SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 5 December 2018, 23:01
Confirmed User

Meh. No shock here- that the dumbasses in Portland would pull a stunt like this...or that it wouldn't be the big deal that they pretended it would be.

The mounted patrol in Portland is...not that much. They go out for all the parades, maybe they go into Forest Park (although I never saw or heard of them there) on occasion...but they don't have a real role. Though it was always funny to come across a pile of horsecrap in the middle of downtown or watch them roust a bum without getting off their horse... That's really all I ever saw them do- ride around the Chinatown/Burnside area of downton Portland...and only during the day. Some days. When the weather was good (ever been to Portland?) And parades or cerromonial things of course.

Maybe they have changed since I was in Portland, but I doubt it. I think the idea is dumb, and just another indication of how the Portland political class and aristocracy thinks of the police and their role, and while the money could have been spent elsewhere with better results...this is nothing more than a political stunt so they can say they did it. Doubt it will change the reality of policing the downtown core that much.

And the average gimp that makes up the Portland population at this point (and votes all to frequently) will lap it up.
Old 5 December 2018, 23:29
Been There Done That

[QUOTE=Jakers;1058766751]

The mounted patrol in Portland is...not that much. They go out for all the parades, maybe they go into Forest Park (although I never saw or heard of them there) on occasion...but they don't have a real role. QUOTE]

I used to think the same, and I grew up in NYC, where the mounted patrol presence was really big in Manhattan. Until, WTO here in Seattle. I was amazed how those horses were used during the rioting. A mounted officer "rescued" a member of my team when a rioter ripped off his gas mask. He lost his bearings, couldn't see (yea, there is a reason they don't recommend contacts), and was surrounded by a mob of rioters. He could not move out from the mob. He felt someone grab the handle on the back of his vest, and he felt himself being guided through the crowd, and people were getting moved out of the way, creating a little cloud of silence. It was a mounted officer, using his horse walking sideways to push through the crowd to get him out.

Now granted, that was probably a once in a lifetime event, and I concur that circumstances for mounted patrols are pretty limited. That's why I recommend using those officers in bicycle or other positions, not just doing away with those patrol based positions totally.

Last edited by Tonydec; 5 December 2018 at 23:35.
Old 6 December 2018, 08:47
Been There Done That

^THAT is pretty awesome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 6 December 2018, 14:00
Firearm Industry Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu King Lawyer View Post
Where do I begin? Retired LEO, here. One of the things we were always taught was to come home to spouse and kids at the end of the shift.
Respectfully, and this isnít a jab at you on any way, but it would seem that the mindset so saturated in the LE culture that itís the first thing you learned...itís the same mindset causing public support for such absurd ideas (by previous standards) to grow. Not only because it suggests a need to do whatever, to whoever, if it can improve your chances of being safe, but itís a time proven method of creating a sense of tribal removal in ones perception. If you say ďYouíre part of us now, and everyone wants us dead, so we all have to do whatever it takes to protect each other from EVERYONE ELSEĒ, even men with a strong sense of moral integrity would be hard pressed to speak up if he felt something wrong was done. Especially if it was done in the interest of safety, whether necessary or not.

If LE and public service was the job title for folks running direct action raids into tunnel systems in Syria or something, that mindset wouldnít be such a powder keg. The problem seems to be that, if this perceived threat happens to be incorrect and an innocent person dies (or unnecessary loss of life occurs, even if not innocent), thereís a sense for those outside the LE profession that thereís no or little accountability.

Ever since the Jose Guarena thread here about 7 or 8 years ago, my faith in the system I gave the benefit of the doubt (like so many people grew up believing) was shaken. In that time it *appears* that as technology provides more oversight capability, the lack of accountability is leading to increased frustration. What was dismissed or went unnoticed in the past is now something that is almost always being recorded. Thereís a lot of unwarranted criticism, I recognize that, but there are also a lot of incidents taking place that cause legitimate concerns. When the only thing that makes someoneís actions acceptable is this belief that it was okay if it made someone feel safe, when anyone else would be facing serious criminal charges, people stop being as ready to accept that one groupís safety is any more important than the rest of us. I also want to go home safe to my family at the end of the day, I donít imagine many people donít want that, so why is that even a concept that needs to be addressed or prioritized?

What it seems to boil down to is that, more and more, ďthe publicĒ has stopped being patient. This nonsense in Portland probably wonít go anywhere, but give it another five years on the same trend the last decade has shown and it might be a reality. And not just in that one city. The idea is gaining traction. For so long, public protests or voiced concerns about the legality of some LE actions has been a cavalier ďif you donít like it, change the lawsĒ response. Well...this is a glimpse of what itíll look like when the public does exactly that. And as public servants, the people have every right to do so.

This isnít an anti-LE post, despite it maybe looking that way. Iím fact itís the opposite. I donít want to see good men and women in Law Enforcement being hurt or worse because the backlash is so restrictive. You should be able to be armed to protect yourself as well as I am, and the public can choose to be. I hope more in LE start taking this seriously and looking at the issues with validity and acting accordingly. Being dismissive, calling anyone who voices concerns ďlibtardsĒ or insinuating theyíre supporting criminals isnít a good way to reverse the momentum the frustrated public has been given over the years. The Richard Black shooting has been yet another rallying cry, the horrible hallway shooting in the Mesa hotel before that being such a difficult thing for people to accept as on the up and up, and I donít imagine itíll be long before the next bodycam outrage comes along. Hopefully things will improve for everyoneís sake.

Stay safe out there Gents, apologies for the intrusion.

Rest Easy SOTB
Old 7 December 2018, 12:00
BTDT

When the people want disarmed law enforcement - and they vote to change the laws - they will get disarmed law enforcement.

Good idea, bad idea, doesn't matter - there is someone out there RIGHT NOW that is waiting to appeal to voters based on the Blazer-Police construct.
When citizens are ready for it, police will turn their swords into plow shares...
Why?
Because the police are part of the voter base - they will disarm willingly when the time is right.
The left is a treasonous movement. The Democrats became a treasonous organization when they fell under the sway of a movement that rejects our system of government, its laws, and its elections. Now their treason is coming to a head.
- Daniel Greenfield
Old 7 December 2018, 21:59
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
When the people want disarmed law enforcement - and they vote to change the laws - they will get disarmed law enforcement.
But has that happened in this case? The article makes no mention if this was an election promise/issue. It reads as though the Mayor just shat the idea out one morning, picked it up and decided it tasted like something he'd want to eat every day.
Old Yesterday, 16:40
Been There Done That

Just was talking to a lady who moved back here from Portland less than a year ago. One of the reasons she moved was cause the panhandling was so bad. Homeless addicts everywhere downtown, and Police not really doing nothing about it.

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old Today, 11:54
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Just was talking to a lady who moved back here from Portland less than a year ago. One of the reasons she moved was cause the panhandling was so bad. Homeless addicts everywhere downtown, and Police not really doing nothing about it.
This is getting worse EVERYWHERE, and no agencies seem to be doing much about it.

I've seen intersections in ABQ that have a panhandler at all four median strips.
Old Today, 12:03
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
This is getting worse EVERYWHERE, and no agencies seem to be doing much about it.

I've seen intersections in ABQ that have a panhandler at all four median strips.
Same when I went to Nashville. Except there, they all had a Newspaper they were holding to sell to you.

That Newspaper "The Contributor" at least allowed them to gain money to help in their plight and offered a fair exchange of goods/money.
Old Today, 12:31
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by litepath View Post
Same when I went to Nashville. Except there, they all had a Newspaper they were holding to sell to you.

That Newspaper "The Contributor" at least allowed them to gain money to help in their plight and offered a fair exchange of goods/money.
Yeah DC had something like that where it was a paper written, produced, printed and distributed by homeless people.

I never minded giving a buck for it. I did mind when the next one trying to sell me one didn't bother seeing I already had one in my hand.
Old Today, 12:40
Aww F**K it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post

Our city used to ticket them for panhandling but I was told there was a court decision stating that panhandling is their First Amendment right and to ticket them was infringing on them. Now they are everywhere. Many of my friends that own/run businesses complain about them and their trash they leave all over the place. But the cops cannot do anything about it.

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Romans 13:4

Our new posting rules