SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 22 April 2019, 10:06
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls View Post
There was some miscommunication on this. They were talking about use of force during robbery. I think (hope) anyone would use force to prevent physical harm. They meant that in a robbery only, they would flee or call the cops... whereas I argued that someone would be leaving my home in one form or another but it would definitely not be me. My takeaway is that Castle Doctrine/SYG does not exist here. But then again, her father agreed with me mostly so I have no idea what the actual laws are.

My takeaways:

1) If we're on the street and someone robs me for my watch or whatever, you can have it. I'm not putting up a fight. However if you enter my home and want the same watch, I'm going to react very differently and will absolutely put up a fight. I think that what they were saying is that "stuff" is not worth killing or injuring someone over. I disagree if you are inside MY home or vehicle.

2) I feel like most people (probably in the US also) try to escalate things as slowly as possible. Whereas I think many of us here believe in speed, surprise and violence as soon as something constitutes a threat. I am NOT waiting to find out someone's "real intent". I don't care if you have forced your way into my home for robbery, physical violence or just because you ran out of butter... my reaction will generally be the same.

Perhaps some got lost in translation, it ended up as a pretty serious argument. I would like to open it up again and get some clarification, but probably will just let it go to avoid a round 2 of family feud
You’re taking a big gamble in that case that they will not try to harm you. I wouldn’t bet on that. They are a threat.
Old 22 April 2019, 11:51
Never to old to learn

911 operator what is the emergency ,Someone is breaking in to my house.

Hang up the phone an do not answer it when they call back.
Old 22 April 2019, 12:13
Did...did I do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman43 View Post

The alternate advice I've heard is to put it on speaker and leave the line open, then start a play-by-play. "Get out! I've called the police and they're on their way. I'm armed and will defend myself. Etc."
Old 22 April 2019, 12:15
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post
The alternate advice I've heard is to put it on speaker and leave the line open, then start a play-by-play. "Get out! I've called the police and they're on their way. I'm armed and will defend myself. Etc."
Or just call after taking care of business..
Old 22 April 2019, 12:20
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post
Personally, I'm not calling anyone until it's over...but, that's just me!
Old 22 April 2019, 13:05
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
I probably won't be able to find my phone but am certain I will have to cool Ma down after she gets the hang of the double barrel I bought for her and Pa! Then maybe worry about 911.
Old 22 April 2019, 13:26
BTDT

Quote:

Pretty close. From Firearms Defense Lawyers:

Quote:
ARE YOU PREPARED TO MAKE A STATEMENT TO A 911 OPERATOR?

911 calls are admissible in court, so be mindful of what you say while on the phone with the 911 operator.

If you have just used lethal force to protect yourself you may be in a state of panic. You may not be able to think clearly. Adrenaline is running high in your system and your body is probably going to have a reaction, such as your hands may become shaky, you may not be able to remember what just happened (even though it just happened moments before), you may even have distortions of memory among other things. With these types of things going on is this the right time to tell a 911 operator what you believe just happened?

You should give the least amount of information you can. Such as the WHAT (“There has been a shooting”) and the WHERE (“123 Main Street”). Things such as I shot, or I was defending myself are admissions to you committing the action even though you may have a justifiable legal defense. The quicker you can get off the phone and contact your attorney, the quicker you can have legal representation. This is your first interaction with the Government and whatever you say can and will be used against you to prosecute a case against you.
Old 22 April 2019, 13:30
Never to old to learn

On the Late News last to Police officer shoot each other. in Sacramento Co.

There was a guy trying to break in a mobile home. One cop arrives chases the subject over a fence etc. Officer has his gun out telling the perp to stop an drop what ever he had in his hand.

Meanwhile, another officer arriver from a different angle, now both LEO have the weapon drawn. One in front an one in the back of subject

The subject reaches for something, an point it at one LEO.

AT this time both LEO's open fire striking the subject an end up shooting each other in the mean time.

Both LEO were treated an released from hospital.

NOW MY Question how are these two LEO's going to explain this an the ribbing they will receive from other LEO's.
Old 22 April 2019, 13:44
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdawg View Post
Best advice right here. My best friend is a Lawyer in Vegas. I only see him about every couple of years, but he has told me over and over. "If you get arrested, I don't care if it's for throwing garbage on the ground, you plead the 5th, have Deb call me and I'll handle it from there"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUEUG-e5w1I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTurSi0LhJs

Funny, but good advice.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 22 April 2019, 13:49
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Funny, but good advice.

Those dudes look like some liberty defending mofos! LOVE IT!! STFU!
Old 22 April 2019, 14:34
Clorox bearer for SOTB

Quote:
On the Late News last to Police officer shoot each other. in Sacramento Co.

There was a guy trying to break in a mobile home. One cop arrives chases the subject over a fence etc. Officer has his gun out telling the perp to stop an drop what ever he had in his hand.

Meanwhile, another officer arriver from a different angle, now both LEO have the weapon drawn. One in front an one in the back of subject

The subject reaches for something, an point it at one LEO.

AT this time both LEO's open fire striking the subject an end up shooting each other in the mean time.

Both LEO were treated an released from hospital.

NOW MY Question how are these two LEO's going to explain this an the ribbing they will receive from other LEO's.
Real life Mexican standoff...

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Old 22 April 2019, 15:04
killjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls View Post
But hey, if someone else's solution is just to stare blankly at some robbers, hoping all they take is the "stuff"
I knew a guy in highschool(hated him) who robbed a couple of women at their home. They were tied up and he had obtained several thousand dollars from their safe. At that moment, he had the "stuff" he came for.

Before he left, he said "no witnesses" and shot them both in the head execution style. He's now on deathrow, may he rot in hell.

I was actually jumped by him and a couple of his friends one night a couple of weeks prior, and later when I heard about this I was beside myself. I'll never assume a bad guy is there just for the "stuff" he came for.
Old 22 April 2019, 19:55
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
At that point, it's no longer an emergency, so I'll just call the sheriff's office instead of 911.
Old 22 April 2019, 19:57
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
At that point, it's no longer an emergency, so I'll just call the sheriff's office instead of 911.
Yep. There is no need to call anyone else other than them excluding your attorney.
Old 22 April 2019, 20:00
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Yep. There is no need to call anyone else other than them excluding your attorney.
My attorney lives down the street.
Old 16 May 2019, 22:24
Did...did I do that?

Weird Ninth Circuit Decision

I know, that title is redundant.

The Ninth Circuit, in U.S. v. Singh, upheld a ban against firearms possession by anyone admitted under a non-immigrant visa, under § 922(g)(5)(B). We've talked quite a bit about gun possession by aliens before; I thought this decision a little warped after reading this analysis by Eugene Volokh. There's an exception under 922 y 2, and a waiver under 922 y 3, but the circuit decision seems to make it very easy for the appropriate authorities to deny the waiver.

(The nonimmigrant classifications include: foreign government officials, visitors for business and for pleasure, aliens in transit through the United States, treaty traders and investors, students, international representatives, temporary workers and trainees, representatives of foreign information media, exchange visitors, fiance(e)s of U.S. citizens, intracompany transferees, NATO officials, religious workers, and some others).
Old 18 May 2019, 11:30
Aww F**K it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Funny, but good advice.
I love that! I tell my kids to be polite but don’t answer questions.

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Romans 13:4

Our new posting rules