SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 17 November 2018, 14:13
Policeman Officer

It just popped up without notice. I watched the first episode last night, it didn't grab hold of me as quick as the other seasons but Michael Pena is really good and I'm sure this will be a good season.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 18 November 2018, 14:03
Problem Solver

I'm through episode 4 and so far, so good. Some of the story has been Hollywood-ized but that's to be expected for a television production of this type.

Overall, the cast does a great job but Michael Pena is excellent as Kiki.

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 18 November 2018, 16:15
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
It just popped up without notice. I watched the first episode last night, it didn't grab hold of me as quick as the other seasons but Michael Pena is really good and I'm sure this will be a good season.
It started off slow but got better with each episode. They set up nicely for season.

This was big news nationally when it happened, and even more so in SoCal as Camarena was not only from the area, he was also a Marine.
Old 19 November 2018, 15:22
Confirmed User

I'm only halfway through the 2nd episode, but I like how they are setting up all the characters.

Kind of sucks already knowing about Camerena from this thread and the opening scene. It would have been a huge plot twist if it was kept secret until say close to the last episode of the season.
Old 20 November 2018, 09:16
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVmedic View Post

...Kind of sucks already knowing about Camerena from this thread and the opening scene. It would have been a huge plot twist if it was kept secret until say close to the last episode of the season.
I'm not trying to be a dick but the story of Kiki Camarena is not a "plot twist" or spoiler that needs to be kept secret just to make a television show more entertaining.

Old 20 November 2018, 15:53
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I'm not trying to be a dick but the story of Kiki Camarena is not a "plot twist" or spoiler that needs to be kept secret just to make a television show more entertaining.
For those too young to remember, the story of Enrique Camarena might not register.

I recall when it happened, it was a big deal in terms of showing just how violent the cartels were.
Old 20 November 2018, 16:40
Been There Done That

Pure corruption south of the border. We should have invaded Mexico, instead of Iraq. More of a threat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 20 November 2018, 17:17
Confirmed User

Quote:
Outside of this thread I didn't know the story, and the ending was put into the first scene.

I think it would have made the show much more climatic.
Old 21 November 2018, 00:30
Life is simple, not easy.

Quote:
Never heard of Kiki Camarena so I will give the show a watch.
Old 21 November 2018, 11:27
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post

For those too young to remember, the story of Enrique Camarena might not register...
Yeah, you're right. It's just that his story is a legend in the circles I've worked in and personally impacted some of the people I've worked with so I'm a little sensitive about it.

Old 21 November 2018, 20:19
Confirmed User

This was/is a very heartfelt show. My emotions were running high knowing that the Mexican cartel and government did this.
Old 21 November 2018, 21:38

Yeah it's even more fucked when you consider that it very possibly involved....fuck it, nevermind..
-CIAo
Old 29 November 2018, 15:24
Confirmed User

I'm on Ep 6 now. Still wish they didn't put that spoiler in the opening scene, I'm feeling like I know what's going to happen already. However, I'm not sure yet if they are going to kill Rafa, so it's got that going for it.
Old 5 December 2018, 20:53
Confirmed User

Finished! Can't wait for the 2nd season, I'm guessing El Chapo takes a bigger role.
Old Yesterday, 02:19
Life is simple, not easy.

I'm on E4 and I'm confused. Kiki's wife just had the baby after leaving Fresno for Guadalajara already pregnant, and you're telling me Felix built that empire in the time it took her to have the baby? What'd I miss?

Our new posting rules