SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > International Jobs

Old 23 July 2019, 12:22
Policeman Officer

There is literally nothing you could tell me about Ugandan hijinks that I wouldn't believe without needing any proof.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 24 July 2019, 18:23
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
There is literally nothing you could tell me about Ugandan hijinks that I wouldn't believe without needing any proof.
Mine were good and showed up on time for shift. Sorry, no proof....lol
Old 24 July 2019, 22:14
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestboy View Post
Mine were good and showed up on time for shift. Sorry, no proof....lol
You had a small number of them that were actually screened besides being able to walk. My buddy has a very solid crew of them in the same place you were. I think with some effort you can get plenty of good Ugandans. Key word "effort".

"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

Old 24 July 2019, 22:42
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
You had a small number of them that were actually screened besides being able to walk. My buddy has a very solid crew of them in the same place you were. I think with some effort you can get plenty of good Ugandans. Key word "effort".

Is everyone else reading about Ugandans and hearing the word “Yessir” after each post?
Old 24 July 2019, 22:44
Policeman Officer

Ahem I believe it's pronounced "SAH!"

Old 25 July 2019, 07:54
Authorized Personnel

Yes Sah!
Old 2 August 2019, 23:48
Confirmed User

Our Ugandan Sgt Maj at BESF was solid AF and is/was making bank according to the economy in Uganda. Of course we had the knucklehead ex-pats (re: AMCITS) rubbing it in on how much they were making. Pissed the TCN's off (those that could understand English)

The Armorer was Ugandan, and earned his US citizenship, but lived in his native born country. He started out with DOS as a Ugandan, then earned his green card and came back on contract as an ex-pat. He owned 2 hotels in whatever major city is in Uganda and drove a new Mercedes. He told me he made as much as the General of the Ugandan Army. Solid guy!

It's all relevant when compared to what country you live in. $14/hr is YUGE for TCN's. (if it was even that much)

Funny story: The PM at the time (2016'ish) would pass by their table at the Dfac and when he heard the Peruvians speak Espanol, instead of Englis', he would have the Sgt Maj have them pack their bags asap and send them out on the next plane ride home!

Our new posting rules