Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 17 January 2018, 08:38
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
...To many it’s been obvious that the Bitcoin markets are, at the very least, being manipulated by one or two big players. “This paper identifies and analyzes the impact of suspicious trading activity on the Mt. Gox Bitcoin currency exchange, in which approximately 600,000 bitcoins (BTC) valued at $188 million were fraudulently acquired,” the researchers wrote.
Mt. Gox shuttered in 2014. I don't know BtC inside and out, I wonder if the system is exactly the same as it was 4 years ago, or if they have implemented anything to try to cut down on the manipulation?

That study was a collab between 1 prof and 1 student ea., from Tel Aviv and Tulsa, OK.
Old 17 January 2018, 08:41
Vivat Fraternitatis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Mt. Gox shuttered in 2014.
The founder of which...founded Ripple and Stellar.

Lol. #cryptothings
Old 17 January 2018, 09:18
A/1/75

XRP is down to $1.07....time to buy?

Charlie
Old 17 January 2018, 10:55
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerCharlie View Post
XRP is down to $1.07....time to buy?
If you believe, yes, in my far from expert opinion.

I don't think it's over for Ripple by a long shot. A lot of people got in to try to make 10,000% in a month and at the first negative news everybody tried to bail at once. I think it will go back up, but in a more stable and controlled fashion.

Again, I only bet what I could afford to lose, so if it dies completely....okay whatever. I learned a lot actually along the way. If it goes back up like I think it will, I will make some decent money on a small investment.
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 17 January 2018, 11:00
Confirmed User

The exchanges and governments are really cracking down on things. The exchanges are especially coming down on bots and pump clubs. That is a good thing for crypto in the long run. But bad for day traders right now.
Old 17 January 2018, 11:30
Confirmed User

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...ble-just-burst

Interesting and IMHO and likely ignorant option, a fairly comprehensive view of the recent downturn of the crypto market with a historical comparison of other bubbles.

I do not think this is a bubble. It is a tech in its infancy with more speed and reaction than what the Internet craze had to deal with.

“Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
― Thomas Jefferson
Old 17 January 2018, 12:31
Confirmed User

Markets also seem to act in highly volatile natures as well. Rapid growth upward, and even more rapid trends down when the music stops and everyone rushes to find a chair.

I saw in an interview with Jim Rickards that BoA bought a shitload of BTC in order to purposefully short the market. Not sure if true or not, and Rickards is always pimping Gold out, but he does always seem to speak with grains of truth on big-picture financial matters. In other news I'm always pissed whenever I see "futures" contracts term being applied to something. Whenever I see that, I just translate that into "we're rigging this shit now" from the banking/financial shitheads. That kind of stuff should be straight up illegal. This time with BTC.

I don't think BTC or crypto is going anywhere. Because apparently VISA is hiring blockchain gurus to come work for them. What I do see is the big boys using these dips and market trickery to scoop them up in order to control them. If the crypto markets are the next financial wild west, the banks are basically setting up their Pinkerton squads in the form of price manipulations to metaphorically burn people off their land keep anyone 'undesirable' (i.e. anyone not 'in the club') from gaining any sizeable market share.
Old 17 January 2018, 20:02
Confirmed User

Looks like we have hit bottom. Prices are stabilizing and are actually going up by the minute! Bitcoin was going to the $10k mark and each time it dropped below, there was a bunch of activity of folks buying back. Since then it slowly started climbing again settling at $11k. Most of the 'strong' coins are seeing 20-40% rebounds so far. Ripple went from $1.02 to $1.32. Neo is back up to $145 and Ethereum climbed from $850 back to above $1,000.

Tron doubled so far to 0.075 and Dent went up to 0.05. Don't get why those two are coming back so strong???
Old 18 January 2018, 09:38
Supporterator

XRP community say this is the reason XRP is worth your money...

https://ripple.com/solutions/source-liquidity/
Old 18 January 2018, 19:46
Authorized Personnel

Did anyone see when Bloom (BLT) 10x'd because someone forgot a zero on their BLT/ETH bid order? I woke up to a couple extra thousand dollars showing in my Blockfolio. Sadly, it is back to normal now. Talk about a costly mistake...
Old 19 January 2018, 13:41
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Imagine the day when no more BtC can be mined
As I have said a million times: the fundamentals are sound. An increase in value is inevitable.

But we must play a long, patient game, and avoid temporary distractions.

The best strategy: Buy it and forget about it. Check it once a month.
Old 19 January 2018, 14:20
Supporterator

Quote:
Originally Posted by magician View Post
As I have said a million times: the fundamentals are sound. An increase in value is inevitable.

But we must play a long, patient game, and avoid temporary distractions.

The best strategy: Buy it and forget about it. Check it once a month.
Glad to see your commentary back in this thread, magician.

Like you, I see the potential of this stuff beyond making a quick buck. And,as a store of value, btc aint going anywhere.
Old 21 January 2018, 21:12
Authorized Personnel

I opened my Blockfolio app earlier today and it showed DRGN up to $1,000/ea (It has been around $3.00 lately and the app had a glitch today). I'm hoping that it was a glimpse into the future and that DRGN will make me half a million dollars.
Old 21 January 2018, 22:50
Confirmed User

I would have been clicking "Sell DRGN" like a madman! Looks like everything is down a bit again. Can't wait for June. Seems to always start the climb then.
Old 22 January 2018, 00:17
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoChai View Post
I would have been clicking "Sell DRGN" like a madman! Looks like everything is down a bit again. Can't wait for June. Seems to always start the climb then.
Blockfolio is not an exchange, just an app for tracking the coins/tokens that you input into their system. There is no way to sell or buy via Blockfolio.

But yeah, I would have sold 75% immediately if that had been on an exchange.

I have become somewhat obsessed with checking prices, but I don't buy/sell/trade anything. Holding until the ~$500k portfolio is the real deal.
Old 22 January 2018, 08:30
Confirmed User

Gotcha. Somehow the Blockfolio part evaded me. We are now holding what we have as well and waiting for similar goals. We made our quick money that covered other things and now we are viewing it as additional retirement. Plus, I got sick of checking prices throughout the day.
Old 22 January 2018, 11:04
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBum View Post
The founder of which...founded Ripple and Stellar.

Lol. #cryptothings
Speaking of these two.

Anyone have any thought on one vs the other? I own a chunk of Ripple but wondering why I don't have some Stellar. I would think IBM being involved would be good for business.

Talk amongst yourselves, I'll listen.
Old 25 January 2018, 13:36
Confirmed User

To those in the know, Robinhood is setting up a mobile app to trade crypto commission free. Anyone use them for stock trading or have checked them out? How are they making money?
Old 25 January 2018, 14:19
Confirmed User

I have been following them for a bit. They will not offer zero fees forever. They want to build the base up and release there own token then the fees will come. Still coinbase is just a terrible way to do business and companies like these guys are going to crush them unless they adapt quickly.
Old 27 January 2018, 11:54
Confirmed User

If we went to a purely crypto society, would there be anyway someone could counterfeit a crypto?

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan

Our new posting rules