SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 20 October 2018, 18:35
Newbie shooter

Pixel 3

Just got my pixel 3 XL.

I've always bought them direct from Google. Google will give you 1800 worth of 0.0% loan @ 35 a month. Great way to get Google's latest. If you have an old pixel you can trade it in for up to $300.

Anyway I'm still getting used to the form factor. I think I would still stick with the smaller size unless you really need a large screen. But the XL certainly makes a statement. Android is totally stock and runs flawlessly. The camera is the best I have ever seen.

So far battery life has been excellent. Lock screen has a button that shuts down finger print unlock and otherwise makes the phone more difficult to forensically attack and the storage is encrypted but default. Because it's the Pixel, you know it will get all the updates the first.

Worth checking out.
Old 20 October 2018, 21:14
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local View Post
Just got my pixel 3 XL.

I've always bought them direct from Google. Google will give you 1800 worth of 0.0% loan @ 35 a month. Great way to get Google's latest. If you have an old pixel you can trade it in for up to $300.

Anyway I'm still getting used to the form factor. I think I would still stick with the smaller size unless you really need a large screen. But the XL certainly makes a statement. Android is totally stock and runs flawlessly. The camera is the best I have ever seen.

So far battery life has been excellent. Lock screen has a button that shuts down finger print unlock and otherwise makes the phone more difficult to forensically attack and the storage is encrypted but default. Because it's the Pixel, you know it will get all the updates the first.

Worth checking out.
I've got the Pixel 2 and am seriously considering getting the 3 - not because the 2 is not good "enough", rather because it's so good!
Old 22 October 2018, 06:39
A/1/75

Cool, looking to change out my Sprint S8 to a straight Google Pixel 3. Keep giving feedback!

Charlie
Old 22 October 2018, 10:43
Did...did I do that?

A friend of mine on Twitter talks a bunch about the Pixel.

https://twitter.com/search?l=&q=pixe...ics13&src=typd
Old 22 October 2018, 23:10
Newbie shooter

Ive had pretty much every version of Google's development phones - Nexus to Pixel. Pre ordered every Pixel. I have found them to be the best phones in the game right now.

You just can't beat the upgrade support from Google. The Pixel 1 is still getting updates from Google and will be able to do 85% of what the Pixel 3 can do just because of Google's commitment to getting updates out for them.

I still use Pixel 1's for the secure phones I sell to clients. $160ish for a mid grade used phone, unlock the bootloader, flash our custom cottonmouthOS, add some of our own special sauce, stick a 5 month prepaid sim card registered to some random exchange student and you get a pretty secure, reasonably anonymous communication device you can distribute to clients / team members that they won't have to do anything but use.

The Pixel 2 was where Google really started to get things right. I almost didn't upgrade because my Pixel 2 was still so good. With the stock software updates it only got faster and the battery life got better.

Eventually I upgraded because of how good a deal Google was willing to give me. Can't beat 0% apr / 35 a month + 300 credit when I turn in my pixel 2.

After about a week of use I find I only have to charge it every other day - which is incredible considering the amount of use it gets.

I run three different Google accounts (two business, one personal) and it slides along smooth as butter whether it's loading events from all three accounts to render my calendar or telling me when I need to leave for my next appointment.

The call screening feature is excellent - it's kind of like smart voice mail. I press the button and my Google assistant answers the call for me and finds out who is calling and why and shows me the answers in text format and gives me the option to pick up or not. Almost like having a real answering service.

Eventually the AI will be able to call people for me, setup appointments, book dinner, etc. The AI features are great. To access my assistant from any screen I just squeeze the phone and my assistant pops up. So far as I know Pixel is the only phone that uses squeezing it as a function button. Excellent because for the most part I'm already holding the phone.

If you aren't ready to take the plunge for a pixel 3, take a look at swappa or other third party sites and you can get a Google Pixel 2 unlocked (carrier and bootloader) for reasonably cheap. Then when you're ready to upgrade either trade it in to Google or sell it yourself on swappa and you probably won't lose a dime.

If anyone has any questions or needs help selecting a phone (btdt) please let me know and I'd be happy to help.

Regards,

- Local
Old 22 October 2018, 23:21
Newbie shooter

pixel 2 xl unlocked on Swappa

pixel 2 regular size

Good pricing to be had right now. If this is too expensive the Pixel 1 will get 85 - 90% of the features and do it almost as fast.

If you can afford it the Pixel 2 will run faster and get better battery life and most importantly will hold value better and you will get more for it when you eventually trade it in on a pixel 3.

If you plan to use the phone on Verizon you can get the Verizon version for slightly less. The Verizon version is still sim unlocked so it can go with you when you travel. The only real difference is the Verizon version isn't factory bootloader unlocked. There is a hack that works right now but like all attacks they get closed every day. The Google version carries slightly more value to reflect the fact it's bootloader is factory unlocked.

If you don't care about ever being able to flash a custom rom, and don't mind about the extra resale value the Verizon version could save you a few bucks.

There really isn't another OEM out there that supports updates like Google does. Even Samsung is way behind on security updates / patches and even Apple uses updates to force you to get a new phone. Google is the only OEM committed to updating and standing behind the product you bought.

- Local
Old 26 October 2018, 11:02
Authorized Personnel

Wait.

I stopped at $1800.

Please tell me no one really pays $1800 for a phone.

Plus google is Satan.
Old 26 October 2018, 11:37
A/1/75

1800?
They are 1/2 that

Charlie
Old 27 October 2018, 05:32
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerCharlie View Post
1800?
They are 1/2 that
Maybe that was in a foreign currency?
Old 31 October 2018, 20:18
Been There Done That

I personally have an iPhone X and professionally carry a Pixel 2.

Technically speaking (hardware), I think the Pixel 2 is a better phone and the battery life is fantastic.

From a day to day user platform standpoint, the iPhone X crushes it.

I'd therefore stick with the iPhone just based on iOS but I sure would love to have handy features like squeeze for assistant and Google's native functionality all day.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 1 November 2018, 07:34
A/1/75

In what way? I have not been impressed with my kids iPhones. They tend to be fragile. It seems they are geared to social media.
My phone has to be geared for seemless MS Office and other sim. tools.

Charlie
Old 1 November 2018, 07:42
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerCharlie View Post
In what way? I have not been impressed with my kids iPhones. They tend to be fragile. It seems they are geared to social media.
My phone has to be geared for seemless MS Office and other sim. tools.
It is fast, intuitive, and overall provides all of the functionality you would expect from a high-end smartphone. As a habitual “phone stress tester” the fragility issue is easily mitigated through a $10 screen protector and a $10 rubber case found on Amazon.

As far as your comments about particular software: My employer requires us to use Outlook and my client requires us to use Google. The only thing I find irritating on both the iPhone and Pixel is that I can’t plug in my issues Yubikey without a dongle.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 1 November 2018, 07:57
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
The only thing I find irritating on both the iPhone and Pixel is that I can’t plug in my issues Yubikey without a dongle.
Switch to an NFC Yubikey for the Pixel?

Yubikey has some competition

https://www.amazon.com/OnlyKey-Steal...words=Only+key
Old 1 November 2018, 10:06
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Switch to an NFC Yubikey for the Pixel?

Yubikey has some competition

https://www.amazon.com/OnlyKey-Steal...words=Only+key
I'm hoping Apple will get onboard with the NFC option for Yubikey soon. I'm watching that OnlyKey as a possible upgrade. Do you have one or have you played with it? It looks like it answers my only problem with the Yubikey, which is the limit of two functions.
Old 2 November 2018, 08:15
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fix View Post
I'm hoping Apple will get onboard with the NFC option for Yubikey soon. I'm watching that OnlyKey as a possible upgrade. Do you have one or have you played with it? It looks like it answers my only problem with the Yubikey, which is the limit of two functions.
I do not - still rocking an early version, plain-jane YK. I heard the OnlyKey interview on TCPS Podcast

My threat model isn't that cool - I just need a static, random string to add to the shit in my head, LOL. I like the Plausible Deniability AND Self Destruct features - even though I haven't crossed a border in a decade
Old 5 November 2018, 20:41
Newbie shooter

Lol. Google gives you 1800 worth of credit. Phone is less than half.

Used the rest to order a nest, digital front door lock, a bunch of wifi lights, a doorbell chime camera, a wireless charging stand, and one of Google's new screen interfaces.

Pretty much have the whole IoT / Google home setup. So far it's been pretty amazing.

I like that the Google touch screen home controller doesn't have a camera in it.

With regards to interfaces I think that's just a matter of personal preference. I use my friends iphones and can't stand their interfaces but that's because ive always used Android and they manage to be different enough to be annoying.

For a regular user that just wants something that will work reasonably well the first time I'm not above recommending apple and their walled garden of products.

For someone that likes to tinker a bit and is willing to trade having to fix their own problems sometimes in return for more power and control Android is 100% the way to go.

You can't over look the fact you can get an excellent near stock Android device (motorilla and Nokia have EXCELLENT sub $300 offerings) for less than 1/3rd the cost of an iphone and if all you're going to do is make calls, texts, emails, and browse the web youd have to be a brand whore or a fool to buy a 1k + iPhone.

- Local
Old 28 November 2018, 10:18
A/1/75

Picked up the 3 two weeks ago. I really like it. My wife liked it and asked for one so I gave her the 3 and purchased the XL during the black Friday sale at $200 off.
I think I like the 3 better but am still getting used to it.
Freaking awesome pictures.

Charlie
Old 2 December 2018, 16:37
Been There Done That

Have the Pixel 2 now, which I love. Pixel 3 arrives on Monday. They are excellent devices, and I’m ever so happy I switched from an iPhone 7.

The cameras are stunning.
Old 11 December 2018, 08:12
A/1/75

Went back to the 3 and sent the XL back. The XL was glitchy with Wifi issues.
Night camera mode is great.
Wife is holding out for S10

Charlie
Old 13 December 2018, 07:00
Been There Done That

So far, so good on the Pixel 3. It’s super fast, and the camera is stupidly good for a phone.

Our new posting rules