SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Book Reviews

Old 29 April 2020, 21:35
Authorized Personnel

Looking for a book for my son

I'm in search of a good copy of Kephart's Camping and Woodcraft. While I could easily go buy it new off Amazon for $35 right now, I'm a big fan of things with history. That being said, if anyone has a copy of this book, whether it be both volumes in one or separated, I'd be interested in purchasing it from you. I would love to go hit up some of the old bookstores to see what I can find but COVID.

I'm starting this search a little late, his birthday is June 1st, but it took him forever to give any inclination as to what he wanted this year. He did not state this book but he has a copy of The American Boys Handybook and I think we've done most of the things in it at this point. He loves that book and it's always with him. His next great adventure seems to be camping, bushcrafting, and hiking. I'm all for it.

So let me know what you've got or if you have any leads to a good one. More points for history!
Old 29 April 2020, 23:26
The atomic zit

This one?

“The Book of Camping & Woodcraft: A Guidebook For Those Who Travel In The Wilderness
The Book of Camping & Woodcraft: A Guidebook For Those Who Travel In The Wilderness”
Old 30 April 2020, 07:49
Authorized Personnel

Yes sir, that's the one. I'm adding a link to confirm it for anyone else. There are some first editions for sale but I'd like him to actually use these (this) book.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/boo...=9781643890029
Old 30 April 2020, 16:13
Been There Done That

Why not create your own father/son history with a new book, build upon your memories with a fresh slate?--Look at this like it's something he will continue to build upon and hopefully pass down to his son...and all the history contained therein will belong to your blood, and the memories created will be through the first book.

How many books will be handed down 50 years from now? If it should be only one...one was worth the effort--but something tells me there will be more. Look at the Peterson Field Guides.
Old 30 April 2020, 19:16
Authorized Personnel

It's definitely a perspective and option. He's turning into me (shocker) and likes old things so I was attempting to satisfy that as well but I definitely have no problem buying a new one and starting our own legacy as well.

Have been looking at the Peterson Field Guides, too. Being that you suggested them, I'm going to assume that you have used and like them. Got a favorite one that was maybe more useful than others?
Old 1 May 2020, 03:28
Been There Done That

I like everything Peterson has done...
Old 3 May 2020, 11:19
been ***** **** that

I peruse Petersen field guides regularly and still have too much to learn. I keep them in the backpack when I head to the woods. They are invaluable!
Old 3 May 2020, 23:42

Eighteen bucks and change, new, free shipping...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...craft&_sacat=0
Old 7 May 2020, 13:09
Confirmed User

3 listed at https://www.bookfinder.com/

The Book of Camping & Woodcraft: 1906 Edition [Used]
The Book Of Camping And Woodcraft (Legacy Edition): A Guidebook For Those Who Travel In The Wilderness [New]
THE BOOK OF CAMPING AND WOODCRAFT: A GUI [New]
Judy Katschke
Old 7 May 2020, 17:00
Authorized Personnel

Thanks for links and assistance everyone. Ended up getting him a copy that contains both volumes in one. Additionally, a Peterson's guide to eastern plants and a nice waxed canvas and leather pouch to put them both in (in plastic as well). Should make for a good gift... I hope!
Old 8 May 2020, 06:19
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoChai View Post
Thanks for links and assistance everyone. Ended up getting him a copy that contains both volumes in one. Additionally, a Peterson's guide to eastern plants and a nice waxed canvas and leather pouch to put them both in (in plastic as well). Should make for a good gift... I hope!
You did good Pop!

Our new posting rules