywhere down south.

mom ran Cameries, for 4 or 5... moved out to the family farm and got a quad cab Tacoma Pre-Runner. totaled it in a roll over with pretty minimal injuries considering, replaced it with an identical newer model and loves it. I'm pretty impressed too. solid build quality, strong engine, and probably tows well if it had a brake upgrade. that's my only real complaint is that the brakes are adequate enough with light/moderate loads, but if I were towing anything, I'd want bigger breaks. but hey, it's a truck. drive a truck like they need driven.

what pisses me off more than anything is manual transmissions. you can get one in a basic model econobox, high end sports car, and nothing much in between. I haven't shopped full sized trucks in a long while, but goddamn their stickers offend me these days. a diesel stick would be just fine by me.

I'm currently happy with beater truck (auto, bought used) my VW Westy, and I've got a '99 Jetta VR6 5-speed sitting in the yard that I aught to just rebuild. it was a fun little scoot when it ran, and got decent milage.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 22 March 2016, 12:44
Another pool cleaner

One of my biggest issues with crossovers and new cars in general is the complexity of maintenance. I've seen new cars with no transmission dipsticks!

As my kids start driving, I told them I'd help them get their first car, but they would have to partly pay for it and they would do the usual maintenance (oil change, fluid replacement, brake rebuid, etc) so that they can do minor repairs without being raped at the dealer.

It's tough to do that with new crossovers.
Old 22 March 2016, 12:48
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW Driver View Post
my dad and his wife have been in Subarus for 15 odd years now. she always ran an Outback, he had a couple Legacies, now has a cross track. he doesn't want to be flashy, but "needs" AWD in Houston... 'cause rain and flooding in underpasses.... yeah.... not worth arguing that point. glad you like your rides dad...

haven't driven either or most of their cars, but the cross track rides well and seems to handle well. the seats, and older Legacy seats are really hard, decent lumbar/back support, but hard on the ass, and I don't know how good a cruise or distance drive would feel. and I've put up with some shitty seating arrangements.

the newish Outback seems really heavy, with a bunch of interior build. it feels stouter,almost bulky with overbuilt, oversized interior panels and pieces than I think it needs.

if I lived in a snow belt/mountains... I could see it being more useful than anywhere down south.
Been a Subaru fan for years and in spite of KidA telling me I'm a lesbian for having one (a 2015 Legacy is the latest), they are good, solid cars that do exactly what I ask them to do. My wife and I test drove the Cross Track for her, but ultimately decided to pass and wait until we move back east (where I will get my WRX ).

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 22 March 2016, 12:51
Been There Done That

^ All built in my home town. But, ironically, you do not see many on the road here. Seems in Colorado, 1 out of every 3 people have one.
Old 22 March 2016, 13:15
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
^ All built in my home town. But, ironically, you do not see many on the road here. Seems in Colorado, 1 out of every 3 people have one.
Yep, they definitely are the vehicle of choice out here. The snow and ice in town and in the mountains make you a believer.

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy
Old 22 March 2016, 14:59
Did...did I do that?

Our 2005 Odyssey just went TU a month or so ago with 250k on the clock. We're going to replace when some expected funds come in, and I've convinced myself I want an Outback. Has Subaru dealt with the head gasket problems I keep reading about?
Old 23 March 2016, 02:47
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
^ Could have gotten her a 4 door Jeep Wrangler - it is basically a cross over - a cross between a Jeep and a Mini- Van.
My mom has one. Its nice but more than i wanted to spend. Plus the Cherokee gets like 10mpg more than the Wrangler.

We have a modified 92 Land Cruiser for our off-road needs
Old 23 March 2016, 15:33
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
One of my biggest issues with crossovers and new cars in general is the complexity of maintenance. I've seen new cars with no transmission dipsticks!
That's perhaps the biggest drawback when it comes to new cars.

My brother has a 2005 Caddy that he's been keeping on the road beyond what he normally would, due to the economics of getting a new vehicle. He had to replace the heater core, which if he took to the dealer to have it done would have cost him some big bucks.

Instead he ordered an approved aftermarket core, removed the dash to get at it (which would have been the lion's share of the labor cost) and after some effort got the part installed and the interior back together. It also involved taking out the front seats.

That's the way it is with a lot of cars now, getting at the problem usually incurs most of the cost of replacing a part. Actually installing the part once you get there is a snap. All you see when you pop the hood of a modern vehicle is a large plastic cowl covering the whole damn engine.

I can remember popping the hood on my old 60's Fairlane and actually being able to sit on the fender while I did worked on a very accessible and reliable engine. No More.
Old 23 March 2016, 15:35
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post
Our 2005 Odyssey just went TU a month or so ago with 250k on the clock. We're going to replace when some expected funds come in, and I've convinced myself I want an Outback. Has Subaru dealt with the head gasket problems I keep reading about?
No. Fuck them. Ask me how I know....
Old 23 March 2016, 22:12
Been There Done That

^^^^ Is that the 2.5 boxer?

Karl Childers
Old 24 March 2016, 06:30
Psalm 91:2

I'm a Ford gal. Either an Explorer or Expedition. In a 2016 Explorer now. Husband has the 2016 Escape (I don't like the way the front seats are made and they're not comfortable).

I get a new one every 2-3 years. Husband every 3-6 years.

The older I get the more the garage door opening tends to shrink so guess I'll stick with the smaller Explorers.

Though if I could get hold of a fully restored early 80s Ford Bronco I'd probably buy it. And if someone handed me a Hummer H1 loaded I'd take that too. My neighbor has one of the last ones to come off the line. Drop down night vision. Think he gets like 9 MPG but I'd love one. It's his baby. Won't fit in his garage so he had a special one built. I've driven it once up the street which is one time more than his wife or so she claims. Told her it was cuz I owned shotguns & she doesn't.

Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed. Bob Riley
Old 24 March 2016, 19:05
Authorized Personnel

My personal experience:
Ford products have issues. The gas tank on my wife's Lincoln MKX (Similar to the Ford Edge) rusted FROM THE TOP. $3600 fix. The transmission slipped in low gears. No fix even under warranty as the dealers could not reproduce the issues. Off the record, Ford mechanic knew of the issue.
I have a Ford Escape provided by my company. It's loud at highway speed. Nice in good weather. A turd in bad weather. You will replace the transmission and clutch under warranty. Then hope it lasts for the life of your ownership.

I'm shopping for a family hauler.
I had an older Avalanche. Smooth and quite. Not much of an offroader. Just a big luxury car with a bed. I test drive GMC full sized pickup last weekend along with a Yukon. Great rides. Powerful and smooth. I love them.

Test drove a 2016 4Runner. It felt cheap and under-powered for the price ($45K). The King Tundra was to my liking but the GMC guys want to deal. Toyota did not.

Test drove an LR4. It's the best thing I will never buy. My wife would kill me. I might just go get it. Shit. I can't. Need to pay for my kids college first. Fuck it, they can work their way or join the military. I really loved that car.
It's a 340HP, luxury sex pot, mountain goat that seats 7. Drool.

Probably go for the Yukon at half the price since I plan on long vacations with the family and my dog. I need the room.

For a cheap crossover, the Honda CRV is a great vehicle.
Old 24 March 2016, 19:10
Authorized Personnel

Seeing a lot of Subaru talk in this thread. They are great cars. Ride is little rough and the road noise is a bit much but it;s a great care for the price and a solid value. We picked the CRV over the Subaru for the daily hauler but only because we got a hook up on a deal. Subaru and rainbow stickers are a common sight in NY/VT region.
Old 24 March 2016, 19:31
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by e5wsf View Post
Subaru and rainbow stickers are a common sight in NY/VT region.
Thus proving my point. Crossovers are Gay!
Old 24 March 2016, 19:39
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
Thus proving my point. Crossovers are Gay!
Motherfuckers are always driving 3 below the speed limit. ALWAYS!!
Old 24 March 2016, 19:43
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
I don't understand this gayness called a "crossover." Why not just get a USA labor built 4 door, 4WD truck? To me, a crossover is another symbol of pussification. It's a fucking minivan crossdressed to be hipster cool.
Because they are made as an option for people who dont need a big 4wd 4 door pickup. I drive a big lifted truck and love it, but when I drove my moms little Ford Escape it was really nice. Its easy to park, gets good gas mileage, it might even be a little quicker, and still has plenty of room inside. Would I replace my truck with one? No, because I like to be able to haul stuff when necessary, but its a nice option for women who dont want to drive something big like a Tahoe and dont want a truck.

Our new posting rules