SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 8 September 2018, 16:53
Anesthetized User

http://www.primaloptions.com

Support SOCNET.
Old 8 September 2018, 16:59
Grinder Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Do you make those for common knife designs? Take my money! I tried to find your website, but could only find your FB page. What's your URL?
We can make them for just about anything although the bigger the knife the better, under 4" blades usually need the static cord.

Our site is primaloptions.com but messaging me here is fine and will get you better discounts.
Old 8 September 2018, 18:22
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKarma View Post
Our site is primaloptions.com but messaging me here is fine and will get you better discounts.
I always forget that, and end up searching for "Bad Karma" knives.
Old 8 September 2018, 21:46
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKarma View Post
The frog button on the sheath rides on your belt or top of the pants usually IWB but some people wear it between the belt and pants. The static cord just adds extra security.
It's extremely secure and comfortable while providing amazing concealment.
I have the same knife and sheath. It works very well as described here. As I said before- Bk's disrupter is my favorite knife.
Old 25 September 2018, 14:30
Anesthetized User

New Benchmade Griptilian. Love the Griptilian line. Sturdy, sharp, easily takes an edge and stays sharp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0804440A-D14B-4280-B88C-B9A5F32FFF2D.jpeg (52.4 KB, 399 views)

Support SOCNET.

Last edited by Expatmedic; 25 September 2018 at 14:46.
Old 29 September 2018, 10:05

Seeking input about stag handles, particularly in a working knife.
Barring finding an original at a reasonable cost, I'm looking at a newer AG Russell Sting to take hunting and not all that excited about the micarta (?) handle, which leaves stag.

Any experience with use when wet, bloody, gloves? Slippery, awkward, secure?

Thanks.
DaveP
Old 29 September 2018, 11:05
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
Seeking input about stag handles, particularly in a working knife.
Barring finding an original at a reasonable cost, I'm looking at a newer AG Russell Sting to take hunting and not all that excited about the micarta (?) handle, which leaves stag.

Any experience with use when wet, bloody, gloves? Slippery, awkward, secure?

Thanks.
DaveP
I find Micarta and G10 both to be excellent choices for a knife. I give a slight edge to micarta. When I test out knives I'll sometimes coat my hand with oil to test retention and grip. I find that micarta stays "put" in my hand. G10 is good also depending on checkering etc.

Note: I prefer an aggressive texture on grips.
Old 30 September 2018, 05:54

GPC, thanks for the micarta rec. Apparently the original-run (circa '77) came in that and maybe a wood; most recent options appear to be stag and cocobolo.

Found this thread, which suggests good handling and excellent durability:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/...ality.1600138/

I was incorrectly equating stag with bone (figured slippery and prone to cracking/chipping) versus compressed hair characteristics.
Leaning that way now.

DaveP
Old 2 November 2018, 17:50

After the above posts, finally decided on a Puma IP Cervato for my hunting kit. First one shipped had a bolster that sat proud up off the handle surface, enough to be annoying in-hand. The company was very good about sending a replacement, which has even nicer stag.

Really nice size for my hobbit mitts, and great weight-forward balance; I suspect it would be a good skinner. Need to hook up with a bird or bunny and put it to use.

DaveP
Old 5 November 2018, 17:11
Been There Done That

Nice!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 24 November 2018, 22:59
Confirmed User

Any suggestions for a gift for a High School aged son? My friend is looking for a folding "working knife" that will be something his son could use, and maybe pass on to his own son. He was talking $200, custom folder. I told him "custom + folder + durable is a minimum of $1000.

I think he would pay more for the right knife, but $300 would be pushing the budget. What brands should he consider?
Old 24 November 2018, 23:11
Anesthetized User

Talk to BadKarma, I think he might build folders.

Or...

X-RGR for a custom Tomahawk.

The one he made for me is in this thread IIRC.

Simply amazing work.

Support SOCNET.

Last edited by Expatmedic; 24 November 2018 at 23:18.
Old 28 November 2018, 13:17
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosty View Post
Any suggestions for a gift for a High School aged son? My friend is looking for a folding "working knife" that will be something his son could use, and maybe pass on to his own son. He was talking $200, custom folder. I told him "custom + folder + durable is a minimum of $1000.

I think he would pay more for the right knife, but $300 would be pushing the budget. What brands should he consider?
I picked up one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Zero-Tolerance-0452CF-Dual-Finished-Ball-Bearing/dp/B00UGN81B6 and then had a modified clip put on. The pocket clip allows you to put to much pressure on the handle making it hard to open. Here is what I got. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Titanium-Low-Rider-Pocket-Clip-Made-For-Zero-Tolerance-ZT0452CF-Knife/173339250766?epid=854992898&hash=item285bd3104e:g: G0QAAOSweltbDC0g:rk:25f:0 The 4" blade is great for heavy chores.

If he's looking for a family heirloom a quality hand made knife has always cost about a weeks salary. More depending on if its and exhibition or museum quality knife.
Old 28 November 2018, 14:08
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosty View Post

Custom folders aren't $200, that's for sure. Loads of outstanding, bomb proof knives at the $200 price point though, like hundreds of choices, and some are on par with customs. You can get Badass zero tolerance or spyderco knives with exotic steel at the price.

I recently discovered r/knife_swap. It's a beautiful nightmare, I want them all. I traded some audio gear for a zero tolerance 0808ti, should arrive today or tomorrow.

Last edited by poison; 28 November 2018 at 14:15.
Old 30 November 2018, 14:44
Confirmed User

0808ti is NICE! Ridiculously smooth, small enough to be comfy day to day, beefy blade for it's size, and rock solid construction.
Old 4 December 2018, 16:15
Confirmed User

Zero Tolerance makes a great production knife, I actually like the Hinderer designs they produce more than actual custom Hinderers. I used to work at Arizona Custom Knives so I've been able to hold/play with/collect some amazing knives over the years.
Old 4 December 2018, 17:23
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copecwby20 View Post
Zero Tolerance makes a great production knife, I actually like the Hinderer designs they produce more than actual custom Hinderers. I used to work at Arizona Custom Knives so I've been able to hold/play with/collect some amazing knives over the years.
They have taken some of my money. Great place to see a bunch of custom knives.
Old 4 December 2018, 22:14
Freelancer

Half Face blades is making folders.
Old 4 December 2018, 23:01
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by knifemaker View Post
They have taken some of my money. Great place to see a bunch of custom knives.
And they are the only dealer to leave all the prices up. Itís a good reference for current market pricing when looking at knives with a secondary value.

When people question how much money I have tied up in my Burnley/Swan/Rogers collections I can always point them to that website.
Old 7 December 2018, 23:25
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Half Face blades is making folders.
They have a hell of a social media presence, never heard of them though. Pretty cool stuff.

Our new posting rules