SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Medical

Old 30 January 2019, 14:22
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
My hearing is going, although I'm not sure if it's really getting worse. It's a constant point of friction between my wife and I, it genuinely bothers me that she can't seem to understand I can't hear her and won't speak louder. My hearing didn't spontaneously regenerate over night. I definitely tune out in noisy social settings.
This is where I’m at. The wife who has known me since I was in 2/75, is constantly on me about it. It doesn’t help that when she is sitting next to me she’ll talk in a soft voice, or better yet, talk to me from another room. That said, I occasionally walk around like I can’t hear a thing that’s going on in the house.
Old 30 January 2019, 14:45
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger275 View Post
This is where I’m at. The wife who has known me since I was in 2/75, is constantly on me about it. It doesn’t help that when she is sitting next to me she’ll talk in a soft voice, or better yet, talk to me from another room. That said, I occasionally walk around like I can’t hear a thing that’s going on in the house.
Ah, yes - the wife. Mine has been on me to get a set for some time now. Problem is, the only person - and I do mean the only person - to whom I continually have to say "what did you say?" is her.

That said, 20 years on and around chinooks took its toll and I'm sure that it's only a matter of time....
Old 30 January 2019, 16:21
Been There Done That

huh?
"The nice thing about Twitter, in the old days when I got attacked it would take me years to get even with somebody, now when I’m attacked I can do it instantaneously, and it has a lot of power. You see some genius statements on Twitter. You see some statements coming out which are Ernest Hemingway times two." - The Trumpmeister
Old 30 January 2019, 23:13
Newbie shooter

My hearing is crap from a life time around loud music, loud cars, motorcycles, etc. I can't begin to wonder what its like for those of you around gun fire without ear/pro, explosions and the like.

like Mass said... its a constant source of friction with the girlfriend. She will talk softly, talk to me from another room, talk to me when i'm not looking at her, talk to me when I'm trying to concentrate on listening to someone else, or the TV.

I keep trying to explain to her that I'm not ignoring her, I just can't hear her, but it NEVER seems to get through. Also, she is constantly getting mad at me for speaking "too loudly."

maybe I should look into some hearing aids.

I def ALWAYS wear them at the range, and when next summer roles around, i'll probably start wearing them under my helmet on the motorcycle.

- Local
Old 1 February 2019, 13:56

Great thread.

I was just rechecked at VA and my hearing in both ears has worsened. The testing was easy, comfortable, and informative. New hearing aids in 3 weeks.

I was also given an MRI focused on my internal ear workings. They do that here per EENT to make sure there are no growths or lesions in the ear canals that might be causing a worsening condition.

Yep, Blue Tooth friendly and you can pump in "white noise" to further distract the ringing in your ears. Color choice of the hearing aids which is nice, and they are custom fit.

I concur. Get your hearing checked and re-checked as appropriate. The only drawback is going to be that I'll miss asking my wife "Did you just say something, dear?" :)
Old 1 February 2019, 22:00
0311/8651

Don’t ever say you lost your VA hearing aids- the dog ate one will work
Old 2 February 2019, 01:02
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAP MARINE View Post
Don’t ever say you lost your VA hearing aids- the dog ate one will work
I did tell them that the dog ate them and was told that I could only do that one time. New ones were issued very quick.
Old 2 February 2019, 10:29
Confirmed User

I have Tinitus and sever high freq hearing loss. I am a closed caption person, as I cant hear anyhting on TV without being real loud. I am only 51, does the VA even consider age for hearing aids?
These Blue Tooth ones sound great
Old 2 February 2019, 10:37
Been There Done That

I woke in the middle of the night again. I have decided that this screaming in my ears is directly proportionate to the sleep loss I have. I sleep best with my fan on high and a sleep aid, but only for about 4 hours or so. The VA will not even address my tinnitus anymore. It is what it is, is one of my least favorite sayings.
Old 2 February 2019, 10:42
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
I have Tinitus and sever high freq hearing loss. I am a closed caption person, as I cant hear anyhting on TV without being real loud. I am only 51, does the VA even consider age for hearing aids?
These Blue Tooth ones sound great
First time I asked about them I was in late 30s I'm 48 now.
It was noted I was FA and Engineers. Being former FA they didn't argue with me to much. Plus combat, IEDs etc helped my case. My audiologist did some pretty intense testing to find how bad my hearing was. Age shouldn't mean shit IMO. The VA I go to has been under a lot of scrutiny from Congress so that might be a factor.
Old 2 February 2019, 12:41

If you are not presently diagnosed by VA for hearing issues/loss; have your Veteran Service Officer (a "must have" asset these days for VA claims, IMHO) file a claim on your behalf. That will open the door for testing and possible proper diagnosis/rating and follow on support, if necessary, with hearing aids and so on.

DAV, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, VFW and other like organizations provide certified VSOs if you don't have one. County VSOs are also available por nada. If you aren't or don't get the service you need from a VSO - and some are less than stellar - just find another and transfer your claims work to her/him.

If you are post 911 veteran and not enrolled in VA Transition & Managed Care Program, strongly recommend enrolling. This is old OIF/OEF advocacy program and one of the few that works well regardless of where you live. T&MC staff are trained/experienced therapists/advocates who represent your VA needs. They can cut through red tape, help you with both VA and external services, advocate for you within the system, and a multitude of other things.

Takes the stress and time-consumption out of Self-Care.
Old 2 February 2019, 13:01
Confirmed User

I was diagnosed with hearing loss while in servuce and through the VA upon separation from the service..
Old 2 February 2019, 21:53
0311/8651

I’ve only met 1 veteran , a Vietnam vet who was 100% for hearing-he read lips.like I’ve stated on here, his 10% to 70% was because of quality of life.ill ask too about that 70 to 100%? Umm not sure how that came about

Our new posting rules