SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 15 June 2018, 13:35
Confirmed User

Dell Inspiron 5379 With Samsung C27F398FWN Monitor Audio Question

I bought a Dell Inspiron 5379 computer several months ago. A few days ago I bought a Samsung C27F398FWN 27 inch monitor. I have them connected with an HDMI cable, but it also has a Display Port connector on it.

I noticed that a Volume menu comes up when I power up the monitor. I checked the online manual and I don't think there are any internal speakers in the monitor. It does have an audio output (headphone) jack in the rear.

So, I am just trying to determine why that is there. My understanding is that an HDMI cable will pass audio, but since the monitor doesn't have internal speakers, is this just a way to "pass through" audio? If so, why? Don't most computers have a 3.5 mm jack for audio output? Or, have the manufacturer's eliminated that on some laptop computers, thus the reason for the audio pass through?

I am currently using a pair of computer speakers connected directly to the laptop. Would there be any reason to connect those speakers directly to the monitor headphone jack?
Old 15 June 2018, 14:12
Confirmed User

It may just be that Dell loads that software on all their monitors with or without speakers just in case you plug in speakers to the monitor instead of the computer.
Old 15 June 2018, 16:53
The Sagacious One

The operating system senses the connection and offers the service. Try playing with it and see if you can switch the sound to the monitor. I have a dell monitor you would swear has no speakers but does.
Old 15 June 2018, 17:18
Shovel Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
The operating system senses the connection and offers the service. Try playing with it and see if you can switch the sound to the monitor. I have a dell monitor you would swear has no speakers but does.
Windows key, type in sound, adjust to taste; disable whichever you like and so forth.

And RemTech hit it too. The monitors software is simply trying to help you in case you want to use the headphone jack. You can prob disable that too, in the monitors menu.

Our new posting rules