SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old Yesterday, 14:27
Been There Done That

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
I donít buy the whole homeless vet thing. Many posers. Many that were not honorably discharged and there by their own actions. If a Homeless Vet is truly a Vet in need, many legit programs to help. And if he is claiming homelessness due to
Veteran related disabilities or ptsd - well then he can get enough disability rating that would at least cover oneís rent and food.
I don't believe there are as many as the media would lead us to believe. I have not roamed the streets in quite some time. I used to hang out around LoDo in Denver during the holidays and buy some tramps some chow every now and again. There were quite a few posers then. Today, if the number is anywhere near the number of SOG vets I have run into at happy hour, then it is awash with nincompoops. I do , however, feel that the number of deployments some of these folks have done since the GWOT has gone on has upped the ante a bit, but I would have to spend a few weekends on the streets to know for sure. Maybe I should don my GoPro , dress the part and do a segment!
Old Yesterday, 14:46
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by btq96r View Post
Small things can add up, and if someone is truly in dire straights, anything would be appreciated. I made the decision long ago to never give money to a panhandler, but I try to keep a few extra bottles of water or some cliff bars in the truck to hand out if I see someone aside from the panhandlers I can recognize on sight. I also don't need much excuse to part with leftovers on my way home from a restaurant. I had one homeless guy who was truly grateful when I gave him a slice of pizza and some wings I was taking home...didn't doubt for a second he was spending the night in the corner of a parking garage or somewhere else as rough, rather than being a panhandler for profit.

But I also agree that there are more posers out there than legit vets. That said, I don't have an issue giving a fellow human being of any ilk a bottle of water on a 90 degree day if I'm in a position to do so.
When I was living in Colorado I was always taking in vagabonds,I could not pass em up. The only ones I did not and do not have a problem driving by are skanky looking dude and chick combos I see. Attire and appearance are everything and when I was trampin, there was always a way to be presentable.

Our new posting rules