Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Book Reviews

Old 13 April 2008, 16:06
Sweep the leg...

About 60 pages into Blood Makes the Grass Grow Green by Johnny Rico...

And if in the next 20 pages it doesn't do a complete 180, I'm tossing it into the river!!

The author seems like a total loser and is big on repeating it to the reader over and over again. I let a buddy at work borrow it today just to see if maybe I was off on this one... well, my buddy (two tours in Iraq) just got back with me and the first thing he said was, "This guy is a fucking pussy!"

Couple of things off the top of my head-- Apparently he used the photo of a Recon/ Force Recon Marine for the cover. And in the photos there is a dude on a mountain top manning what I'm 99% sure is a 240B. In the caption it says, 'A soldier takes up watch on a sniper rife, this soldier in fact has never fired a sniper rifle.'
Old 13 April 2008, 18:17
Confirmed User

The Devil's Sandbox

The story of 2-162 Inf, a NG unit in Iraq. In particular, it deals with the action in Najaf. A "grunt's" viewpoint written by a journalist. I highly recommend it if for nothing else it presents the unique perspective of a National Guard outfit in some heavy combat.
Old 14 April 2008, 03:52
Greenhat
Visitor

War Stories of the Green Berets

Inconsistent quality due to the variations in writing style and tone, but still worth reading.
Old 15 April 2008, 04:47
Sweep the leg...

Blood Makes the Grass Grow Green is fuckin' horrible!! Total garbage!!

Hopefully Borders has re-stocked it's shelves with new arrivals.
Old 15 April 2008, 18:04

Currently reading the text Diving Science, written by Michael B. Strauss, and Igor V. Aksenov.

It explains complicated things very well and is just what I need to supplement my academic readings.

USN Dive tables; Anatomy and Physiology; physics; medicine; it's all there.

I highly recommend it for anyone interesting in the subject.

Last edited by The_Dirty_Name; 15 April 2008 at 18:05. Reason: grammer
Old 15 April 2008, 18:05
Rocket Surgeon

Just finished "The Tipping Point" by Malcolm Caldwell, and Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose. Both were excellent, in very different ways.
Old 15 April 2008, 23:03
Greenhat
Visitor

Blackwater by Jeremy Scahill. This is an extraordinarily bad book. Regardless of your position on PMCs, the author's bias against success overwelms whatever else there is to be said.
Old 16 April 2008, 01:10

:o

From Shell Shock to Combat Stress: A Comparative History of Military Psychiatry by by J. M. W. Binneveld and Hans Binneveld

A War of Nerves: Soldiers and Psychiatrists, 1914-1994 by Ben Shephard

and a bunch of others books including rereading Catch-22.

I'm so bad at reading one book at a time -_-
Old 16 April 2008, 14:13

Altered Carbon

Listening to this one was nice and the naration was very good......

Altered Carbon (2002) is a hardboiled science fiction novel by Richard Morgan. Set some five hundred years in the future in a universe in which the United Nations Protectorate oversees a number of extrasolar planets settled by human beings, it features protagonist Takeshi Kovacs. Kovacs is a former United Nations Envoy and a native of Harlan's World, a planet settled by the Japanese yakuza with Eastern European labour.

Plot
In the novel's quasi-cyberpunk and somewhat dystopian world, human personalities can be stored digitally and downloaded into new bodies, called sleeves. Most people have stacks in their spinal columns that store their memories. If their body dies, their stack can be stored indefinitely. Catholics have arranged that they will not be resleeved as they believe that the soul goes to Heaven when they die, and so would not pass on to the new sleeve. This makes Catholics targets for murder, since killers know their victim will not be resleeved to testify. A UN resolution to alter this legal position forms one strand of the novel's plot, in order to allow the authorities to temporarily sleeve a deceased Catholic woman to testify in a murder trial.
Old 18 April 2008, 01:28
Sweep the leg...

Taking a break from military books, and trying something new.

This Present Darkness by Frank E. Peretti
Old 18 April 2008, 02:21
Banned User

Three Months in The Southern States by Sir Arthur Freemantle
He was sent by the King to evaluate Lee's Army and the treatment of slaves in the South.
Pretty interesting book.
Old 18 April 2008, 14:51
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoddude View Post
The story of 2-162 Inf, a NG unit in Iraq. In particular, it deals with the action in Najaf. A "grunt's" viewpoint written by a journalist. I highly recommend it if for nothing else it presents the unique perspective of a National Guard outfit in some heavy combat.
More like "the story of Bravo Company".

Then again, maybe the journalist types just got a colder reception from the rest of us.
Old 19 April 2008, 22:37
SOCNET Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grappler View Post
Taking a break from military books, and trying something new.

This Present Darkness by Frank E. Peretti
This Present Darkness wasn't bad.

Piercing the Darkness, the next book was.

The 4 Soldierly Values: Candor, Courage, Competence, Commitment

Ekky Ekky Ekky Ekky p-Tang Zoo Boing mumble, mumble
Old 20 April 2008, 00:06
Greenhat
Visitor

Just finished Flashman and the Tiger, and will start Flashman on the March. Hadn't read these final two Flashman books before this (have read the previous 10 multiple times), and they continue the trend very well (although Flashman and the Tiger is a bit different than the others in style). Unfortunately, with the death of George MacDonald Fraser at the beginning of this year, it doesn't seem that we will ever get to read a complete rendition of Flashman's exploits on both sides of the American Civil War, or of his involvement in the Sudan or the Zulu conflicts, or about his prospecting in Australia.
Old 20 April 2008, 08:48
My Heroes Wear Camouflage

Moment of Truth in Iraq by Michael Yon.

The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch with Jeffrey Zaslow
Old 20 April 2008, 17:33
Banned User

I just finished PSYCHOLOGICAL OPERATIONS AMERICAN STYLE – THE JOINT UNITED STATES PUBLIC AFFAIRS OFFICE, VIETNAM AND BEYOND: Lexington Books, Lanham, MD, 2007.

I didn't much care for it. I reviewed it for my guys like this:

This is a difficult book to describe. It is 227 pages with no illustrations and heavily footnoted so I assume that this was originally a doctorial thesis that the author decided to publish commercially. From the title one would expect that it would be a review of JUSPAO psychological operations in Vietnam. It is not. The author spends a good deal of time studying what has been written about PSYOP in the Vietnam War and taking the various authors to task. He blames much of the American inability to win the hearts and minds of the Vietnamese people on its false view of the Vietnamese as a backward, agricultural, Confucian society. He feels that America never understood the Vietnamese or attempted to learn what their actual needs and desires were, and thus were doomed to failure. He briefly touches on WWI, and then attempts to show how America thought differently about the German and Japanese enemy in WWII, seeing the Germans as technically and philosophically modern while the Japanese were considered superstitious and backward. He goes on to say that America misunderstood the Korean people during that war and thus was unable to change their minds through psychological operations. A typical comment is; “Despite United States Information Agency engagements throughout the 1950s in Asian societies such as Vietnam, the Philippines and Laos, the program proved either unwilling or unable to detect grievances that manifested locally to being about indigenous action.” In general, his thesis seems to be that the United States government and military because of some kind of institutionalized racism has not understood any Asian people’s thought processes since WWII. He indicates that President Johnson demanded that JUSPAO give the news a pro-American slant and says that Director Barry Zorthian reluctantly complied. He makes a case that both the USIA and JUSPAO had a prime objective of getting good press for the administration and the United States abroad, and neither ever understood the needs of the Asian people.

Right now I am trying to get hold of a book that discussed the OSS forgeries prepared in Berne. There is just one copy in the country so I don't expect to have much luck.

I would love to see the Kitson book on Guerrilla tactics in Rhodesia. One copy in Canada and they won't lend it out. I know reprints were made at Ft. Bragg on one occasion for a seminar. If anyone has a copy of Kitson please drop me a personal line. I know his work and really would like to read his book. I'll pay postage both ways.
Old 20 April 2008, 23:48

The Rommel Papers. Edited by Liddell-Hart.
Old 22 April 2008, 10:51
Scotty's Mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhat View Post
Blackwater by Jeremy Scahill. This is an extraordinarily bad book. Regardless of your position on PMCs, the author's bias against success overwelms whatever else there is to be said.
ROFLMAO!! Giant bias and petulance on the subject.

Just started 13 American Arguments by Howard Fineman. It's pretty good.
Old 22 April 2008, 18:45
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

I just finished reading a piece in the March/2008 issue of Wired about Titan Salvage and their successful operation to save the Cougar Ace off Alaska, a car carrier registered out of Singapore.

http://www.wired.com/science/discove...urrentPage=all

http://www.wired.com/science/discove...acowboys_video

They saved the ship, but they suffered the loss of one of their Naval Architects in a fall. A pretty motley group, and I mean that as a compliment. I don't know if you could pay me enough money to board a ship listing in the ocean at that angle.
Old 30 April 2008, 17:09
Nec Aspera Terrent

The Lunar Exploration Scrapbook: A Pictorial History of Lunar Vehicles

By Robert Godwin

http://www.amazon.com/Lunar-Explorat.../dp/1894959698

Found this book at my local model shop when I went in to start a new airplane project.

Well okay, you are correct, it is a heavily-illustrated work (hence the title), but given the subject it is about, I for one think it's a good thing it is.

The book covers some of the earliest designs, up to more advanced designs of the early-1970s for various types of space vehicles. These range from other company designs for the Apollo spacecraft and lunar lander, to spacesuits, rovers and docking modules, among other designs. Each design, ranging for a comically cylindrical spacesuit big enough for one to be able to eat inside the suit and roll onto their backs to sleep, to a winged/lifting body Proto-Shuttle variant of the Apollo or one-man scout fliers are inside.

Each entry is accompanied by CG-rendered illustrations of the item, photographs of a mock-up or production model, artist concepts, building schematics and most entries are accompanied by at least two paragraphs of information.

If you have an interest in the Apollo program, or space travel in general, this book should be of great interest. It's a great look at what could have been, as well as many projects and designs that never took off of the drawing board for whatever reason.

We are the middle children of history.
Born too late to explore the Earth,
born too early to explore space.

- Anonymous

"The foremost cartographers of the land have prepared this for you; it's a map of the area that you'll be traversing."

"It's blank."

"They'll be very grateful if you could just fill it in as you go along."

Our new posting rules