Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Book Reviews

Old 17 June 2008, 19:06
Greenhat
Visitor

The Summer of 1787: The Men Who Invented the Constitution by David O. Stewart

I'm impressed so far. Seems well researched and is well written. Explains a lot about how the US Constitution came into existence and why people like John and Sam Adams and Thomas Jefferson weren't there.
Old 20 June 2008, 15:20
Confirmed User

I just finished the first read of "The Strong Man: John Mitchell" by James Rosen.

For those of us of a certain age, the story of Watergate is very familiar, but like many media accounts, there is always "the rest of the story." Mitchell, who had been Attorney General, is the highest ranking official ever to serve time in prison. The author claims to have done a great deal of original research that led him to the views he writes about. It's a bit different than the generally accepted version.

I'll read it again a couple more times to let the "plot" details sink in.

I also have acquired and read "On My Honor" by Rick Perry, Governor of Texas, a defense of the Boy Scouts of America and the values the Scouts hold dear. I heard Gov. Perry discussing this book in a radio program interview here and found it very worthwhile. I happen to be among those former Scouts who is very supportive of Scouting and the role Scouting has played in our culture.
Old 21 June 2008, 10:17
Been There Done That

Just finished "Gomorrah" by Roberto Saviano.

It provides an excellent insight into the Neapolitan Mafia and how it has managed to not only create economic power which dwarfs Cosa Nostra, but also displays the eco-impact on the area through illegal dumping of hazardous materials.

I thought it was flat out fascinating. Would recommend it to anyone interested in seeing where your Nike sneakers and suits really come from.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 21 June 2008, 10:25
Greenhat
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad275 View Post
Would recommend it to anyone interested in seeing where your Nike sneakers and suits really come from.
I know where they come from. Been in the factories, dealt with the people who make the deals. Has absolutely nothing to do with the Napolitan Mafia (or any other mafia), which makes me wonder what this guy has written.
Old 21 June 2008, 17:29
Confirmed User

Greeks & Romans Bearing Gifts: How the Greeks and Romans Inspired the Founding Fathers by Carl J. Richard.

The book is interesting but I'm about 90 pages into it and so far it's just a very basic and very broad overview of Greek history at this point. Occasionally the author will drop a comment about how the Founders respected Spartan militarism while abhorring pretty much everything else about Spartan society, or how Athenian true democracy scared the shit out of Madison.

If he spends the next 90 pages on basic Roman history I don't see how he's going to be able to fit in anything about how these civilizations inspired the Founding Fathers. At least not in any signifigant/substantial way.

At this point I wouldn't recomend it. If it picks up I'll amend my position.
Old 21 June 2008, 22:17
hippies beware

Currently reading The Road, by Cormac Macarthy. He is the same author that wrote No Country For Old Men. This guy has mastered violence. So far, its an interesting read.

OOC, out

"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain

"All that we see is perspective, not fact...All that we hear is opinion, not truth."
--Marcus Aurelius

"The time you spent typing and formatting this post would have been better spent hitting yourself in the face with a hammer."
--Jimbo

Wise old man--"That woman was SEXY!"
Young lad--"She's out of my league."
Wise old man--"Look...let women figure out why they wont sleep with you...dont do it for them."
Old 22 June 2008, 00:12
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhat View Post
I know where they come from. Been in the factories, dealt with the people who make the deals. Has absolutely nothing to do with the Napolitan Mafia (or any other mafia), which makes me wonder what this guy has written.
What you have seen is part of the spectrum. What you have not seen is the identical stuff made in Campania.

Old 22 June 2008, 00:13
Been There Done That

Reading "Chosen Soldier" by Dick Couch. Some of the facts on Rangers are off (again mixing Regiment and Tabbed in one bag) but it seems like he got a good look into the whole SF training pipeline.

Old 22 June 2008, 01:42
Greenhat
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad275 View Post
What you have seen is part of the spectrum. What you have not seen is the identical stuff made in Campania.

Pirate copies?
Old 22 June 2008, 07:32
Sweep the leg...

On my to buy list:

The Sheriff of Ramadi http://www.usni.org/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=1695

Kill Bin Laden http://www.daltonfury.com/
Old 22 June 2008, 17:53
Confirmed User

I just finished Beyond Band of Brothers and Johnny Got His Gun. Both were excellent reads in their own rights.

I am currently reading The 9/11 Commission Report and Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion.
Old 22 June 2008, 22:43

I just finished a prerelease copy of "The Last Patriot" by Brad Thor. Action Adventure fiction. Was pretty good. Release date July 1.
Old 23 June 2008, 10:38
National Treasure

Just getting started with "Moment of Truth in Iraq" by Michael Yon. I've been following his dispatches for quite a while now. The book looks to be an expanded version of events. Recommended.
Old 26 June 2008, 14:06

"...Wars for the 21st Century...."

I haven’t posted in some time but while looking for something else I saw his thread and am just tossing my hat into the ring. I did a title and author search on this thread and didn’t see this listed, if it’s listed some place else I’m sure the moderator will re-direct this post. ….’Terror and Consent’ by Philip Bobbitt, former member of the National Security Council. He’s also and attorney so the reading is dense but well researched and written by someone who’s close to the subject.
Old 27 June 2008, 22:00

I'm on "See No Evil" by Robert Baer, "The true story of a ground soldier in the CIA's war on Terrorism."

"House to House" by SSG David Bellavia is on deck.
Old 28 June 2008, 01:25
Violent Social Worker

"House to House" is a great book, and actually pretty funny too.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 2 July 2008, 16:16
Midgetologist

I'm on a Waffen SS kick Grenadiers byKurt "Panzer"Meyer.Just started it good read so far.
Old 3 July 2008, 17:45
Nec Aspera Terrent

Chosen Soldier: The Making of A Special Forces Warrior

By Dick Couch

- Great read, it was certainly hard to put-down.

Next two books up for reading are:

The Goldilocks Enigma - Why is the Universe Just Right for Life?

By Paul Davies

And,

Deep Survival - Who Lives, Who Dies and Why

By Laurence Gonzales

We are the middle children of history.
Born too late to explore the Earth,
born too early to explore space.

- Anonymous

"The foremost cartographers of the land have prepared this for you; it's a map of the area that you'll be traversing."

"It's blank."

"They'll be very grateful if you could just fill it in as you go along."
Old 3 July 2008, 18:36
Sweep the leg...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofo View Post
Chosen Soldier: The Making of A Special Forces Warrior

By Dick Couch

- Great read, it was certainly hard to put-down.

Next two books up for reading are:
I think I now own all of Dick Couch's non-fiction books. I bought Chosen Soldier while in Iraq and ended up giving it to a soldier that was headed to SF Selection after returning to the states. I bought another copy for my bookshelf. He's got another book coming out in October called, The Sheriff of Ramadi.
Old 3 July 2008, 19:07
Nec Aspera Terrent

Quote:
Originally Posted by grappler View Post
I think I now own all of Dick Couch's non-fiction books. I bought Chosen Soldier while in Iraq and ended up giving it to a soldier that was headed to SF Selection after returning to the states. I bought another copy for my bookshelf. He's got another book coming out in October called, The Sheriff of Ramadi.
The title listing in Chosen Soldier says he has written (non-fiction only)

- Chosen Soldier

- Down Range

- Warrior Elite

- The Finishing School

- The US Armed Forces Nuclear, Chemical, and Biological Survival Manual

I heard about The Sheriff of Ramadi a few days ago. Sounds like an interesting read, so I got it on my Amazon.ca pre-order list along with more geeky titles. :D

It's the first Dick Couch book I've read, and due to that, I'll be getting Down Range soon.

We are the middle children of history.
Born too late to explore the Earth,
born too early to explore space.

- Anonymous

"The foremost cartographers of the land have prepared this for you; it's a map of the area that you'll be traversing."

"It's blank."

"They'll be very grateful if you could just fill it in as you go along."

Our new posting rules