SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 22 December 2017, 18:48
Shakin' the bush Boss

Went out and hit one of the local lakes today. Was nice for late December. Ended up with 4 largemouth 2 smallmouth and a walleye. Have a bass tourney tomorrow so all the bass lived to see another day. I put the walleye on the fillet and release program.
Old 6 January 2018, 13:46
Shakin' the bush Boss

Ice fishing is not something we normally do here in Virginia, so I engineered these. T bar with a dropshot rig on the bottom with cut bait. Catfish hits it, t bar is wider than the ice hole, it stands up with the engineer tape flag. Set your coffee, heavily laced with bourbon down, walk over and get your catfish, re bait, repeat. Got 6 ready to set, as soon as the wife gets home I'm going ice fishing, southern style.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ice.JPG (162.3 KB, 154 views)
Old 6 January 2018, 13:56
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Ice fishing is not something we normally do here in Virginia, so I engineered these. T bar with a dropshot rig on the bottom with cut bait. Catfish hits it, t bar is wider than the ice hole, it stands up with the engineer tape flag. Set your coffee, heavily laced with bourbon down, walk over and get your catfish, re bait, repeat. Got 6 ready to set, as soon as the wife gets home I'm going ice fishing, southern style.
Nice man. That'll work great. Post more pics. Stay safe.
Old 6 January 2018, 14:12
Authorized Personnel

I've got small, clamp-on bells that are added to that setup, night fishing.
Old 7 January 2018, 15:43
Very Deplorable

Thumbs up

Quote:
NICE! Good luck!
Old 7 January 2018, 19:06
Shakin' the bush Boss

FUCK YOU CATFISH! I probably had 6 hours in this 12" catfish, but I'd be willing to bet it will be the only catfish caught thru the ice in Virginia this year. Ice fishing isn't a thing down here. I will not be outsmarted by a fucking fish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg catfish.jpg (52.1 KB, 129 views)
Old 8 January 2018, 16:17
Anesthetized User

Quote:
FUCK YOU CATFISH! I probably had 6 hours in this 12" catfish, but I'd be willing to bet it will be the only catfish caught thru the ice in Virginia this year. Ice fishing isn't a thing down here. I will not be outsmarted by a fucking fish.
So, make a cross and put the baited line on the short end and a flag on the long end?

No ice fishing for me in California.

Support SOCNET.
Old 8 January 2018, 16:18
Shakin' the bush Boss

Yeah, it pulls the short end in the hole and tips up the long end with the flag.
Old 8 January 2018, 16:22
Anesthetized User

Cool.

Support SOCNET.
Old 8 January 2018, 16:37
killjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatmedic View Post
No ice fishing for me in California.
Upper mountain lakes(toward Nevada) freeze over and I've seen folks ice fishing at some. I'd rather hit Tahoe for Mackinaw myself, but to each his own.
Old 8 January 2018, 16:37
Confirmed User

So I see the cross and the flag, and I see the line tied around you, were you the bait? And just what did the catfish latch onto? :)

I haven't ice fished in probably 7 years. As I remember it, we stood around drinking beer until we got too cold and quit but it was enjoyable.
Old 8 January 2018, 17:18
Been There Done That

Quote:
Your probably right. Not a lot of ice fishing going on here. Actually, it's never even crossed my mind.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 8 January 2018, 17:25
Shakin' the bush Boss

I had a safety line on. Walking around on ice, no matter how thick, will never be a natural feeling for a southerner. I plan to fuck the Army out of many more years of retirement checks and becoming frozen catfish shit is not on my to do list.
Old 8 January 2018, 17:59
Anesthetized User

Quote:
I forgot to say your beard says you have attained FOG status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look. Don'tTouch. View Post
Upper mountain lakes(toward Nevada) freeze over and I've seen folks ice fishing at some. I'd rather hit Tahoe for Mackinaw myself, but to each his own.
Shit I am in Sacramento and forgot about the Ice House area where I hunt. But yeah Loon Lake etc.

Support SOCNET.
Old 8 January 2018, 18:19
Shakin' the bush Boss

I use Just for Men Gel, it was just frosty.
Old 8 January 2018, 19:23
The atomic zit

That “safety” line is mighty slack...

I hope it was tied to mule that would run for hills after you broke through and screamed like a banshee!!! :D
Old 8 January 2018, 21:13
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
"FUCK YOU CATFISH"
Now go get that big fucker that pulled that tree in the hole behind you man.
Old 13 January 2018, 10:01
Shakin' the bush Boss

Quote:
Now go get that big fucker that pulled that tree in the hole behind you man.
It's got a brake rotor tied to it. I find it much easier to put fish cover in when the ice is on, then when it melts, there it goes.

Stretch and I sat in my garage at my lake place last night and drank beer with the door open. Probably 55 degrees. This morning it's like 25 with a howling ass wind. Friggin nasty, and he's out whipping a flyrod. Anxious to see his report later if his fingers aren't frozen off and laying on the creekbank.
Old 13 January 2018, 10:14
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
It's got a brake rotor tied to it. I find it much easier to put fish cover in when the ice is on, then when it melts, there it goes.

Stretch and I sat in my garage at my lake place last night and drank beer with the door open. Probably 55 degrees. This morning it's like 25 with a howling ass wind. Friggin nasty, and he's out whipping a flyrod. Anxious to see his report later if his fingers aren't frozen off and laying on the creekbank.
So the pond is on your property too ? Sounds, and looks like a sweet set-up man.
Fuckin A......It hit close to 60 deg. last night. Snow is gone and the temp. is dropping. Who knows what's in store in the near future ? Sure as fuck not the weather man.
Old 13 January 2018, 10:17
Shakin' the bush Boss

Yeah, pond is on my place. It's small, but I keep it well stocked with bluegill and channel cats. I put 100 3" catfish in it each spring and take them out for food as they reach about 2-3lbs.

Our new posting rules