SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 15 January 2018, 09:30
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
'General Patrick O'Reilly North Korea'. He did a Vox interview and said we'll splash anything they might send in the future with very high probability.
With all the fail-safes that must exist on an emergency warning system (can't just be one accident-prone button IMO), I have to wonder if we've already "splashed" one or two. Wasn't there one recently that did a 180 and went back to North Korea?
Old 15 January 2018, 09:34
Vivat Fraternitatis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
Why anyone has gov alerts enabled on their phones is another question, unless there's an override option I'm not aware of.
It's this.

The FCC began the implementation of the Wireless Emergency Alerts system about 10 years ago with an opt-in clause for major carriers. Most major carriers opted in. The system has an override that pumps out an alert to all phones within a given geographic area through a dedicated channel.

Not sure about Androids but on iPhone you can go to Settings > Notifications > scroll down to Government Alerts to turn it off.
Old 15 January 2018, 09:37
Shakin' the bush Boss

Sort of like the amber alert thing I guess. I've never signed up for anything like that, but I get them.
Old 15 January 2018, 09:38
Administrator

I turned all of that off.
Old 15 January 2018, 09:40
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBum View Post

Not sure about Androids but on iPhone you can go to Settings > Notifications > scroll down to Government Alerts to turn it off.
Exactly. Phone doesn't dictate to me what I get.
Old 15 January 2018, 09:44
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Sort of like the amber alert thing I guess. I've never signed up for anything like that, but I get them.
yep, me too. Not sure how to turn it off. And it doesn't matter what state I'm in. I was in VA last year and I got one for there.
Old 15 January 2018, 09:51

Here in Switzerland we were continuously drilled (in the army and civil service) how to proceed in case of nuclear blast. Until recently, all new buildings, private or public, had to include an undergroud shelter, complete with filter and airlock. More to the point, it was "mandatory" to keep some basic stuff available. And most men in age of serving had their complete NBC kit at home (plus gun and ammo). There still is a complete list of what to do in the last pages of the phone book . Since nobody uses a phone book or just read it, I'm no sure it would be helpfull anyway
Old 15 January 2018, 11:09
Confirmed User

When the false alarm hit the news, I said to my wife that something about it really stinks. Even with generally incompetent people running the operation, it is inconceivable that a false alarm could be sent by "an employee" pushing the wrong button. So today, Gabbard (D-HI), apparently also in a panic, is calling for the POTUS to sit down immediately with rocket man. The event is filling out some of the details of a low-level scam to create a platform for attacking President Trump.
Old 15 January 2018, 11:29
Confirmed User

Did I read this right? The supervisor's name is MR. MIYAGI??

Somehow I think 'ol Daniel-san will be doing a lot of more 'wax on, wax off'....

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hawaii-...ing-2018-1-13/
Old 15 January 2018, 11:43
Confirmed User

Quote:
Although Ige said no one had authorized the use of the sirens, there were sirens.
Quote:
Miyagi said there is a screen that says "are you sure you want to do this?"
Quote:
they will be implementing changes
Yes they will. Now they have no choice...or do they?
Old 15 January 2018, 11:58
Authorized Personnel

I am suprised that Steve Harvey memes have not started showing up.

On a serious note... this sounds a great place for a check and balances such as having a office nug entering the command and a supervisor approving it prior to being sent out state wide.

I have the notifications function turned on my phone. I get amber alerts, Silver alerts ,weather alerts and here in Montana, wildfire alerts. Had a wild fire less than 2 miles from my home. Luckily for us, we did not need to evacuate.

America...a country founded by geniuses but managed by idiots
Old 15 January 2018, 12:06
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul85 View Post
Are You sure you want to do this?
Maybe they need a 'Are you Really, REALLY sure you want to do this?" screen prompt.
Old 15 January 2018, 12:58
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperpusher View Post
I said to my wife that something about it really stinks. Even with generally incompetent people running the operation, it is inconceivable that a false alarm could be sent by "an employee" pushing the wrong button.
Exactly. I mean unless it's Microsoft software.

I lean more toward "splash" one.
Old 15 January 2018, 16:05
Clorox bearer for SOTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
Exactly.

People are so ill informed they took this message seriously and lost their minds.

Why anyone has gov alerts enabled on their phones is another question, unless there's an override option I'm not aware of.
That's because the "news" is so concerned about who blew who for what in Hollywood, and what evil POTUS Trump has been up to lately, like calling a shithole a shithole, that no one knows what the fuck real news is anymore.

So there was a mistake made, someone stepped on their dick and sent out a false alarm, and everyone got sand in their collective vaginas over it. Well, big fucking deal. Fix the problem, and drive on. At least now, everyone who didn't know what the fuck to do, now has a general idea at least.

Would that be a defense to a rape charge?

"Well your honor, the Government sent this message to my phone that said we were fucked, so I grabbed the nearest fine piece of ass and..."

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Old 15 January 2018, 17:24
Been There Done That

911 audio reveals police knew within five minutes

"911 audio reveals police knew within five minutes that the Hawaii missile alert was false but it took 38 minutes before the panicking public was told it was a mistake"

Link

"....A minute after the alert was sent out at 8.07am, a Honolulu officer tells his dispatch center that he was getting flagged down by confused residents unsure where to go.

'We're getting flagged down by a lot of people on the street asking where to find the nearest bomb shelter,' he says.

Four minutes later, at 8.12am, officers were told the alert was a drill, the Mercury News reports...."

Bad situation for the cops to be in. They know after 5 minutes it's a drill but there's no way to get the word out to the masses,
Old 15 January 2018, 18:27
Sound off for equipment check!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAPete View Post
...Bad situation for the cops to be in. They know after 5 minutes it's a drill but there's no way to get the word out to the masses,
I don't buy this. At all. It's not the cops' job to undo this.

If the EMA can notify the public in a heartbeat the balloon has just gone up, they should also be able to send a "stand down/ we f'ed up" notification in the same length of time.

All these DOT "Amber Alert" highway signs, e-comm break-in technology on radio and TV stations, and cell phone emergency alert capabilities that have been in place for a while, and EMAs are saying they couldn't tell the public it was a mistake?

Bullshit.

It wasn't that they couldn't. It was that they didn't. And therein lies the puzzlement that begs the question why?

Who was it that suggested never to let a crisis go to waste?
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bi ghwm t hē his frēond wrece, onne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgēowes
Old 15 January 2018, 19:23
Reverse Apache Master

Maybe their alert system was hacked/compromised and they don't want to admit it to the public?

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon
Old 15 January 2018, 19:25
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longrifle View Post
I don't buy this. At all. It's not the cops' job to undo this.....
That was the point of my post. It's not their job to undo it - but they were the ones on the street getting flagged down. They could only reach the ones they talked with.
Old 15 January 2018, 20:07
I've got a gun too, mf'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS11 View Post
Maybe their alert system was hacked/compromised and they don't want to admit it to the public?
This seems like the Occams Razor answer to me.
- Bootsy Collins
"If you don't like freedom, for heaven's sake, pack your bags and leave"
- Rotterdam Mayor Ahmed Aboutaleb
"I appeal to all our citizens, no matter from what land their forefathers came, to keep this ever in mind, and to shun with scorn and contempt the sinister intriguers and mischief-makers who would seek to divide them along lines of creed, or birthplace or of national origin."
- Teddy Roosevelt
Old 15 January 2018, 20:22
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS11 View Post
Or, if I wanted to get the public to start taking this scenario a little more seriously, this would be a lot more effective than the typical "this is a test" (bathroom break) interruption of prime-time TV everyone ignores. Say in a run-up to war.

I just don't take ANYTHING from the media at face value anymore.

But, if that was the case...what about Guam?

Last edited by Tycon; 15 January 2018 at 20:33.

Our new posting rules