SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 21 July 2012, 02:33
Puppy Pusher

Have you used them?
Old 21 July 2012, 02:42
Puppy Pusher

Double post... this one can be deleted... Sorry about that.

Last edited by K9Contractor; 21 July 2012 at 02:43. Reason: Double post...
Old 21 July 2012, 03:05
Policeman Officer

I have not. I don't show up in the vast majority of those sites anyway.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 21 July 2012, 03:39
Puppy Pusher

Good for you. I wish I could say the same but I cant... Im everywhere on those things from my life before LE... ahhh youth...
Old 25 July 2012, 06:44
Puppy Pusher

After doing a bit of research I signed up for the service at www.privacyforcops.org . I will post again with results after a few months.
Old 26 July 2012, 09:38
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Contractor View Post
After doing a bit of research I signed up for the service at www.privacyforcops.org . I will post again with results after a few months.
That looks interesting. I'd like to see them expand to cover other states (including mine). There is a LOT of legwork involved in tracking down all the repositories and points of contact, writing the letters, etc. I like the idea of a one-stop shop to take care of it.

"Butch up, prom queen"
-Wench
Old 4 August 2012, 12:12

For those LEO's who are allowed a take home vehicle and still want to maintain PERSEC and take advantage of the benefits of a take home, I suggest parking it somewhere else if possible. If it is allowed, I would park at the closest fire station or local police/sheriff department if possible. Just make sure it is within departmental policy and you have been given permission by the fire, police, or sheriff department where you will parking.
Old 4 August 2012, 12:55
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

The following is rhetorical, just thinking out loud.

I've always wondered how secure police academy or state law enforcement archives are. I know there are safeguards in place, but I wonder if they are often as silly as some of the errors we've seen private companies make in the past couple of years.

I hope you dudes stay safe....
Old 4 August 2012, 19:18
Authorized Personnel

I agree with a few others on this thread, depending on where you live and what your assignment is, most of the time, you cannot efficiently protect your identity from a motivated bad guy. You can slow him down and definitely keep him guessing. I took all the measures in Cali, but in Wyoming, it was just not possible, too small of a town with everyone ending up knowling everyone. As for SOTB thinking out loud, you are somewhat right to think that out loud. Most of the time the computer information and data is very secure, but getting on the grounds and walking through the building, not too difficult.

I just had a reason to go onto an academy to check some stuff out. I was able to drive right past the guard at the gate, drive all over the academy and get some folks to show me where the building I was looking for was. I never showed an I.D. I just kept smiling and waiving to everyone I saw.

I hope a bad guy doesn't get that far.
Old 5 August 2012, 13:30
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post

I've always wondered how secure police academy or state law enforcement archives are. I know there are safeguards in place, but I wonder if they are often as silly as some of the errors we've seen private companies make in the past couple of years.

In my state, academies are part of the state community/college system. I don't know of any separate security measures in place. You can bet I will ask when I next visit.

"Butch up, prom queen"
-Wench
Old 1 April 2013, 02:34
Puppy Pusher

Update on www.privacyforcops.org ... They have removed at least 80% of my info on the net. Overall I think it is well worth $25 a year but dont expect it to completely erase you from the net. But 80% is better than nothing I think.
Old 1 April 2013, 22:54
Authorized Personnel

Having spent the better half of the last year down range looking at police training facilities, and having attended 6 or 7 different academies for a variety of reasons CONUS, I will say that some of the least secure places I have ever been have been domestic police academies.

Weapons are generally restricted and normally locked in an armory (I understand the idea is to keep new cops from being stupid, playing with guns etc). Security was unarmed. Badging, identification, and access control procedures generally nonexistent. Finally, and worst of all, most had a component of criminal / trustee labor that could get on the ground direct intelligence on the facility itself.

Finally, and worst of all, facilities were generally accessible to the public. Very soft targets and totally unacceptable in my book.

Be safe,

DR
Old 2 April 2013, 01:06
sterious scizor

Ref the criminal/trustee labor...I'll never understand why this is used on LE facilities. I guess I can see other places, but I've had to button up my shop and move vehicles (my own doing, no one told me to) when the convict crew was bussed in to clean where my office is. Come to find out they actually caught one guy cache something for someone to pick up later. He buried a dead drop right next to my office....
Old 9 April 2013, 11:11
The Rat

This might have already been posted, if so I apologize. LEO s only, Texas will let you change your drivers license so that your listed address shows your agency address not your home. You can also have your residence removed from your county's CAD since those records are public information. Not hard either. A piece of paper and yiur credentials.

עין תחת עין‎
Old 9 April 2013, 12:08
Puppy Pusher

Colorado is similar but its a major pain in the ass. There is a form at the DMV that is just for law enforcement. Most of the podunk DMVs dont have the forms and have never seen or heard of them. You will have better luck down in Denver. Each county does it differently with getting your address taken off the published websites but that is also a major pain. Even if its off the web there are other ways to get the info which is a horrible idea.
Old 6 May 2013, 16:19
Confirmed User

Not a LEO just thought this was good info, delete if unnecessary.

One thing that I have ran into recently that I thought prudent to post was that while many posts on here have talked about family and their role in PERSEC, none have mentioned jewelry (that I have seen)

As of late I have seen many cops kids/wives etc. wearing little badge charms. Probably not the best and something to be avoided.
Old 20 May 2013, 18:59
Confirmed User

PERS SEC options

I'm Ret LEO. But am still active in other venues. Several extra things I do for PERS SEC is to use a pseudonym and a P.O. Box. Whatever I purchase online is not in my real name. Even when signing in at the gym I use a pseudonym. Lic Plate 's can be processed as confidential through DMV (check with ur agency). Do not be complacent! I was followed home by two dirt bags once. Things sometimes happen just like in the movies. I carry 24/7. It just becomes a part of you; Gun & ID. Also, consider motion detector lights at your PR, as well as an alarm sys. "Be careful out there!" And remember, keep training, stay sharp, why should you stop!
Old 29 June 2014, 02:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Contractor View Post
Update on www.privacyforcops.org ... They have removed at least 80% of my info on the net. Overall I think it is well worth $25 a year but dont expect it to completely erase you from the net. But 80% is better than nothing I think.
Would anyone happen to know if there is a similar service offered to members of the military?
Old 15 September 2014, 21:05
On the Extract Bird

There was a time when I thought this was important. Having been the target of death threats from the Bloods twice in a short period of time, I was convinced they were stalking me and mine. Maybe they were....I guess I'll never know. But over time I let it go, post in my own name, stopped trying to hide anything and everything about me, and out it all in His hands.... I get it, those of y'all still serving your communities, and I hope you all look forward to the day when you are retired, and the threats you may have faced are all dead or doing life without parole. :)
Old 15 September 2014, 23:20
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post

Supposedly this came up in a UC investigation.

Criminal type was bragging of his plan to a UC type. The plan was to lowball a bid to take class pictures at the FLETC academy in Glynco GA. After doing this for a few year the criminal type would have a pretty big data base of Feds. Criminal type was then going to sell the data base to the highest bidder. Around 96 I was told hard copies of all class photos at FLETC were destroyed because of this. Hind site, since I know of links to certain class pictures I have to wonder if the was a quasi pre internet rumor. Sort of like a dead baby stuffed full off drugs type thing.

Our new posting rules