Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 14 January 2018, 12:54
Been There Done That

Jeez, kids these days.

Old timers from the 60's, 70's and early 80's. The Red Horde pours through the Fulda Gap. Tactical nukes are going off everywhere. Plot the blast, down wind drift, MOPP up and drive on.

Yeah, Big Army used to plan and train for that one.

"What about military dependents?" "We'll get them out." "Yeah, right."

Too bad Red Storm Rising came out as the horde collapsed. Would have made a great movie.
Old 14 January 2018, 12:56
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
Normal people don't have any idea what to do during a nuclear attack because they aren't sick fucks who endlessly ruminate on the end of the world. They actually have lives to live and kids to raise. When you do those things you typically don't spend your day fixated on morbid shit.
Really? I guess everyone who raised a family and also understood the threat of a nuclear attack in the 50's, 60' and early 70's were sick fucks then.

The actual issue isn't that people know or don't know exactly what to do during a possible attack, it's that people are scared of their own shadow now and react just like the gov has conditioned them to react.

Doesn't take much training to logicially think through an issue and make a couple of proper decisions.
Old 14 January 2018, 13:05
Been There Done That

I was a dependent in elementary school living on a SAC base during the Cuban Missile Crisis. 2 or 3rd grade IIRC.

We drilled at school. Plan was all children within a couple of minutes walk of the school were sent home. Everybody else brought a blanket and pillow to school in a bag and it was stored in the utility tunnels under the classrooms.

Alarm bell would go off, walkers assembled in front of the school. Everybody else - the classroom teacher opened the trap door and dropped her chair in, all the kids filed into the tunnel, she dropped in and closed the door. Did that at least once a day.

Being a B-52 base we were pretty high up on the targeting list.

We all grew up normal and none of us suffered from PTSD.
Old 14 January 2018, 14:17
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAPete View Post
I was a dependent in elementary school living on a SAC base during the Cuban Missile Crisis. 2 or 3rd grade IIRC.

We drilled at school. Plan was all children within a couple of minutes walk of the school were sent home. Everybody else brought a blanket and pillow to school in a bag and it was stored in the utility tunnels under the classrooms.

Alarm bell would go off, walkers assembled in front of the school. Everybody else - the classroom teacher opened the trap door and dropped her chair in, all the kids filed into the tunnel, she dropped in and closed the door. Did that at least once a day.

Being a B-52 base we were pretty high up on the targeting list.

We all grew up normal and none of us suffered from PTSD.
Pete

Your just in denial
Old 14 January 2018, 14:30
Confirmed User

Most of the schools built in Poland during 60s-70s, the so-called tysiąclatki, followed a construction pattern that allowed them to function as hospitals during nuclear war. They were not necessarily meant to save the kids and teachers, but to help soldiers. Some buildings had dedicated heating plant, several (not all) had dedicated shelters, many of them had temporary walls that, when removed, transformed one floor into one big room, and so on. Many shelters were often completely unknown to the teachers. Most, if not all of these schools were placed in areas where they would be able to serve the military during war (in close proximity of a athletic stadium that could be used as a helipad, for example). Also, they usually had lots of space around the buildings - parking space for military equipment and vehicles.

People were taught all survival techniques that were applicable for NBC attack, but no one had any illusions about what would happen if NATO decided to bomb Poland to halt the advance of Soviet ground forces. It was more or less placebo but the lessons stuck, and when Poland freed itself from communism the lessons continued using updated technology and knowledge.
Old 14 January 2018, 14:36
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul85 View Post
Is there a chance that this "accident" was no accident but a deliberate test to see how people would react?

My thoughts as well. It is a really good way to start the conversation for people who have had their heads in the sand to start considering the possibility of a Nuke strike. Hopefully people will start being more prepared and paying attention more. not holding my breath though.

Just had this conversation with the family that a more prepared society is a safer society after the event because people will have the basics of what they need and might not turn into the swarming hoards of rioters, looters and savages or at least not as quickly.
Old 14 January 2018, 14:51
Been There Done That

Duck and Cover

Duck and Cover

The full version of the 1951 Duck and Cover clip.

You have to put up Burt the Turtle at the start.

Link

This was shown to kids during the 50's. Put through calmly and straight forward. How do you think modern kids would handle an updated version?
Old 14 January 2018, 15:03
Confirmed User

I don't know how much more effectively prepared one can be on an island than to have sunscreen and a umbrella handy. There was no time to access anything even sitting at home. (I was working on my jeep at the time). Lots of traumatized folks. Class action anyone?

Last edited by TC Strat; 14 January 2018 at 15:08. Reason: Spelling
Old 14 January 2018, 15:09
Authorized Personnel

Back in the day, some of the larger horns (called civil defense sirens) were powered by old Hemi's, at 331 cubes those things would wake up large neighborhoods.They would rotate, creating a haunting sound, even at close range.

The greatest concern while on your knees, under a desk, was glass windows being burst and the shards sticking in you. Teachers were not fearful of the truth and would explain that you would only delay the inevitable, which was death. We lived just outside D.C. Bethesda.

Most kids don't know about the two triangle symbols on the AM radio dial.

My uncle always tried to keep kept the cars gas tank at least 1/2 full in case we had the chance to leave town, early prepping.

Today, our own politicians, wearing pussy hats, who give in to all those who have declared war on us, are a bigger threat than the huge stockpile of nukes.

I tend to ramble, but this incident brought back some old memories.
Old 14 January 2018, 15:18
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Nope, nothing to see here. All of the pedos and animal abusers in a 50mi radius just happened to leave town. They don't want to be found, so don't look for them.
I like the way you think.

"And thus I clothe my naked villainy with old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil."
- Shakespeare, Richard III.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, "Seven Pillars of Wisdom".
Old 14 January 2018, 15:29
Confirmed User

Quote:
Is there a chance that this "accident" was no accident but a deliberate test to see how people would react?
Not a chance.

The Hawaiian State Gov is that inept and fucked up.
Old 14 January 2018, 16:07
Confirmed User

Quote:
Back in the day, some of the larger horns (called civil defense sirens) were powered by old Hemi's
Chrysler-Bell Victory air raid sirens? I researched that topic a while ago. That thing was loud.
Old 14 January 2018, 16:58
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
Really? I guess everyone who raised a family and also understood the threat of a nuclear attack in the 50's, 60' and early 70's were sick fucks then.

The actual issue isn't that people know or don't know exactly what to do during a possible attack, it's that people are scared of their own shadow now and react just like the gov has conditioned them to react.

Doesn't take much training to logicially think through an issue and make a couple of proper decisions.
Right. They rehearsed having their kids get under the desks at school during an attack, a meaningless gesture that served only to make an entire generation live in fear of a nuclear holocaust.

I think shitting all over our fellow citizens because they haven't been taught by the government how to react to a potential nuclear attack is pretty low.

If the government wants to have these early warning systems on the phone, fine. When the message goes out it should have a .pdf attached that delineates precisely what folks are expected to do.
22 Aug 17
Old 14 January 2018, 17:09
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Chrysler-Bell Victory air raid sirens?
I don't remember the 'bell' part, just that Chrysler provided the engines. Even the exhaust note was loud, as there was no need for a muffler.

8c6d6aeb38c71f43d578a636cc5d7876.jpg
Old 14 January 2018, 17:54
Confirmed User

For the experts here, What would be the appropriate measures for civilians in an urban area to take if the civilians received a text that a nuclear missile was coming their way?
Old 14 January 2018, 18:08
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardo View Post
For the experts here, What would be the appropriate measures for civilians in an urban area to take if the civilians received a text that a nuclear missile was coming their way?
Depends on a lot of things

Yield of the weapon, altitude, distance from the center of impact and your location - top floor of a multi story building, basement of a one story brick ranch or somewhere in between.

A Nuke aimed at Hawaii and - WE"RE ALL GOING TO DIE - is Bullshit.

So get away from windows and in the most solid structure you can and pray you're far enough away from ground zero.
Old 14 January 2018, 18:30
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardo View Post
I am no expert but at least be ready as there is absolutely no way to tell where an impact might happen, Air burst, land strike or in the ocean somewhere. 1st Prepare for the aftermath and fallout and the long term survival issues with your own security then clean up and reconstruction.

If it actually happens seek any underground shelter and if you are far enough away or in a geographically sheltered area from the initial blast you will need those preps to survive and help others if you can in the long struggle afterwards. Hawaii is small enough that prevailing winds might not effect the entire island chain and there might be more survivors then people think.
Old 14 January 2018, 18:44
Administrator

Quote:
Right. They rehearsed having their kids get under the desks at school during an attack, a meaningless gesture that served only to make an entire generation live in fear of a nuclear holocaust.

I think shitting all over our fellow citizens because they haven't been taught by the government how to react to a potential nuclear attack is pretty low.

If the government wants to have these early warning systems on the phone, fine. When the message goes out it should have a .pdf attached that delineates precisely what folks are expected to do.
An entire generation living in fear of nuclear holocaust? Hyperbole much?

You may also want to get your facts straight. Plenty of other info was known on what to do beyond just getting under desks.

Guess they're all sick fucks....
Old 14 January 2018, 18:53
Confirmed User

Quote:
What?
Hawaiians knew about the scenario. For a while now. There is no excuse for not at least having "threat-assessed" the scenario even in a casual way if you're a resident. But, when faced with that scenario they proved they were, largely, a bunch of fucking panic monkeys that became even more useless than a bunch of blithering hyperventilating idiots destined to become another dead twig on the tree of evolution.

And anyone that depends on the govt to do for them, what is so ridiculously easy to do for themselves, is a fucking useless strap hanging drain on society. And tens of thousands just provided immutable proof that is what they are. They are more than deserving of mockery and ridicule.
Old 14 January 2018, 19:02
Confirmed User

Quote:
if the civilians received a text that a nuclear missile was coming their way?
I can only relate to what I was taught and what I trained during civil defense classes.

If at home, I'd turn the water on and start filling the tub and sink with water. Because there might be none after the detonation.

I'd hide in the center of house/apartment far away from windows. Grab my small backpack with med supplies, basic survival tools that I have at the ready and wait for detonation. What I do next would depend what the world around me looked like after the warhead went off.

Our new posting rules