Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 17 January 2018, 17:41
Calculating Infinity...

^^what he(FUBAR) said... thumbs way up.

Last edited by Gumby2/6; 17 January 2018 at 17:46.
Old 17 January 2018, 19:22
Anesthetized User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul85 View Post
People panicked, probably needlessly...

Most likely not. I still recall very well as a child growing up in the '70's during the Cold War practice hiding under our desks in the event of a nuclear strike, like this would help. This may have effected some of the older folks.

How would you respond to a government agency charged with your safety telling you there is a missile inbound? Would you get the warning and disregard it? There is not a lot of places to egress to on an island.

You can only say "needlessly" after the fact.

https://
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Support SOCNET.
Old 17 January 2018, 19:59
regular speed jerk, not a high speed jerk

Of course Terminal Lance always with the funny take:
Old 17 January 2018, 20:05
Been There Done That

I also remember doing the bomb thing as a kid. The schools around here do the tornado and bomb threats still. I have heard some crazy comments going into buildings with bomb shelter sign and other comments like "These things really exist?" I believe the farther we go away from the cold war people forgot. They make fun of all those folks that are prepared and have bomb shelters. The section I worked before I got out have a running joke about it being the biggest orgy you have ever seen.
I may need the tin foil hat but I feel most Americans are stupid and have very little clue what goes on in the world and how fast it could blow up in their face.
Some of you may remember the USSR broke down and there was rumor of nuclear 15KT back packs went missing and weapons ending up on the black market.

William Tecumseh Sherman-
I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast.
Old 18 January 2018, 01:36
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavegnr View Post
Some of you may remember the USSR broke down and there was rumor of nuclear 15KT back packs went missing and weapons ending up on the black market.
I was once involved with something vaguely related to that. They weren't exactly backpacks as the rumor went, and they existed in at least two versions, an early one portable by a two person team and a later/larger/better/smarter version operated by a six person team. The problem with locating them, which initially created the panic rumor that they had gone missing or worse, was that there was so much corruption and falsification of paperwork in the production, assembly, transport, storage, and maintenance related to those devices that realistically even the Soviets themselves could not have honestly answered the questions of how many devices existed, where they were, and how many actually worked. By now the liquid contents of the larger design would have decayed to make the weapons much less useful, but I strongly suspect that if someone with bad intentions had gotten hold of either the rudimentary tactical one or a matching set of all six pieces of the strategic model in working order, we'd have noticed by now.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 18 January 2018, 03:40
Confirmed User

Quote:
You can only say "needlessly" after the fact.
That is true, however: I did say "needlessly" after the fact

The point I was trying to make in my previous posts was that even though the alarm proved to be a dud, these people might learn something from it. And they will actually take a good, hard look at themselves, their families and posessions and wonder: How to protect them? Sort of a wake-up call.
Old 18 January 2018, 11:31
Ditch Doc

I think you are giving people too much credit. Much easier for them to blame someone else for the panic, than be introspective.
Old 19 January 2018, 15:58
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
Repeat after me: No more than 2-3 posts per day, No more than 2-3 posts per day.....

FWIW - I think you are a good dude and earned a chair here through your 20+ years of service.
For the record, only 16years time in service (nothing special), got an offer from GE/MartinMarietta no one could refuse (damn cool gig). Then gave it ALL up for family in trouble, as most here would do in a heartbeat. Nothing special.

But thanks, Fubar. To correct the record..didn't quite make the 20. Should go get a Post Office job, I guess.
Old 19 January 2018, 16:54
Confirmed User

^It's probably not too late for u to join the Guard to finish out that 20.

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 19 January 2018, 18:25
Been There Done That

And some in NC get a jolt this afternoon

"Shearon Harris nuclear plant sirens sound false alarm"

LINK

"...A spokesman for Duke Energy, which owns the plant in New Hill, N.C. in southern Wake County, said the energy company is investigating what prompted the alarms to sound shortly before 1 p.m. The sirens prompted a flurry of calls to WRAL News and posts on social media..."
Old 19 January 2018, 19:04
At the Barn

My guess is someeon is hacking the systems and of course we are being kept in the dark. Imagine that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAPete View Post
And some in NC get a jolt this afternoon

"Shearon Harris nuclear plant sirens sound false alarm"

LINK

"...A spokesman for Duke Energy, which owns the plant in New Hill, N.C. in southern Wake County, said the energy company is investigating what prompted the alarms to sound shortly before 1 p.m. The sirens prompted a flurry of calls to WRAL News and posts on social media..."
Old 23 January 2018, 18:53
Confirmed User

When Hawaii pushed out a ballistic missile alert earlier this month, Gov. David Ige knew within two minutes it was a false alarm. But he couldn't hop on Twitter and tell everybody -- because he didn't know his password.

"I have to confess that I don't know my Twitter account login and passwords," Ige told reporters Monday after giving his State of the State address. "I will be putting that on my phone."

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/37330964/...itter-password
Old 23 January 2018, 19:19
Confirmed User

Legit excuse. ^

Our new posting rules