SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 31 December 2008, 20:38
Confirmed User

AWOL

Hi guys. I'm in no way, shape or form associated with the military. I joined this site to read the great stories of the heros of our country. You guys do excellent work. I tried to join the Marine Corps ,but too many tattoos and medical conditions keep me out. Anyways, I know of a guy that went to basic training in the army and went AWOL. I have no military experience whatsoever ,but I think the kid is living with his parents now. How should this be handled? Should i report him?
Old 31 December 2008, 21:02
Overseas Gunplumber

txlowbrow,

Step 1. I would go to the main page and post a proper introduction as to who you are.

Step 2. I think you already know the answer. If you have solid information as to his status, and his whereabouts I would contact the law enforcement agency closest to his location and give them the information. They will then contact the appropriate personnel to deal with the matter.

I have been to some armorer courses.

Owner- Semper Paratus Arms, LLC
Old 31 December 2008, 21:18
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by txlowbrow View Post
Hi guys. I'm in no way, shape or form associated with the military. I joined this site to read the great stories of the heros of our country. You guys do excellent work. I tried to join the Marine Corps ,but too many tattoos and medical conditions keep me out. Anyways, I know of a guy that went to basic training in the army and went AWOL. I have no military experience whatsoever ,but I think the kid is living with his parents now. How should this be handled? Should i report him?
After completion of step 1, you could head to England. There is an AWOL USAF guy on the run with a $10,000.00 bounty on his head.

We are at war. Why would anyone not report someone known to be AWOL?

RF 1
Old 31 December 2008, 21:25
shiver me timbers

Isn't AWOL during a war considered desertion?
Old 1 January 2009, 19:09
Confirmed User

well i have second hand knowledge of him leaving basic training. he lives in a different state. So i'm going to have to find out where he lives and do some investigating of my own before i can call local authorities. I have heard that someone going awol during war time is punishable by death is this true?
Old 1 January 2009, 20:41
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltrane View Post
Isn't AWOL during a war considered desertion?
No.

And we are not at "war".

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/punit...es/a/mcm85.htm
Old 1 January 2009, 23:09
MSG Dman
Visitor

Personally, I have an issue with a person who has not served a day in the military getting involved in the status of someone who is. If he is AWOL, then let military authorities handle it. My opinion only.
Old 1 January 2009, 23:22
BTDT

If we aren't at war, I have been having some really bad dreams for about six or seven years now and need to explain to my wife and family why I have spent about 40 months away from home...

...so are we just "at odds"
Old 1 January 2009, 23:25
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Personally, I have an issue with a person who has not served a day in the military getting involved in the status of someone who is. If he is AWOL, then let military authorities handle it. My opinion only.
....but if the AWOL in question is hanging out at mom's house, hours from any military installation....chances are that the only one's who'll even know are non-military types. With any luck, they'll be the non-military types who understand civic duty and call the local PD.
Old 1 January 2009, 23:28
Been There Done That

Seriously, let the guy find his own karma, you don't know the whole story I'm sure.

Just imagine this, him or his family trying to do something honorably on their own but before they can, you fuck him over. Now who is the a$$hole?
Old 1 January 2009, 23:42
MSG Dman
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryfen-FL View Post
....but if the AWOL in question is hanging out at mom's house, hours from any military installation....chances are that the only one's who'll even know are non-military types. With any luck, they'll be the non-military types who understand civic duty and call the local PD.
Agree and disagree, if he is home with his Mom, then the military will be able to find him. I still make my original point.
Old 1 January 2009, 23:46
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdeth View Post
Just imagine this, him or his family trying to do something honorably on their own but before they can, you fuck him over. Now who is the a$$hole?
Anyone who gives his word that he will commit to an obligation, and ditches on it, is the asshole. 0b]NOT[/b] the person who holds him accountable.
What is the saying??? All that is needed for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing?

PA
Old 1 January 2009, 23:48
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Dman
Personally, I have an issue with a person who has not served a day in the military getting involved in the status of someone who is....
+1 And this goes for the silliness of those who get all giddy hunting "posers" yet have never served in the military, or those that were in the military, but not in the type of unit they are so determined to bust the guy/gal out for.

I'm sure that the military will figure out eventually that they have someone missing from their ranks and can ensure that he/she is dealt with appropriately....
Old 2 January 2009, 00:03
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussfpa View Post
Anyone who gives his word that he will commit to an obligation, and ditches on it, is the asshole. 0b]NOT[/b] the person who holds him accountable.
What is the saying??? All that is needed for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing?

PA

Well then he should get knee deep in this guys business, my bad.
Old 2 January 2009, 01:19
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by txlowbrow View Post
I'm not one to talk but you guys are both turds. Him for going AWOL and you for being a snitch.
Old 2 January 2009, 01:28
Authorized Personnel

A SNITCH!

It's not like the poor wee bastard was drafted.
He made a commitment, failed to follow through.
He SHOULD be snitched on.
Old 2 January 2009, 01:38
Banned User

He couldn't hack basic training so what. He'll probably turn himself in anyway or live with his parents the rest of his life. He's a turd, but so are those who involve themselves in other peoples business. I mean is he gonna get a reward or is he trying to justify it with a sense of duty?
Old 2 January 2009, 01:58
Authorized Personnel

there's a reward?

Who cares? The man has committed fraud and has proven himself to be an oath breaker.

The 'reward' would be getting him out of the A.O.
Old 2 January 2009, 02:07
Banned User

I'm not trying to defend the guy, maybe I just don't like tattle tells.
Old 2 January 2009, 02:08
Greenhat
Visitor

Suppose this guy was dumped by the military for "unable to adapt" from BCT?

There are a lot of assumptions being made regarding whether he is AWOL. If he is in fact AWOL and staying at his mother's house, I expect the police will come knocking at some point.

Our new posting rules