SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Naval Special Warfare > SEAL Phony Check - DO NOT post before Reading the stickies

Old 25 November 2018, 23:58

Red face Stolen Valor

To Whom It May Concern,

I am in need of help.

One of my closest friends started a company roughly 6 months ago. About the same time he met a man that seemed really smart, well spoken, and had tons of Wall Street connections. My friend decided to name him acting CEO of
the company. In recent months, this guy’s entire attitude and demeanor has completed changed. Threats, Acts of Insecurity, Insults, Mood Swings, and extremely odd behavior has now become commonplace.

This man’s name is Dan Watkins.

The reason I requested access to this site is because this man claims to have been a Navy’s Seal. He states it publicly, and even has it listed on his LinkedIn professional business profile.

If this man is a seal, I can almost guarantee that he is suffering from some sort of emotional trauma, PTSD, substance abuse problem, or even Mental Disorder, where we can hopefully get him the help he needs.

However, I find it very odd that any man that claims to be a Navy Seal would act so dishonorably towards coworkers, and even has threatened the founding partners of the company. I am seriously wondering if this is an act of a Stolen Valor.

Can someone on here please check the credentials of Dan Watkins, who claims to have completed GMM/3 Buds for Navy Seal training and service out of San Diego. CA, and states service record from May 1993-August 2001.

My only Goal is to Protect my friend from public ridicule and himilitiatio. With his company for naming this man CEO of his company, and offer help to this guy who seems to be very sick. If he is guilty of disgracing the Navy in any way, he should be held accountable.

Please Help. Any guidance of Information would be helpful.
Old 27 November 2018, 14:55
Administrator

No one named "Dan Watkins" or Daniel Watkins" was ever a Navy SEAL.
Old 27 November 2018, 19:41

Thank You...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog View Post
No one named "Dan Watkins" or Daniel Watkins" was ever a Navy SEAL.
First, I would like to thank you for taking the time to look into the matter. On behalf of the men and women who work at the company, I would like to express our sincerest gratitude for confirming what many of us already believed.

Do you have any recommendations for how to report this individual to the appropriate authorities?

He has taken money, investment contributions, and received a generous sum of equity in the company, all under the false pretense that he is a former Navy SEAL with an impeccable service record. From my understanding, that is the epitome of a federal violation of the Stolen Valor act of 2013, and should be reported. I am not sure to what authority tho. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks Again

EC
Old 27 November 2018, 21:32
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action33 View Post
First, I would like to thank you for taking the time to look into the matter. On behalf of the men and women who work at the company, I would like to express our sincerest gratitude for confirming what many of us already believed.

Do you have any recommendations for how to report this individual to the appropriate authorities?

He has taken money, investment contributions, and received a generous sum of equity in the company, all under the false pretense that he is a former Navy SEAL with an impeccable service record. From my understanding, that is the epitome of a federal violation of the Stolen Valor act of 2013, and should be reported. I am not sure to what authority tho. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks Again

EC
Forgive an Army puke from intruding on this deck?

Many states have gone from the common law crimes such as obtaining money under false pretenses and fraud, to what they call theft. But all of the underlying conduct is still illegal,

I suspect that if you see your local prosecuting attorney, they have an intake section that may accept your complaint based upon the facts you present.

If this fraud has involved interstate commerce, and depending upon the amount of money involved, federal authorities may be willing to entertain your complaint. A lot of that depends upon how you present it.

YMMV but please, burn him.

Back to the Army related forums and my lane.

Our new posting rules